Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

2006 Essex - HWH learning experience in progress

Just had a recent trip to Fools Hollow Campground in Showlow, AZ. Pulled into a nice, flat concrete pad and started the leveling process. The Essex does its normal positioning until a loud whine comes from the front of the MH.

This noise is concerning, but there isn't much for me to do but endure. At some point the HWH shuts down and its all quiet. Upon inspection, I can see 3 jacks are down and the rear tires are nearly off the ground (left front jack is still up).

I am uncomfortable with putting out the slides without extended jacks. I don't have any internet access at this site, so I read the HWH manuals I have with me. No real help specific to this situation, so I decide to try again.

I store the jacks and get ready for travel. I then start the leveling process again. Same noisy process and same 3 extended jack result. But, this time, the excess slope indicator is lit.

I resign myself to the situation and extend only the slides that are supported by jacks (did not extend the front off-door slide).

Next day, I get internet service and do some reading. Think about calling for service... knowing this just may be a training call. But, the only HWH tech in the area is too busy. I got some WD40 and lubed all the jacks as best I could.

We did not have sewer hook ups, so after a few days we had to move. I pulled in the slides and stored the jacks. I wanted to try a different position on the pad, so I pulled to the very front and leveled the coach. Same result... but this time the HWH panel was unresponsive when I tried to store the jacks to travel.

I had done enough reading to learn about the "Manual lighted switch". I went to the fuse bay and sure enough, the dangling switch was glowing red. I pressed the switch and the HWH panel became functional.

Fearful that I was over working (over heating the HWH system), I wait 20 minutes and then stored the jacks. I visited the dump station, returned and leveled the coach again. 3 jacks down, pretty noisy process and the excess slope indicator is lit.

Got home a few days after that and leveled the coach in a flat, level parking lot. Everything worked fine. 4 jacks down with no excess noise.

Lessons learned... I think.
1. I have read elsewhere that it is not uncommon for the 4th jack to extend if the other 3 jacks cannot achieve level.
2. The excess noise may be caused by low fluids. I will check the fluids the next time I visit the coach.
3. the front jack are not extending evenly in time. I suspect this can also be caused by low fluids.
4. There is some kind of work duty cycle for the HWH system. Extending and retracting the jacks requires some kind of rest period. I think retracting, extending and the retracting the jacks caused the HWH to shutdown... requiring the manual reset.

Comments anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	106393  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

My guess would be that you are low on hydraulic fluid for your jack system, but that just a guess.
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good write up Skier and yes your fluid is low you can find all HWH info in
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/orig...ods-18509.html plus all slide info.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #4

I checked the HWH oil level and it is about 1/4 inch low.

I have been waiting 2 days now for HWH to call me back so I can place my order for a quart of oil. I also need a new breather cap as the threads are cross threaded.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #5

Thanks for the info and please keep us updated.

Bruce

Tags
hwh