RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Question 2011 Newmar Baystar engine battery dead after 3 nights of camping

Hi. I was on a 3 night camping trip and when we got ready to leave the battery was dead (just enough power to light the dash indicators). Once jumped it was fine and has started for the last two weeks now. The only item we had on was the phone charger. Any ideas or what should I check?

Thanks for your help.
Exracer

exracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Our Bay Star chassis battery will also drain down in 3 days, and the culprit in our case (finally diagnosed by our dealer) is the dash radio, which pulls just enough of a phantom load to run the engine battery down.

We solved our problem by pulling the fuse to the radio. And installed a battery disconnect switch. AND we do not travel without a trickle charger, just in case...

There are other causes, to be sure, but when we posted our problem, it was amazing the number of people who said their dash radio was the culprit.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Where you dry camping or plugged into at lease 110 outlet?
If you check QT's # 3 you will find a BAY STAR section that covers what to do to help eliminate the problem.
If you have a small 5 watt solar panel on roof that should also be charging your chassis battery and starting your Gen will charge also plus the battery cut off should always be on when your are uasing coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post
Hi. I was on a 3 night camping trip and when we got ready to leave the battery was dead (just enough power to light the dash indicators). Once jumped it was fine and has started for the last two weeks now. The only item we had on was the phone charger. Any ideas or what should I check?

Thanks for your help.
Exracer
This may be apples to oranges but the owners manual for my Ford Escape states that leaving devices plugged in to the USB outlets will deplete the battery.
Bobbystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #5

Batteries

How old are the batteries?
jedgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #6

FWIW, I left my BSS sit in storage for 30 days with the house batteries shut off. Yesterday I turned the house batteries back on and my house was 12.4 volts, chassis 12.5. My radio is not switched either.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #7

We had a similar problem and the issue turned out to be the converter
Bay Star 3124 2016
FapInJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Bay Star Battery

I had this problem when new. Found out they had left the light on in the engine compartment when going through the coach with me.
Andyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Our batteries drain down as well. We have a pretty solid 0.3A drain, which will drain the 160AH bank below the recommended 50% minimum in 11 short days. This is with the battery disconnect switched to off.

I will try the dash radio fuse based on this thread.

Storage is now suddenly a problem for us. We used to store at a place with electricity, but it closed. Current solution is I programmed the generator to run an hour a day, but even that isn't enough :|
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:08 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post
Our batteries drain down as well. We have a pretty solid 0.3A drain, which will drain the 160AH bank below the recommended 50% minimum in 11 short days. This is with the battery disconnect switched to off.

I will try the dash radio fuse based on this thread.

Storage is now suddenly a problem for us. We used to store at a place with electricity, but it closed. Current solution is I programmed the generator to run an hour a day, but even that isn't enough :|
How do you program your gen set to turn on and off? We own a 2016 Canyon Star 3710.
RVnewbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnewbie1 View Post
How do you program your gen set to turn on and off? We own a 2016 Canyon Star 3710.
I created my own auto gen-start (AGS) out of a Raspberry Pi and a few simple parts. Here's a picture taken when I was testing it.

The Onan generators come with a remote control port, which is wired up to a switch on the dash. Onan sells a 'Y' cable, so you can install another AGS. I put in that Y cable, and then ultimately ran 20 feet of cable to my media cabinet, where my homemade AGS (pictured here) lives permanently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170407_150702.-1600x.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	164190  

Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, camping, engine, newmar