Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

2010 DSDP 400 ISL engine problems

9 months ago I got a check engine light. Code showed crank case breather filter. So we changed it. No problems until now 5000 miles and 9 months later, get another check engine and engine shut down warning. Again showed same filter. Changed filter again have driven another 2000 miles, no problems. Finally at a Cummins dealer doing maintenance and have them check out problem. Test shows 11" of water and thats wasn't on full load. Said it should be 5" to 6"
Want to tear engine down. 65k miles on engine
I do have an extended warranty. Any thoughts.
BobKatMsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think you have much choice. Either live with issue and hope it doesn't get worse, or tear down the engine. Tear down, may not be the best term, as I'm sure once you tear it down, there will be a need for a rebuild. I think the biggest issue....will your Warranty Company agree to a rebuild.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

Crankcase pressure goes up when compression from the cylinders is leaking past the piston rings.

That's usually a sign of a failed air filter or intake piping sometime in the past.

A hand full of dust will ruin a diesel engine.

Any history of intake system problems ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #4

If its covered under the extended warranty, go for it.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Crankcase pressure goes up when compression from the cylinders is leaking past the piston rings.

That's usually a sign of a failed air filter or intake piping sometime in the past.

A hand full of dust will ruin a diesel engine.

Any history of intake system problems ?
No problems that I am aware of. I'm second owner. The curious thing to me is it is not using any oil at all and this past summer we crossed the Rocky Mountains twice, traveled the length of Colorado and Montana with no lack of power, no check engine lights, also no smoke at all.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I don't think you have much choice. Either live with issue and hope it doesn't get worse, or tear down the engine. Tear down, may not be the best term, as I'm sure once you tear it down, there will be a need for a rebuild. I think the biggest issue....will your Warranty Company agree to a rebuild.
My concern is the warranty will approve the tear down, but then won't approve the rebuild, for what ever reason. If I thought I could get away with changing the breather filter every 6 months and it wouldn't get any worse I would probably opt for that. I put 7000 miles on it this summer, crossing the Rockies twice and other then the filter problem it ran great. Not going through any oil, no loss of power, no back fire, no smoke.

Tags
ems, engine, problem, problems