Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #1

2011 DS full wall slide issue & roller replacement

Have been chasing an issue with my full wall slide where it comes in "OK" some times, but not all the time.

It all started when the motor broke loose and tore up the bracket and wiring harness 2 years ago. It's been back to the dealer twice now, each fall I bring it back to Florida. When I pick it up..it works magically 5x in the lot. Soon as I drive away, I have an issue and I need to have 1 or 2 people push from outside as I hit the button inside...once it comes up the "ramp" it's fine.

Dealer has said..gotta be plugged in or with generator running (which I've NEVER had to do on my coaches or this one before the initial issue) but either way, it still doesn't fix my issue. All new Deka house batteries this season too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.png
Views:	25
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	374319  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the idea behind plugged in or generator running is to assure adequate 12V power. My dealer told me the same thing at pick-up. The instructions say plugged in, generator running OR batteries fully charged.

Does your FW slide move at all on it's own when coming up the ramp?

We also have a retraction issue with our FW slide. We've only had our Newmar since June 5. The FW slide worked fine at the dealer. I had hired an inspector, he checked it out and it worked fine several times after that, But the last few times it kind of chugs it's way slowly up the ramp. Once up the ramp it runs fine and goes out properly. I've tried it plugged in, on generator, even with the engine running but none helped. I was wondering if it's a lubrication issue. I don't see anything in the Owners Guide about lubrication. I've looked at the mechanism and all seems ok. I'm afraid something will break.

I also wonder if it's a motor synchronization controller issue but I think that would happen all the time, not just when coming up the ramp. Mine has 3 motors, 2 on the same drive shaft and one on it's own (that's the one at the back). How is yours configured?
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by permitwriter View Post
I think the idea behind plugged in or generator running is to assure adequate 12V power. My dealer told me the same thing at pick-up. The instructions say plugged in, generator running OR batteries fully charged.

Does your FW slide move at all on it's own when coming up the ramp?

We also have a retraction issue with our FW slide. We've only had our Newmar since June 5. The FW slide worked fine at the dealer. I had hired an inspector, he checked it out and it worked fine several times after that, But the last few times it kind of chugs it's way slowly up the ramp. Once up the ramp it runs fine and goes out properly. I've tried it plugged in, on generator, even with the engine running but none helped. I was wondering if it's a lubrication issue. I don't see anything in the Owners Guide about lubrication. I've looked at the mechanism and all seems ok. I'm afraid something will break.

I also wonder if it's a motor synchronization controller issue but I think that would happen all the time, not just when coming up the ramp. Mine has 3 motors, 2 on the same drive shaft and one on it's own (that's the one at the back). How is yours configured?

Agreed on the being plugged in or generator running but that’s not the issue and never had a problem ever with good / fully charged batteries

The FWS begins to move, maybe 3 inches, then gets to the “up” part of the ramp and stops. Same as you, once it clears the ramp it is totally fine. In or out.

I did get down on the floor to inspect the rollers as it was moving. At least one roller in each “set” of 5 pair was not moving or moving very slowly and dragging.

Given that they are 250 a piece which is absurd, I’m going to lift the slide to better inspect and see if they do move freely or slightly hung up. Maybe wd40 on the shaft will solve it. If not I will replace with a non newmar part.

Mine is a 2011 DS. Believe I only have 2 motors. Not 100% sure always thought it was 2.
Turbo38sfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:41 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yesterday was a travel day and the new CG has no wifi and spotty cell service so internet access is infrequent.

Anyway, once I brought the slide in enough to where it has lifted up some, I discovered I could get a good view of the rollers from the outside by pulling down the rubber strip under the slide floor. So I sprayed them good with silicone spray. But it didn't help.

DW is disabled and can't help so sometime after we get home next week, I'm going to wire in a temporary switch on a long wire so I can operate the slide while watching the motors, rollers, etc. I'll post again if I find out anything that might be useful.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by permitwriter View Post
Yesterday was a travel day and the new CG has no wifi and spotty cell service so internet access is infrequent.

Anyway, once I brought the slide in enough to where it has lifted up some, I discovered I could get a good view of the rollers from the outside by pulling down the rubber strip under the slide floor. So I sprayed them good with silicone spray. But it didn't help.

DW is disabled and can't help so sometime after we get home next week, I'm going to wire in a temporary switch on a long wire so I can operate the slide while watching the motors, rollers, etc. I'll post again if I find out anything that might be useful.
So, I had a chance to do and check a few things.

I have 1 motor, not 2.

I put a 2x12 on the roof of the slide on each side and pulled the slide in so it pushed against the slide and lifted the floor up on the inside. This is the recommended way to replace the rollers from Newmar for elec slides. I verified the rollers have no problem moving so that's not my problem.

I then went outside and looked at the slide mechanism and the cog that moves the slide in and out. It was pretty rusty, both of them. I sprayed them both with WD40, since doing that, the slide has moved in and out 5 times now with no problems! Simple solution if that's all it was all this time.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, slide