RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #1

2009 Canyon Star Bedroom Slide

I just repaired a very major discrepancy with our bedroom slide mechanism. The shaft that extends the bed side slide twisted in half. Newmar was gracious enough to send me a new shaft at no expense in which I replaced with the help of my Son-in-law. Small area to work in to say the least. If you lift the bed and examine the shaft attached to the slide motor you will see that a square tube about 3 inches long is welded to the shaft to allow for bring in the slide should the motor fail. It is my belief that after examining the shaft that the welding was the culprit that caused the shaft to twist in half due to annealing process caused by the welding. This shaft is 3/4 in diameter and upon inspection the key was not sheared.

ddw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Same thing happened on my 2008 BR slide. I sent them pictures and they did not offer to send it an no expense, I did not press it as the part cost was only about $110 and my coach was over 2 years old. I also believe the welding weakened the shaft.

I have not torqued the Trantorque bushing to spec, left it so it would turn before bending the shaft again. I also made sure the pot on the slide controller was set to the minimum (which it was), the controller still does not shut power off the the motor when it stalls! I've thought of getting a new controller that has a lower current adjustment range, have not done that yet.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Same thing happened on my 2008 BR slide. I sent them pictures and they did not offer to send it an no expense, I did not press it as the part cost was only about $110 and my coach was over 2 years old. I also believe the welding weakened the shaft.

I have not torqued the Trantorque bushing to spec, left it so it would turn before bending the shaft again. I also made sure the pot on the slide controller was set to the minimum (which it was), the controller still does not shut power off the the motor when it stalls! I've thought of getting a new controller that has a lower current adjustment range, have not done that yet.
Stewart,
I do not know who you talked to but I called Newmar and spoke to Jeff in tech assist and he authorized the parts department to send me a newly mfg shaft with key. Do not know why key did not shear first nor do they. I brought up the welding process used to weld the square tube assy to allow bringing in the slide if the motor fails. If I were you, I would call them and tell them you spoke to me and wondered how they could send one to me free of charge. Besides they may have more data now and would be willing to reimburse your cost.

Also, they spoke of a box with a plus and minus turn screw to adjust pressure on slide (is this the control box you are speaking of if so where is yours located?) but i still have not found the small box they are speaking of. Since replacing the shaft now the motor makes a moaning sound when closing all the way unlike the sound the other slides make. They told me the box could be in a closet somewhere. Do you know what they are talking about?

Dennis White
ddw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dennis here is one of the control units and here is the other control unit.
Control units maybe found under kitchen cabinets or buffet & bath cabinets,

This link is for the different Newmar Slide Spec's

There is more info in Quick Tip's link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddw1949 View Post
Also, they spoke of a box with a plus and minus turn screw to adjust pressure on slide (is this the control box you are speaking of if so where is yours located?) but i still have not found the small box they are speaking of. Since replacing the shaft now the motor makes a moaning sound when closing all the way unlike the sound the other slides make. They told me the box could be in a closet somewhere. Do you know what they are talking about?

Dennis White
Dennis, thanks for the tip, I'll call Newmar and see what they'll do.

Our control boxes are located in the Fresh Water basement compartment, they are velcro'd to the wall on the passenger side. They look similar to the first picture in 007's post. Intellitec does not have much info on them on their website (at least last time I looked) but here is a page from Fleming Sales with some info.

The screw they speak of is the potentiometer labeled "Current Adjust" Basically if the slide stops too soon you're supposed to turn the pot clockwise about 1/8 turn, that increases the current limit, sending more power to the motor. In my case I cannot get the motor to cut off, even at the end of travel. This causes the shaft to twist. I have the pot all the way CCW, which should cut off the motor when it sees only a little resistance.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you read this thread it will explain how your control unit will work and states if pot adjustment does not work correctly you may need a new control unit.
If thats the case there are other links in Quick Tip's that have control units that may not cost as much as Newmars, same unit as theirs.
I wonder if you have the right control unit for this particular slide, the toque of these motors will move slide with someone sitting on your sofa.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote