Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 11:07 PM   #1

2009 Newmar Essex 4516??

Newmar owners,
was looking at a used coach at a reasonable price & trade in for current coach. Overall nice coach, obviously needed some repairs for age. Ended up walking away from some feedback on the electrical monitoring system (Multiplex system). There are a lot of years & models out there with this system in it so how much trouble is there really with this system?
As I understand, there are parts but it takes a lot of effort and cost to make useful for a coach.

Wise decision or is it worth another look?

thank you,
MHRookie
MHROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 06:34 AM   #2

Been there done that and not again. Eplex in older Newmar sucks when it starts to have problems. Not always cheap to fix since parts and support are pretty much gone. I made the needed changes but it created a lot of stress I did not want. Never again. My opinion you did good. Others will say no big deal. My guess is they haven’t dealt with issues yet. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 05-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
Been there done that and not again. Eplex in older Newmar sucks when it starts to have problems. Not always cheap to fix since parts and support are pretty much gone. I made the needed changes but it created a lot of stress I did not want. Never again. My opinion you did good. Others will say no big deal. My guess is they havenít dealt with issues yet. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Iím thinking all coach systems integration has about reached itís limit. As much as I would like a 605 hp Essex with silverleaf, I believe that eventually all systems support comes to an end. Itís one thing when your thousand dollar laptop with windows seven is no longer supported, but itís a whole Other deal when your million dollar coach platform is no longer supported. Personally, as jealous as I am, having a separate set of control panels for my DutchStar systems works just fine. And if my Girard awning controller stops working, I still know what my tank levels are and can adjust the temperature.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its all explained in the ESSEX's Owners thread 3/4 the way down in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHROOKIE View Post
Newmar owners,

was looking at a used coach at a reasonable price & trade in for current coach. Overall nice coach, obviously needed some repairs for age. Ended up walking away from some feedback on the electrical monitoring system (Multiplex system). There are a lot of years & models out there with this system in it so how much trouble is there really with this system?

As I understand, there are parts but it takes a lot of effort and cost to make useful for a coach.

Wise decision or is it worth another look?

thank you,

MHRookie

You will want to check to see if the cylinder head has been replaced on the ISX engine per the Cummins TSB to address the catastrophic #6 intake drop problem.
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #6

>> Wise decision or is it worth another look?

Its a value proposition. A 12 year old coach will have a number of systems that are aging out. The Slide Motors, tank sensors, refrigerator, inverter and the ACs come to mind. Eplex is a bit more complicated as the recommendation (mine) is to replace the eplex functionality with native functionality. The work is pretty straight forward, but getting someone to do the work can be difficult. Need a handyman, not a diesel mechanic.

The rest of the coach is fantastic. Aside from some front end parts, the chassis is rock solid. Besides the eplex issues, the only other negative for a 2009 Essex is the differential... if you live/travel in the Rocky Mountain West.

For details about replacing eplex, review my posting history. I have been off eplex for at least 2 years.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #7

A 09 Essex would have the the 500 ISM engine which hasn't had the problems of the ISX. We had the last of the non Eplex systems in our 04 Essex. It appears the fix to the problem is to go to individual control for all functions that were control by Eplex.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
A 09 Essex would have the the 500 ISM engine which hasn't had the problems of the ISX. We had the last of the non Eplex systems in our 04 Essex. It appears the fix to the problem is to go to individual control for all functions that were control by Eplex.
Newmar Man

I would think that the ISM was all done by 2009. This coach would have most likely had the 650hp ISX. If so and the head has not been replaced, itís a ticking time bombÖ.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2011 Essex and it has the ISM 500.
Firedog3722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog3722 View Post
I have a 2011 Essex and it has the ISM 500.

You have to be feeling pretty good about having a ISM in your coach. I have heard that it was one of the best engines ever to have in motor home. I have been following the Cummins threads for many years. Judging by the problems that have been posted I would have to say that I would have to agree with them. I had no idea that they were installed that late. Your ISM engine would would have a EGR valve and the complete after treatment system (DOC, DPF and SCR) by that time time to be emissions compliant.

Does anyone know the how long the industry installed the ISM in DP coaches? I would be very interested to know.

Tags
essex, newmar