Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

2012-2014 Ventana: Known Things to Look For

We are considering updating our coach to a newer model. We now have a gas coach and were going to simply update to a newer gas coach but now I am considering a used Ventana in the 2012-2014 range. Are there any known things I should look out for in this year range? How dependable is the engine? How about the chassis.

I am new to the DP world and have read of costly issues with some of the older Cummins engines so am looking for any information anyone is willing to provide. I am aware of the inspections, fluid analysis, etc. I have spoke to some owners where we are currently located and they are all thrilled with their coaches.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Assuming that you get a good mechanical inspection done prior to purchase, one of the last things I would worry about is the Cummins ISB engine unless it has 200K plus miles on it. Certainly ask for service records to ensure the engine and chassis have been properly maintained.

My bigger concerns would be tire date codes. Check them! Tires should be replaced...or at least professionally inspected...at six years.

Then, battery dates and whether they have been properly maintained. Try to determine how old the batteries are how they've been charged. Batteries that have been allowed to fully discharge due to lack of charging are likely toast.

Tires and batteries are relatively expensive items to replace. When buying a coach in that age range, you should probably factor in the cost of a new set of tires, new batteries and, at lease, a fluid change for the engine and transmission. You may not have to do all that immediately, but being prepared for the potential cost of doing so will take the sting out of things in a worst-case scenario.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #3

Jim covered the the big items and I’ll chime in with a potential fire hazard. The Frigidaire microwaves were a know problem and Newmar had a recall issued. Make sure that the unit doesn’t have one.

I would also take a close look at the sofa/seat fabric for peeling/flaking. Many of the builds used a product called Halo and it isn’t holding up. This could be pricey.

Other than that, I really haven’t had any issues with my 2013 Ventana.

From your avatar, I couldn’t resist. Here’s mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	232017
Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #4

We upgraded from a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser on W24 chassis and absolutely love our Ventana. Wishing you the best in your search.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Nice rides!

TJ
Old 01-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #6

2014 Ventana / 46,000 miles.
No mechanical issues at all. Did have a problem with wiring loom loosing communication with computer a couple of time when new. That issue seems to have self corrected thank goodness. Had issues with full wall slide jamming a couple of times. Newmar fixed under warranty - all OK now.
As another post mentioned, Frigidare microwave(s) crapped out. Had a little issue of stating themselves in the middle of the night, and severely overheating. After 2nd one, Newmar gave us a deal on GE Advantium which has been great.
My one big issue is the poor quality of the upholstery work. Stitches pulling, raw edges of sub-structure wearing thru vinyl, etc. Guess " Amish craftsmanship" doesn't extend to upholstery work !
Overall, great Coach, comfortable to drive and live in. Will buy another
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Like the '40 Chev p/u too, britcon. Wish I still had my '41 Ford coupe with Buick V8 in it. Pretty quick for its day!

TJ
Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #8

Read the thread re Newmar electric slide motor mount bolts coming lose. Not a show stopper but worth a check.
I had one mount that was tearing the weld. I had a local shop reeled and add a stiffener... I did the Locktite fix on all bolts myself.
When I bought our 2013 I looked up TSBs and recalls and found a few but nothing major. We really love our Ventana and can recommend them.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. I did tires and batteries on my current Newmar Kountry Star last spring so it isn’t something I want to pay for again. Although if the original tires remain on the prospective new coach, I also wouldn’t want to drive home on them.

I find the furniture comments interesting. We looked at a 3434 a few days ago and the couch and recliner had been replaced with two new recliners. I though is was personal preference and to open clearance with the slides closed on the part of the prior owner but now I wonder if they had issues with the original furniture.

Thanks for the tips on the microwave, something I would have not known and very helpful.

Also glad to know the engine is a good one.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post

From your avatar, I couldn’t resist. Here’s mine.

Attachment 232017

What year is your car? It’s beautiful.

Had the opportunity to buy a 58 several years ago but wife vetoed the idea. It was a good buy at the time, sure wish I had done it anyway.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
What year is your car? It’s beautiful.

Had the opportunity to buy a 58 several years ago but wife vetoed the idea. It was a good buy at the time, sure wish I had done it anyway.

It’s a numbers matching DG code 1961 automatic fully restored about 95% correct including the Al Knoch installed interior. Never been judged but certainly could be. I also have the hard top which comes in handy in winter.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Engine and chassis are great

Quote:
Are there any known things I should look out for in this year range? How dependable is the engine? How about the chassis.

We bought our 2014 3634 last summer, and we love it! It's just right for our purposes and all things considered, we would make the same purchase again. We hired an inspector and got a great review of our coach. Even so, in six months we have replaced all the batteries, the tires, shocks, dash radio, washing machine, one slide motor and dash air conditioner. No major problems, but still a chunk of change. These are not Newmar, Ventana, or even diesel issues...it's just the cost of owning a motorhome.

Tags
vent, ventana