Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 06:24 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2012 King Aire 69,000 miles

Can anyone comment on a good condition KA listed for $297,000 had two owners.
It's not pristine but in real good condition.

Will need tire soon and full service been garage kept and paint is good a few minor checks.

Would have to fly to see it first. I am also looking at 2008-09 Country Coach Affinity and Magna. Would be paying about $75,000 more fo a King Aire like the one here.
Thank you.
kid gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 09:26 AM   #2

No idea on what values are currently or specifics about the rig mentioned.

Having said that my 2012 King Aire cost me $300,000 June 2022 with 59,xxx on the clock. Paint is pristine with ceramic coating. I'm 3rd owner as well. Inside is spotless.

So either I got a bargain, the one your looking at is priced high or somewhere in middle.

Candidly would think better bargains would be showing up with recession fears brewing.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:56 AM   #3

For what it's worth.... Check this link
https://www.jdpower.com/rvs/2012/used/king-aire
Old 03-28-2023, 05:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
thank you! Did you purchase your KA from dealer or private owner?
Old 03-28-2023, 11:28 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
You're looking at an additional $8k for tires. How old are the batteries? Is it all electric? I'd say that the price isn't that bad for that unit but I would try to get it down a little. On a side note, the other units you mentioned were "pre-def" if that is important to you. I am probably one of the few people who prefers the ones that have the DEF requirements.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid gilmore View Post
thank you! Did you purchase your KA from dealer or private owner?
My King Aire was listed by https://motorhomefinders.com/ at https://www.bus-stuff.com/

Rvt.com also has lots of listings which is much like craigslist
Old 03-29-2023, 06:18 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I did learn this morning that 4 tires new last year they are Firestones not sure how they compare to mich and toyo.
all new batteries they are wet cells
Like you on the Def and either way is not a deal breaker,

Found a couple more at Premium in Gilbert Az. both KA and missed a darn nice CC
Old 03-29-2023, 06:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
thanks Rev and Ken!
Old 03-31-2023, 08:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tires and Batteries

The cost of these items, and their availability, have increased by a breathtaking amount (at least to me). If this coach needs the Michelin XZA 365/70R22.5 tires in front, be prepared for a long and frustrating search for them. It has taken me over a month of hunting to find the 2 that I need. (Note of caution, make sure you check date codes on these, some places wanted to sell some that were 4 years old already). The 315/80R22.5 rears are somewhat more available, but you may have to hunt around a bit for them. Figure $1200+ for each front tire and $1000+ for each rear tire, plus mounting, balancing, etc. So close to $10K here in Central Florida. Don't forget to consider sales tax too.

Batteries also have increased dramatically in price. If you are looking to replace 8 AGM's, expect well north of $300 each plus installation if you have a shop do it. So figure probably $3K for new batteries all in, including sales tax.

As you can see, these are major expenditures but it may be worth it to find the coach you want. I would say to any prospective buyer (and any owner with tires close to aging out) to look long and hard about not only the cost, but the availability of the things that need replacing before you pull the trigger.

Just my 2 cents after a long and arduous process.
ficodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you, information is well mentioned for sure in these levels of Motorhomes the nickels and dimes are thousands and thousands but still not bad as a 300,000 boat!
Old 04-01-2023, 07:56 AM   #11

Good point on tire availability. I replaced all my tires with new Michelin X Multi Z tires in January. My local tire shop had a tough time getting them and it took close to 3 months for them to arrive. The good news is that they were newly manufactured and so they are very “fresh” tires.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:49 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Glad you were able to get them. My local dealer was shocked the other day when he looked and found that Michelin had 12 of them available, and I grabbed six of them. I've heard of several people switching to Toyo M144's.

The real issue is the 365/70R22.5 tires for the coaches that have 20K front axles (think tag axle Dutch Star and up). I don't think people realize that only Michelin makes this tire in the size required, and a number of dealers have told me that all the meager production they have goes to Freightliner, Spartan, Prevost, Newell, Foretravel for new coaches. Virtually none are available for retail sales, so people who have these tires on their front axle are in for a long and very frustrating search to find them.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:35 PM   #13

I see the 365s on ebay from SimpleTire price is only about $100 higher than FMCA
Old 04-04-2023, 06:15 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, but if you try to buy them, they don’t actually have them in stock, but they say the work with “800 suppliers” to find them. As a result, they can’t tell you how old the tires are before they are shipped to you, only that they don’t sell tires that are more than 4 years old, as DOT law allows. I wasn’t willing to take that chance.

I bought mine from Pete’s Tires online. They had them in stock, and their service was top notch.

Tags
air