Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #1

2013 Mountain Aire on 30 amp

Hi everyone, hoping to pick your brains if you don't mind. If the coach has a 50 amp inverter can it be plugged into a 30 amp pole? Would you be able to draw upto 30 amps? I am hoping to not use the gen if possible, but if the 30 amp is an issue I won't use the power source.

Thanks,
Ryan
Flynryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can plug into as little as 10 amp. You will simply be restricted to that amount of current. For instance, 30 amp would allow you to run one AC, but not two.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You should be fine. You will be limited on the number of appliances you can operate at the same time.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynryan15 View Post
Hi everyone, hoping to pick your brains if you don't mind. If the coach has a 50 amp inverter can it be plugged into a 30 amp pole? Would you be able to draw upto 30 amps? I am hoping to not use the gen if possible, but if the 30 amp is an issue I won't use the power source.
Thanks,
Ryan
Flynryan15
Yes it can....(with proper 120V energy management).

See:
How to manage your RV Power Load on a 30 Amp Service box - All it took was a visit by our Grandkids.
And:
Managing RV Electrical Power
And:
RV Electrical Systems

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I forgot to say that you HAVE to adjust your shore power setting (default of 50A) to what your shore power outlet is rated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:

Thanks,
Ryan
To try to answer the part about the inverter. Your inverter will be rated in watts, probably a 2000 or 2800 watt. The inverter does not really relate to whether you are on 30 or 50 amps. When plugged in it will be a battery charger ( some inverters can make up for low power by using battery power) but I have never seen one. You will be limited a lot on 30 amps, less than 1/3 the power available on 50 amps. Do a lot of reading on the subject ( Mels links) and it will become clearer but still may be difficult to understand.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Thank you everyone for the advice I will definitely study the links.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #8

Ok so what I am gathering is limit the load, during the day plan on using 1 AC unit to cool if necessary, the fridge and maybe 1 source of entertainment. Or have my buddy have an 50 amp source installed.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Our MH is 30 amp and only has one a/c and we run anything we want in ours with no problem. The key is to use only one a/c and maybe skip the hair dryer while it's running.
Ryan, you may want to add your MH description to your signature. Helps others when trying to answer your questions.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Ok so what I am gathering is limit the load, during the day plan on using 1 AC unit to cool if necessary, the fridge and maybe 1 source of entertainment. Or have my buddy have an 50 amp source installed.

Unless you are full-time camping at one spot, you have no real need to upgrade your electric power pedestal to 50amp. 30amp will do just fine Follow the previous mentioned links & limit your power draws.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Our MH is 30 amp and only has one a/c and we run anything we want in ours with no problem. The key is to use only one a/c and maybe skip the hair dryer while it's running.
Ryan, you may want to add your MH description to your signature. Helps others when trying to answer your questions.
We are renting a 2013 MA for the Indy 500 and I will be ordering a LA later this year.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Unless you are full-time camping at one spot, you have no real need to upgrade your electric power pedestal to 50amp. 30amp will do just fine Follow the previous mentioned links & limit your power draws.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
I would be using this spot for the Indy 500 every year and an occasional Brickyard 400.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #13

You will find that coach will auto set for 30 amp.

You can run 2 ac without issue, the EMS will auto delay as needed.

The inverter will auto fill in when you start to exceed the 30 amps. It will surprise you how much it will do. After the load drops, the inverter will go back to charging the batteries.

I didn't have a power issue on 30 amp till we had 2 ACs, stove top (electric), microwave and I fired up the vacuum. Who Knows what else was running too.

First thing EMS shut down was 1 AC compressor, this kept the stove top and other AC (and other small loads) going on pedestal power.

While the inverter handled the microwave and other small loads.

Only when I flipped the switch on the vacuum did the EMS really shut me down, it still didn't trip any breakers.

My advise: plug it in and push it to the limit, then you will know exactly what it can do. It's not like the old coaches, so the old rules no longer apply.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
You will find that coach will auto set for 30 amp.

You can run 2 ac without issue, the EMS will auto delay as needed.

The inverter will auto fill in when you start to exceed the 30 amps. It will surprise you how much it will do. After the load drops, the inverter will go back to charging the batteries.

I didn't have a power issue on 30 amp till we had 2 ACs, stove top (electric), microwave and I fired up the vacuum. Who Knows what else was running too.

First thing EMS shut down was 1 AC compressor, this kept the stove top and other AC (and other small loads) going on pedestal power.

While the inverter handled the microwave and other small loads.

Only when I flipped the switch on the vacuum did the EMS really shut me down, it still didn't trip any breakers.

My advise: plug it in and push it to the limit, then you will know exactly what it can do. It's not like the old coaches, so the old rules no longer apply.
Thank you for the advice.