Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #1

2013 DS Engine Issue

We have a 2013 DS that has developed an engine issue that I am having difficulty describing. It will on occasion stutter, meaning as you’re going down the road it will lose power momentarily (split second) the check engine light will come on but continue down the road.

We took a short weekend trip, and it did it twice on the way up and I think 3 times on the way home.

It feels a bit like there may be air in the fuel, but I have no idea how or where it might be introduced.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 06:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have any way to retrieve any fault codes. This would be the best way to identify the problem, otherwise it just guessing.

I use a Silverleaf VMSpc but there are other options out there. Bluefire, from what I understand does a decent job and if I had to get one I'd consider it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:55 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just had a similar issue with my 2013 Winnebago Journey. Thought it was fuel filters and changed them. Did not help. Grand son works for a International dealer and he put a computer on it and found a coed saying it was the accelerator pedal > while looking at that found a wire from the pedal was being pinched when pedal was pushed to floor. Fixed that and everything was ok. You could have the same problem. Mine was showing stop engine and check transmission.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Do you have any way to retrieve any fault codes. This would be the best way to identify the problem, otherwise it just guessing.

I use a Silverleaf VMSpc but there are other options out there. Bluefire, from what I understand does a decent job and if I had to get one I'd consider it.
Sorry but I don't, I may take it by NIRVC and have them check it.

and I will check out the pedal.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My 2014 DS did something similar from the day it was new. I would be driving down the road, and suddenly it would shut down, lights on the dash would come on and before I could say ah sh*t and start scrambling to pull over, it would come right back to life. It did this on occasion the first year.

At the same time I was having this issue, another poster was having the same problem. We both had made complaints, but codes were never found. He ended up suing Cummins, as he found a few others experiencing the same thing. There was never a definitive outcome that I know of.

Two things I did, as I felt the problem was electrical, and the problem eventually went away. First, I crawled under the rear of the coach, near the engine battery bay and there is a large wiring connector, looks like a black box about the size of a deck of cards in length and width (main wiring harness). It has a bolt that holds the connection together. I tightened that bolt as it was loose.

Second, in your front run bay, under the driver's window, is are two or three black boxes. They hold relays for the transmissions and engine. The lids open and you can access all the relays. It was reported that these relays were coming loose and may be the issue. You can simply push on them and see if they seat back into place. After making sure they were all seated, I cut a piece of medium density foam that will fit in the box and replace the covers. This will keep them from "walking" back out again as it keeps pressure on them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
My fist guess would be the fuel filter. I would change it before taking it to NIRVC if for no other reason then to eliminate it. It may be an injector going bad which should give you a code. Using on a code reader should determine the problem.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:04 AM   #7

The fuel filter was my first guess as well but I don't think so because it is intermittent.

I have looked at everything near the pedal and all appears tight. I also checked the front electrical compartment and did find one relay out a tiny bit but I don't think it was out enough to be an issue.

I can't get underneath it in the back right now, I have a couple of things that need to be attended to inside, then I'll close the slides and move it to access the back of the DS.

I went ahead and set an appointment with NIRVC in a couple of week when the Freightliner folks are there. I get the impression from the service advisor that this wasn't the first time they have seen this.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:53 AM   #8

I don't envy you since there could be so many reasons for that condition. My previous coach (2008 KS on a Spartan) did what yours is doing and it was the ignition switch. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:14 AM   #9

I took the DS to NIRVC in DFW and the shop foreman hooked it up and said everything pointed to a faulty fuel pressure relief valve.

Does anyone have experience in this arena?

Tags
engine