Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 11:44 PM   #1

2010 DSDP - Factory Engine Coolant?

Hey guys,

During my ongoing attempt to catch up on maintenance, and determine what the previous owner did/didn't do, I've run into the question of the engine coolant.

The facts I have

- Coolant looks bright orange from a peak into the reservoir.
- The Spartan service manual makes note of "Extended Life Coolant (Red)" that needs extender @ 36 months and should be replaced @ 72 months
- Faded sticker on reservoir w/ Fleetguard and Zerex logos (photo attached)

The only guess I could make between the orange color, and Zerex logo on the sticker is Zerex Dex-cool (OAT). https://valvoline.com/products/brand.../antifreeze/41

Questions
- Does anyone know what the factory coolant used by Newmar/Spartan was in 2010 for ISL engines?
- Is there anyway to test the coolant to verify the extender was added? If not, will it hurt to add another dose of extender, even if it was already added?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150519_153413.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	94834  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #2

IIWM I would drain it all out and start again since it is 5/6 years old now. I used Zerex Extended Life (no adding SCA) in my previous coach, which looks as if that is what you had. Freightliner uses Fleet Charge (needs testing and adding SCA) in current Newmar DP's.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Don't know specifically about 2010 spartan chassis but 2007 and 2008 had "final charge" extended life coolant. It is pinkish orange and one is never supposed to add any supplemental sdditives. Pretty sure yous is the same. It is available at most Walmart and truck stops. It is already mixed at 50/50 so add or install as is.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

I am very close to buying a 2010 Dutch Star and I called Spartan and talked to a Casey Thomas. I gave her the last eight numbers of the vin and she sent me all the maintenance info, filters, fluids and belts.

Here is the contact info

P: 800-543-4277, option 1 RV
E: cjthomas@spartanchassis.com
W: www.spartanchassis.com

Good luck
billandkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin4it View Post
Don't know specifically about 2010 spartan chassis but 2007 and 2008 had "final charge" extended life coolant. It is pinkish orange and one is never supposed to add any supplemental sdditives. Pretty sure yous is the same. It is available at most Walmart and truck stops. It is already mixed at 50/50 so add or install as is.
Called Spartan and confirmed that they used Final Charge in 2010 as well. The weekend tech I spoke with wasn't sure if adding another dose of extender was OK so I will contact someone @ Peak for that question.

Appreciate the help.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Quick additional follow up, it looks like Final Charge extended their change interval to 8 years, and no longer require an extender added mid-life.

This gives me some peace of mind, but I think I'll send a sample out for testing just to be safe...
Old 05-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Quick additional follow up, it looks like Final Charge extended their change interval to 8 years, and no longer require an extender added mid-life.

This gives me some peace of mind, but I think I'll send a sample out for testing just to be safe...
The 8 years & no extender might be for the newer formula final charge, not the older. You need to check that out.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine