RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #1

2007 Slideout Issue

I have a 2007 dutchstar 4 slide.My driver side kitchen slide when going out goes about a foot and stops.The bottom of the slide is moving out but the top seems to be binding and tilted at the top.If I bring it back in a little the top then goes out and lines up with the bottom.Need help with this please.
Tom
ltmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #2

The bottom of that slide out is rock solid. The top is free except for the slideout topper. My guess is the topper is binding and causing the slide to stop. Put the slide out and assess the topper.

Before doing that, check the motor mounting bolts and make sure they are tight.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #3

Slideout

You may be on to something.I’ll check that out
Thanks.
Tom
Old 10-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Angry Bigger slideout problems!

2006 Essex 4508. My Essex is at Dealer in Phoenix because living room slideout floor completely rotted out from long-term water infiltration causing the floor that the rollers and carpet attach to (not the stationary subfloor) to fail & separate completely from the vertical portion of the room. Had to pry up on the fascia while having wife push the switch so the room would retract.
So asked dealer to inspect other 3 slides while it was in the shop. They just called and said ALL 4 slideout room's floors were rotting and would likely fail soon. Dealer said it appeared that the black rubbery material that covers the underside of the slides was not keeping the water out. They said it looked like it had been going on for years. Would be about $40K-$50K and at least a month and a half to repair. No bueno!
So now I’m talking to them about how many $$ they will give me as a tradein on a new Entegra. I sure didn’t expect to be buying a new coach this year but it is what it is.
Anybody else seen this problem? If not, you might want to do a thorough inspection.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
To late now but the slides bottom sides should have had a dam of sealant built up on ridge edge outside of sidewall to deflect the water to ground before entering the coach floor.
You need to fold back the rubber seal, at bottom of slide seal near floor, to see the dam of sealant behind the rubber seal.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #6

Do you have any pictures to help us see what you are describing.
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
These pictures are from a 2007 thread may help you, read the posts.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #8

Slideout issue

I am seeing the roller tube sagging just slightly in the center when the slide is out making me think the slide when going out is hanging up on the tube.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will be adding a thread dealing with wet floors and rotting out of the LR large slide ramp, many owners of older coach's with one to four slides may need this information as in post #7.
I have also been involved with some members who have a old coach whose wood ramp are rotting out from water getting under the metal plates and causing problems with the rollers going over the non support under them as they roll over the ramp.
All coach's can get these problems with all slide locations with water intrusion on to the floors and under the rugs which will hold to water at the lower corners of slides if there is no sealant dam on the lower edge of slides by the trim pice of metal collecting water and feeding into the floor of coach.
All my Newmars were always checked by me every season before camping because the sealant will dry out and allow the water intrusion on to the coach floor inside plus under the plates on ramp and under the plates.
The thread will be placed on forum and the check list in large sticky and the new slide info thread, Slides the Good, Bad and Ugly.
It will take me some time to collect the info so stay tuned.
Ramp problem from the world down under.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
007, thanks for all the time and attention you give to organizing and curating all this info for us. While this time it was too late for me I hope that you will have helped someone else in avoiding a problem that, for me, was the end of my Essex. I will be sad to see it go but at 15 years old it doesn’t make sense to spend the $50k+ and 2 months to try to repair it. Thanks to Azskier, 007 and everyone else who shared their experiences over the last 5 year. You folks made a huge difference for me. You’ll probably see me on the Entegra forums in the future as I learn the ins and outs of the new Entegra Aspire 44W.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good luck in your new adventure with new coach, some items in them can be found in COM_NET if you have a problem.
Enjoy and safe travels.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will be starting the thread all about water problems in MH's which many older owners will need to view and new coach owners need to keep water problems from causing a problem in the future.
Will cover all the slide water problems and engine water problems with Ford, Workhorse and a possible problem with a DP.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #13
Commercial Member

slightly bent slide topper tubes are the cause of most of the situation you describe.
there is no other test you can do except get up on a ladder and watch the extension of the room. if it stops when the tube is touching the top of the slider, force it past and see it it runs out after that.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #14

I just went thru the same problem you are having. Our 2008 Outlaw slideout starting sticking about 3/4 of the way out.. The wife complained that it was jerking the last 2-3 times she had put it out...
This time it stopped about 1/2 way out.... Upon checking it, after running it in and out a few times, we found if we pushed on it outward it would go all the way out. I could see the topper jerking and it was rubbing on the top of the slideout.. In fact it had black on the topper from all the rubbing...
I could get on a ladder and move the arms that hold the large aluminum roller. I felt like the internal springs were catching as well... So I pulled everything off and pulled it apart. Springs were ok, but the end caps that the
roller turned on were worn out completly. the half inch hole in the endcap was double the size oblong one direction..
I couldnt find just the caps, even running around elkhart to all the RV places.
The only way I could get them was with the springs. 120 bucks each I think it was.. So I got some bushings, drilled the cap out and JB welded the bushings in place. Keeps the roller centered and no more wobbing .
The problem was. It didnt fix the problem... It still hit the slide out and stalled it from coming out all the way and was rubbing...
So I stared at it for a long time.. Trying to figure out why was it rubbing..
The roller ends are fixed... the arms arent bent..The roller tube was straight.
I then grabbed hold of the arms at the end of the roller and was able to pull the whole large roller away from the slide almost 2 inchs. The arms that mount on the hex shaped aluminum mounts had play in them.. The female hex slides over the male hex and when new was probably no play, but now had a lot of play.. I could pivot the arm back and forth a ton.
So, what I did was. I took a block of 2 by 3 wood and pulled the roller away from the slideout wall and wedged the wood between them. then drilled 2 new holes in the hex mounts and the hex arms.. Taking up this slack and keeping the roller away from the slide wall.... (sorry I cant explain this very well).
It WORKED..! the roller is now about 1.5 inches away from hitting the slideout wall... The slideout runs in and out smoothly and no jerking...

I did find later a place in elkhart and on Ebay where you can buy the new hex mounts, but didnt see the arms with them, but maybe you can get them too. Or do like I did.. Redrill and re-align..

No pictures, but I could take some sat. if you need...
Bob

Tags
2007, slide, slideout