Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2008 Newmar Dutch Star Headlights / Cruise

I am brand new to the forum and a new owner of a 2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4355. I have two items I need to repair.

One, the high beam head light assembly reflective material is “rusted”/gone and it needs to be replaced - any ideas on how to find these without going through Newmar? Found Hella 90mm as possible replacement - they are round independents lights.

Also, is there a fuse for the cruise control? It is not working - spartan chassis and controls on steering wheel.
Kruegerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruegerw View Post
I am brand new to the forum and a new owner of a 2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4355. I have two items I need to repair.

One, the high beam head light assembly reflective material is “rusted”/gone and it needs to be replaced - any ideas on how to find these without going through Newmar? Found Hella 90mm as possible replacement - they are round independents lights.

Also, is there a fuse for the cruise control? It is not working - spartan chassis and controls on steering wheel.

Look at the bottom of the headlight lense there is a number (something like - TYC 20-5950) use this number search internet for origin of light. Headlightsdepot.com is a good place to look once you find out what vehicle they were made for. If you look under your motorhome make and model the price will be costlier than if you use the auto make and model.
You might have a fuse blown for steering. Most of those fuses are found in the compartment outside under driver seat.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2, and the Newmar family .

I don't know if this applies to your chassis ; BUT ; some coaches the cruise control cannot be activated if the engine/exhaust brake switch is turned on .
Old 11-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #4

Look on Amazon, Hella 008191057 90mm 12 volt high beam. $76.00.
Jazzz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
2008 Newmar Winter Storage

Quick question

Is it Ok or recommended to winter store my Newmar Dutch Star 4355 with the jacks down? It will likely sit for 3-4 months.

Thanks
Kruegerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #6

My coach has jacks down 350+ days a year , 4>6 months at a time .

I do clean the shaft on the jacks any time they have been down for over a week before retracting.

If your leveling system is HWH , here's the info on cleaning.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH jack maintenance.pdf (16.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #7

I have an 08 MA and my cruise did not predictably work . It wouldn't come on when pushed but then would come on later as I was driving. It also turned off by itself. The fix was a total replacement of the "smart" controls on the steering wheel for about $1500 at the shop. Do the wiper and headlight buttons work? If not you now 100% know what the issue is.

Good luck.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Same issue with several of the buttons (cruise, wipers, lights, etc..) operating intermittently on the smart wheel. Had coach over to Spartan RV Service center in Michigan and had both sides replaced. BTW: excellent service.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimonson View Post
I have an 08 MA and my cruise did not predictably work . It wouldn't come on when pushed but then would come on later as I was driving. It also turned off by itself. The fix was a total replacement of the "smart" controls on the steering wheel for about $1500 at the shop. Do the wiper and headlight buttons work? If not you now 100% know what the issue is.

Good luck.
Could also be clockspring in steering column. I've replaced a few on cars that had steering wheel switches failing. If more than one switch I would lean towards clockspring being bad.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
Could also be clockspring in steering column. I've replaced a few on cars that had steering wheel switches failing. If more than one switch I would lean towards clockspring being bad.
It was good to point out the clock spring but in my case the shop first replaced my clock spring and it did not fix the issue so they reversed that fix and changed out the buttons. All is well now.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, headlight, headlights, light, lights, newmar