RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2005 Northern Star basement heat?

Does anyone know if a 2005 Northern Star has a heated basement? If so, where the heck do I turn it on? If not, I am thinking of installing a thermal cube and a 60watt bulb. Thoughts?

I did an advanced search in the Newmar forum and didn't get any results that were helpful.

Thanks in advance

Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Not familiar with your particular model, however, from what little I know, it seems that basement heat is normally pumped into the area of the water bay and water tanks (fresh and holding). We have had a Winnebago Class A, a DSDP, and now a VTDP. All three had similar basement heat provisions. It automatically runs whenever the cabin furnace runs. Not sure if it runs with the dash heat.

Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You didn't say what you had for heat if a gas furnace it would have a foil tube in water bay with a 12 volt fan in it that would cycle with the furnace when it comes on and there would be a fan switch on your water bay panel marked fan.
aiaf you have Aqua Hot you may have a heater grill behind the water bay panel with a temp sensor to activate the fan for grill.
I had plenty of heat in below 0 temp tanks were very happy on all my Newmars.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #4

Mine does. The switch is in the water bay for mine.

You will be very pleased with the cold weather performance. We were living in our Northern Star for 3 months while the house was being built, and in an area that never gets snow, they got a LOT of snow and it was very cold for 3 weeks. We woke up to 9 degrees one morning. We had never been in weather that cold in the coach. We used the propane heater and had electric heaters in the coach. We used less propane than anyone else in the park and never had an issue. One coach in the park had all of their tanks freeze solid and they did not defrost for over a week - ugh. So we are very happy with the insulation in our Northern Star.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
Not familiar with your particular model, however, from what little I know, it seems that basement heat is normally pumped into the area of the water bay and water tanks (fresh and holding). We have had a Winnebago Class A, a DSDP, and now a VTDP. All three had similar basement heat provisions. It automatically runs whenever the cabin furnace runs. Not sure if it runs with the dash heat.
Thanks for the information, it's appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
Mine does. The switch is in the water bay for mine.

You will be very pleased with the cold weather performance. We were living in our Northern Star for 3 months while the house was being built, and in an area that never gets snow, they got a LOT of snow and it was very cold for 3 weeks. We woke up to 9 degrees one morning. We had never been in weather that cold in the coach. We used the propane heater and had electric heaters in the coach. We used less propane than anyone else in the park and never had an issue. One coach in the park had all of their tanks freeze solid and they did not defrost for over a week - ugh. So we are very happy with the insulation in our Northern Star.
Thank you for that bit of information, we pick the coach up this Thursday to finally bring it home.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"OO7",

Thanks for all of your suggestions, brochures, user manuals and sage advice. I really do appreciate it.

Tags
heat