Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #1

Hello
We are currently looking at neither a Dutch Star or a Dutch Aire and i was just wondering if we should go with the 2008 or with the 2009. I am just worried if we do with the 2009 sense it is a new line that there will be some bugs that they will need to work out and we have had so many problems with out last coach that i really dont want that to happen again.

Thanks for your input
Branden

Workhorse R-Series Chassis
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #2

Hello
We are currently looking at neither a Dutch Star or a Dutch Aire and i was just wondering if we should go with the 2008 or with the 2009. I am just worried if we do with the 2009 sense it is a new line that there will be some bugs that they will need to work out and we have had so many problems with out last coach that i really dont want that to happen again.

Thanks for your input
Branden

Workhorse R-Series Chassis
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #3

I don't think the changes between the years or models are significant enough to cause any concerns on the bugs. I would go with the 09 for sure as you will get much more for your money.
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #4

They are essentially the same unit for the same price, plus or minus a couple of grand. The 09 will look a little different because they are including things the 08's normally would have specials for but in the end the pricing is just about the same.

If it was me I'd go for the 09 all things constant.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here's another vote for the '09 Dutch Aire.

The main difference between the '08 Dutch Star and the '09 Dutch Aire, is appearance and some upgraded features.

It's not really a new line.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Agree w/all that has been said.

If Dutch Aire go w/2009. However, if I understand the review posts correctly the 2009 Dutch Star might have been de-contented over the 2008. The 2008 40' DSDP might have more options than 2009.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #7

Commercial Member

Brandon, Newmar does life cycle changes on their product lines every 3 or 4 years. Sometimes they are significant like it was from the 2006 MADP to the 2007. However, most times the changes are more subtle. New front and rear caps, different windows and ceilings, new dash set-up, etc.

The Dutch Star was due for a cycle change and they decided to have the Dutch Star take the Kountry Star's price point with much of the KSDP's features. It is not the 2008 KSDP, as it has some improvements, but it does compete in roughly the same price point.

The new 09 Dutch Aire now competes in the same price point as the the 08 DSDP. It also has a few features added, so it is not just a renamed DSDP. However, the features are similar and it is roughly the same price point.

I'm sure these changes were made because of something we call "market creep". Market creep is when a manufacturer keeps adding features and improvements that customers request until the price "creeps" up and gets out of the intended price point. It happens with all manufacturers and usually with the most popular lines.

Dutch Star has been Newmar's flagship brand for many years. The most popular DSDP model has gone from a single slide, 300 HP 38' coach to a 43' tag axle, 4 slide 425 HP full-paint coach. All in the last 7 or 8 years. These new standard features come at a cost. Really, the 2008 DSDP is arguably close to the old London Aire--only better with more slides.

Newmar owners are reluctant to trade in their old DSDP for a KSDP, even though the KSDP has many more features than their DSDP. It just FEELS like they are trading down. That's why you see manufacturers repositioning some of their brands. This looks like a good move for Newmar.

Brandon, I hope this clears things up some for you. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me offline at lee@leesrv.com.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Lee,

Nice to have you post. Heard many things about you. How about spilling when the 2009 model year marketing is going to hit the street and the web. Inquiring minds want to know.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

We are indeed fortunate to have Lee stop by and offer his thoughts.

Lee is a very busy man and I sincerely thank him for stopping by.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #10

Hi Lee! Great Post! Your input is always welcome! For those of you who do not know Lee, he is the owner of Lee's RV. His company is located, www.leesrv.com He is a wealth of information, and always willing to take your call ( I have never purchased anything from him.) Please keep us informed, if you can, with all the 09 info. Paul
Old 03-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Nice to see Newmar concentrating back on their "bread and butter" market and abandoning the "keep up with the big boys" approach that the LADB presented but my question now is that with Travel Supreme apparently not making any more Select Limiteds, I wonder how long Newmar will continue to stick with the King Aire if sales are slower....

The King Aire was introduced to put Newmar in line with Travel Supreme at the higher price points.

Might be interesting to watch the sales numbers for the King Aire....
Old 03-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I wonder how long Newmar will continue to stick with the King Aire if sales are slower....
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Judging by the New Aire, London Aire, and the Northern Star, the King Aire won't be around long if the sales aren't there.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wonder how long Newmar will continue to stick with the King Aire </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bob! I hope long enough to sell me one! I was told that Newmar projected to sell 50 King Aire's for the 2008 Model year. I was told that they sold at least 49 and were very happy with that result. Paul
Old 03-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Paul, while I'm certain they had some good upstart numbers with the new model, I'm scared that the market has deteriorated a bit since that timeframe...

Even Newmar has shortened their production workday drastically....

The good news is that it's certainly more a buyers market.