Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

2006 Mountain Aire

Ok I have almost talked my DW into a diesel pusher. I have found a very nice 06 40' MA (400hp) that has been taken very good care of. Chatter of fact it has never been cooked in and has 30,000ish miles. DW thinks this is old, is she correct or can you guys help me in convincing her this is a good buy for the long term. It is not a tag axle but it should handle the cross winds much better.
StuartCaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #2

We bought our 2005 MADP in April 2015. Moved in for full-timing the same day. 52K miles. No issues. Runs and functions very well.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #3

You have good taste.
You will not regret buying a Newmar. Only caution, make sure to do your do-diligence and have the coach inspected before you lay down the money. Don't sweat the small stuff but pay close attention to the major components and negotiate your price accordingly.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #4

Bought a 2003 w/64,000 miles in 2012, loaded it, drove 9,231 miles on a speed trip to see g-kids. Zero issues. Did install new shocks half way, but they were original and it was time. It was a one owner well cared for unit, and I've been very happy with our purchase. Maintenance records, and if possible a phone call to previous owner (I was lucky there) help with any doubts.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCaw View Post
Ok I have almost talked my DW into a diesel pusher. I have found a very nice 06 40' MA (400hp) that has been taken very good care of. Chatter of fact it has never been cooked in and has 30,000ish miles. DW thinks this is old, is she correct or can you guys help me in convincing her this is a good buy for the long term. It is not a tag axle but it should handle the cross winds much better.
I'm also looking at a 2006 MA, but the 3743 with only 68,000km. It's in beautiful shape. I can't believe it's 10 years old it still looks like new and the building quality is exceptional.
rurocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
The only warning other than having the mechanicals checked out is you may have to do a bit of updating on the electronics. On my recently purchased 2007 I ended up replacing the TVs, speakers, satellite dish, the stereo electronics, changed the wiring to HDMI and will shortly be changing to a hybrid pure sine wave inverter...

That being said I've heard of many people that have 2002 coaches that have the entire interior ripped out and replaced. They figure that $60-$80k is cheaper than a $300 to $400k depreciating asset.... The idea being is if you have a strong foundation the coach can literally last a lifetime as long as you keep up on maintaining it.
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We bought a '07 KSDP 3912 a year and a half ago. 40k miles. It was rough on the inside, and we negotiated for that. Thought I had done a thorough inspection myself ( this was our 4th coach) turns out I didn't and it has been expensive. Wish I wasn't so tight, I should have hired a professional third party inspector.

Problems/ Failures
Basement fridge failed two weeks after we got to home
Roof had a leak( that had been repaired..) some real rotten under decking not visible, whole new roof was $6500
Coolant sensor failed, got dreaded stop engine light 500 miles from home.
Engine batteries failed.
Toilet had to be replaced, tried two kits to repair before replacement.
Kitchen slide out started hanging and dragging on edge. Hidden subfloor had some dry rot and mechanism shimmed and adjusted $2400
Today it is in the body shop getting clear coat on top cap redone ..$400

And lots and lots of smaller low dollar things we have refurbished, updated, or replaced.

With that said.....we love Newmar, and think they are the best brand to buy. Our issues had to do with improper care and hidden damage. We bought this rig at a good price, and experience had taught us to plan for $10K to get a used coach to our liking. This one has been more than that, and we have a few thing left on our wishlist, but hopefully those are optional things we can do when we want to, not when we have too.

Again pay for a thorough inspection, including tranny and engine oil analysis.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Older quality coach is preferable over newer lesser quality coach. IMHO.

Establish your budget and then roll back through the years till you find a fit.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good luck to both StuartCaw and rurocking maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
Below in my signature you will find many links to information for maybe your future Newmars.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels in your to be Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #10

Me had an 05 Madp before our current Essex the Madp was a great coach you will love it just look it over good but Newmar builds a great unit
Old 09-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two DSDP's. The last one, a 2002 4090, was the most dependable rig we've ever had even after 13 years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
We bought a '07 KSDP 3912 a year and a half ago. 40k miles. It was rough on the inside, and we negotiated for that. Thought I had done a thorough inspection myself ( this was our 4th coach) turns out I didn't and it has been expensive. Wish I wasn't so tight, I should have hired a professional third party inspector.

Again pay for a thorough inspection, including tranny and engine oil analysis.
Same here when we traded the '02 DSDP for the Magna, but even then an oil analysis won't pick up engine parts that are about to break. The Magna had been stored inside for several months and the two foggy windows didn't show up until it was outside and we were on our way to Phoenix. The drivers window leaked, again, didn't catch it till we got back home and it rained heavily. Have it fixed now. Knew it needed new tires since they are dated 2007 but they have no cracks showing at all. The auto gen start doesn't work and didn't when we picked it up the person doing the PDI said they'd look at it when we got back, but didn't write it into the paperwork and when we got back he had changed jobs. Still need to get that fixed!
MotoSat controller burned out so that was just over $800. Last trip out the Carefree Apex controller quit, so another $450. The last two were OK at the dealers so no inspection would have caught it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:10 AM   #13

Thanks for all the info. I bought our current my 4 years ago it is a newmar canyon star. The quality that our coach has now 10 years old is the reason I will stay with newmar.
StuartCaw is offline   Reply With Quote