Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

2013 Newmar Ventana 4018

Hello. My name is Kevin. My wife (Cyndi Jo) and I have been Class A owners for nearly 20 years (never a Newmar though). We're both about to retire and have been window shopping for a new Class A DP for about four years.

We're about ready to make a purchase and we thought we had a pretty good idea of what we wanted - that is until we came across a Ventana 4018 last weekend at an RV show. We REALLY like that floorplan in a 40 foot coach (I'm pretty sure it's the same floorplan as in the Dutch Star 4018, but without as many options).

Does anyone here own a 2013 Ventana 4018? I'd love to hear your overall opinions of the coach if you do. If not, I'd be happy to hear from any 2013 Dutch Star 4018 owners.

Thanks in advance.

Kev
Kevin Means is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Kevin & Cyndi Jo to the forum & irv2.
Have not found a Ventana 4018 yet but here is a member that was getting a 4018 DSDP and doing allot of homework with Newmar for his purchase.
Here is the Newmar web site and the Ventana coach information.
This link is the Owners Guide.
The DSDP owner found some good info in dealing with the Newmar factory they were very accommodating.
Until we hear from a Ventana owner you have something to get you started for your Newmar coach.
Enjoy the forums and do ask the questions, now is the time.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #3

"We were told at Newmar that the 2013 Dutch Star 4018 is the number one most popular order being placed currently at Newmar! So we're in good company."

This comment was from "Deek" and tells me that we're not the only ones who like this new floorplan. Thanks for the help "007", I appreciate it.

Kev
Old 03-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #4

I believe Deek and skmwalden both have just moved into 4018 Dutch Stars.

A search of their posts will provide you with lots of information regarding their ordering process and subsequent possession.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #5

We don't have a 2013 Ventana 4018 but we do have a 2010 Ventana 3961 which has the full side slideout and two baths similar to the 4018. We love the space of the full slideout and the two baths (we are full time in the coach). The changes over what we have in the back bath, the bedroom and the living room look like normal design improvements that I'm sure you will be happy with. It's a Newmar, nuff said.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, 007 and PDR John, for your posts.

Kev, we just returned from Florida on a trip to Ft. Myers for thirty days after having taken delivery of our 2013 Dutch Star 4018 at Newmar in Nappanee. Coach ran great -- quiet, powerful, fun to drive -- we just had a ball with it at every turn of the road.

We spent a lot of time with Newmar to plan and equip our coach with the options we wanted -- with many of our ideas coming from this Forum (especially from great posts from PDR John).

Our good friend, Steve Morrison (Skmwalden) also bought the same coach we did and also took factory delivery at Nappanee. His coach was delivered one week before ours in early February. Steve has posted extensively on this Forum of his experiences with his delivery and modifications. You will enjoy his input.

I know I speak for Steve and his wife in telling you that we couldn't be happier with our coach. My wife and I have been more than pleased with all of the choices we made in our planning with Newmar and with the layout, build quality and features of the Dutch Star. Both Steve and I came out of Ventana 3433's to buy our Dutch Star 4018's. We both loved our Ventanas. We are over the moon with our Dutch Stars.

When you look at the features between the coaches, you pay for but get a lot more when you move up to Dutch Star, including bigger engine and independent front suspension. It makes the best sense for you to get to a good dealer who has both the Ventana and the Dutch Star in the same size (if not layout) and drive them both. That is the only real way to get the feel of the differences in the models. You may find that the Ventana is just what you want; you may also find that driving both, you can narrow your choice to the Dutch Star. Regardless of model, the Newmar quality will be apparent.

It is hard to find people who are dissatisfied with Newmar. Their product is just terrific and they will do a lot for you to have you a satisfied customer -- including working with you at length to have you customize your coach just the way you want it. The custom touches made a huge difference to us and gave us a coach that we are simply thrilled with.

In addition to the thread 007 referred you to, have a look at my thread, "Who's at Newmar with the new Dutch Star?" -- it chronicles our delivery and impressions as we went through the process. And also be sure to read the thread started by PDR John called "Our 2013 Dutch Star". It is one of the longer running threads on the Newmar Owners' Forum and for good reason -- it deals with most of the important issues all of us have discussed with the '13 Dutch Star and Ventana models. All good reading as you and your wife consider your decision.

You will be very pleased with the 4018 layout if you go that way. And I am sure you will be very happy with Newmar if you buy any one of their products, regardless of model and layout. Fabulous motor homes!

Best of luck and be sure to post any questions to our Forum as you move ahead. We have one of the friendliest and most helpful Forums on iRV2.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies folks. We appreciate it. After more than four years of researching retirement RVs, it was a pleasant surprise indeed to come across the 4018 floorplan. Until we saw this coach, we had pretty much decided on the Winnie or Itasca 42QD, primarily because of its floorplan and tag axle. The biggest drawback was that those coaches are 42 footers (actually, closer to 43 but who's counting). We really wanted a 40 footer, but none of those had the same floorplan, nor did any of the newer coaches 40 footers have a tag axle. So the 4018's floorplan, which is almost identical to the 42QD's (just squished together a little bit), combined with its tag axle, seems to be exactly what we were looking for.

Deek, I read, with earnest, your postings about your experiences and found them very helpful. Thank you.

So I guess it's time to make an appointment with the dealership. Wish us luck, and thanks again.

Kev
Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #8

If you can, come visit the factory.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Means View Post
Thanks for the replies folks. We appreciate it. After more than four years of researching retirement RVs, it was a pleasant surprise indeed to come across the 4018 floorplan. Until we saw this coach, we had pretty much decided on the Winnie or Itasca 42QD, primarily because of its floorplan and tag axle. The biggest drawback was that those coaches are 42 footers (actually, closer to 43 but who's counting). We really wanted a 40 footer, but none of those had the same floorplan, nor did any of the newer coaches 40 footers have a tag axle. So the 4018's floorplan, which is almost identical to the 42QD's (just squished together a little bit), combined with its tag axle, seems to be exactly what we were looking for.

Kev
You will find this very interesting, Kev.

We too loved the 4018 floor plan the first time we saw it -- televator and fireplace directly across from the L sofa -- and all the rest. Outstanding, fresh, innovative design. It to us was "wow" factor to a very large degree.

When we went to Newmar and spent the time we did planning the coach, we commented to the Newmar rep we were working with how innovative we thought the 4018 layout was and how much it impressed us when we saw it. She said that at the time we ordered our coach -- near Halloween last fall -- the Dutch Star 4018 was the number one selling coach at Newmar (might still be for all I know)!

And, even more interesting and more to your point, she said that Newmar developed the 4018 / 4318 design exactly because of the Winnebago / Itasca 42. Newmar's R & D people noted the sales that Winnie / Itasca were having with their layout and they decided to adopt much of the very same design after obtaining top brass approval. It turned out to be a smart decision for Newmar as they have now sold so many units on the 4018 / 4318 floor plan across their most popular models -- '13 Ventana, '13 Dutch Star, '13 Mountain Aire.

One other thing for you to note as you consider your decision. The 4318 is literally only 24" longer than the 4018. At Newmar, they talk about the 4018 as being a "long 40" as it is 40' 8" and they talk about the 4318 as being a "short 43" as it is 42' 8" -- only two feet longer than the 40.

I know we all kind of get freaked out with these numbers on their face -- 40 v. 43 -- but in reality, there is virtually no difference in drivability in either model. If you drive them, you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

But of course the DW will disagree. Mine did. She loved our Ventana 3433 and I had one hard sell to get her to go to the 4018 (which, of course, she now adores). I could not, no matter how hard I tried, convince her to allow us to go with the 4318. My thinking was that I was interested in it because of the value of the few additional things you get v. the 40 -- three A/C's and heat pumps v. two; 10K gen set v. 8K; pull out gen set v. fixed; larger tires and wheels. But I have to say that we are definitely fully and completely satisfied with our 4018 and if we had it to do over, we would do exactly what we did again. It is truly a marvelous motor home!

Best of luck in your deliberations ...

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How is the couch with the pull out extension working out? Doesn't that place anyone sitting on the extension facing away from the main part of the salon? If so, I'd rather have just a straight couch there so the could see the TV and be part of the conversation.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kevin you will find both threads for John and Deek in the QT's # 3 link at the top of the thread.
Still looking for Ventana thread to add there but here is one that maybe of interest.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
How is the couch with the pull out extension working out? Doesn't that place anyone sitting on the extension facing away from the main part of the salon? If so, I'd rather have just a straight couch there so the could see the TV and be part of the conversation.
I'm guessing you are asking about the "L" sofa, Mr. D. We have seen no problem with seating people and having them in the conversation. Remember that for most occasions, you will have either the passenger chair or driver's chair -- or both -- turned toward the main cabin and when we do that, the "L" sofa is perfect for everyone's being involved in the conversation.

If you don't want to turn the front chairs, and in normal usage will not do so, they the conventional straight sofa would probably be the better choice.

When we ordered our coach, there was really a lot of discussion about the design and expected usage of the "L" sofa and several people who ordered the '18' layout -- 4018 or 4318 -- chose not to go with the "L" sofa and went instead with the straight sofa called the "Fold and Tumble". Some people did this to get a better pull out bed (as the "L" sofa is definitely not as good in terms of size as the Fold and Tumble). But for us, we knew that for 90-95% of our use of the coach, it will be just us and we preferred the "L" sofa design with it's "wow" factor. We definitely have not been disappointed and we are very glad that we had the gumption to stay with our choice when we saw so many others bailing out.

That being said, this is really a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer. Our choice was right for us and we're glad we got the "L" sofa.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #13

Kevin,
Just wondering if you and your wife ever purchased the Ventana 4018. We are also looking at that model and would like to know what you think if infact you did buy one. Thanks
Bakubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #14

WOW this thread is perfect I am in the market for a DP the wife loves the 42QD as I do to. The more I've read about both the 42QD and the 4018 I'm leaning more for the 4018. I've heard and read about a lot of QC issues on the 42 but I like the side radiator on the 4018 as I can do all my own service. I hope people will keep on posting the differences between the two. Thanks Robert
Freestyle21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar