Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
2008 Essex

My wife and I are in the final stages of purchasing a 2008 Essex. It is brand new in that it has never been sold, sitting on the dealers lot since 08. My concerns are there may be some issues that wont reveal themselves until I start using the coach. Beyond concern over the tires, which I will carefully inspect can anyone advise on other issues I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

This is our 4th coach, first Newmar, all our other coaches have been Beavers. I have been pretty impressed with the Essex for some time.
chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations chev and welcome to the Newmar forum.
Here are some PDI LISTS to help sort out what you will need to check on your New ESSEX.
I have purchased MH's that have set on dealer lots for a while and have not had problems with them. If the dealer is up front with you as to routine maintenance that they have done while on lot will be a help. Movement just on lot is not like highway driving at least it get the oils moving.
Others will chime in here with there DP experiences so I will leave it to them.
Good luck and have many safe and happy miles.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Open the overhead kitchen cabinet and look at the paint date, that gives you close idea how long it's been sitting. Call Newmar and get a MSRP list, the dealer probably has it. You'd want to know if they changed any furniture or appliances. I'd get a Cummins Insite reading of the engine. It will tell you how many gals of fuel's been threw it, how many hrs the engine has been idling All kinds of good stuff. Any faults.

That's just me. Good luck. I looked at a new 2008 Essex up in Michigan last year this time and it had been sitting for 14 months. Not a big deal, but if I pay new price, I want new. 2008 Essex was put out in early 07'.

Call Spartan and get any repairs or recalls that have been made

Look at the date code on the tires

PAINT DATE:: Make them put in new batteries. They probably will do that anyway. Are they going to give you a new factory warranty?
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the greeting. I have been putting the salesman thru the hoops. They do service them on a regular basis and move them around. I had an issue with my Beaver Marquis sitting too long without moving it. The weight of the driveline on the transmission yoke over a period of time dented the rear seal. I am driving home from Las Vegas going over mt Shasta and noticed oil on my tow car (white cars show that stuff right away) it was the rear seal. If I had not stopped and got it repaired I would have drained the fluid out of the trans and burnt it up, a $25,000 repair I didnt want to experience.

Yes on the warranty, it starts when we take delivery for the full 3 years. I think we are getting it a good price, without a trade they wanted $360k, with trade who knows what formula they use, but the bottom line the 360 seemed to be agood number, what do you think?
chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Are you sure about that three year warranty? We have an '08 King Aire, and it only has a two year warranty (up in two months).

joe
Old 04-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm sure Joe is correct.

In '08, highline coaches had 2 year warranty.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have to agree with Route 66 at most it will only have a 2 year warranty, 3 years was discontinued long ago.
As for price input your coach and options on this link and see if dealer has come up with a good deal.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I got a price of $380,000 this time last year. It was in Michigan and it was before the 10' was out.

At least all the VOC 's are vented out by now.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #9

Why not buy a used low mileage 08 Essex? I think the new bugs will be worked out and it would save you some money...Just a thought
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote