Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2014 Canyon Star 3610

We purchased our new Canyon Star January, 2014. We had a wind noise in the door - very loud while driving. We took it to the Service Center at the plant (EXTREMELY great experience with these service people!) The wind noise is less but now we have a very loud noise - sounds like metal on metal when we drive any speed, any road conditions. The screen door still "pops" open when latch is released and does not fit well. The outside main door was extremely hard to close before they adjusted - better now closes much easier.

We have been very impressed with the unit (our 3rd coach). We traded a Winnebago in for this unit. The air conditioning is exceptional and the bath and a half is great with our grandchildren. We have had other issues with the coach that probably should have been detected at the factory before delivery but Newmar has been excellent in fixing all the issues - except for solving the issue with the door.

Does anyone else have an issue with their door?

Bernie Wallerich
Center Valley, PA
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #2

We also get a little noise from the door, mostly when other vehicles pass us on the right ( they said this was normal). I get a little wind noise from it but not enough to bother us. Our screen door also pops out, and the door was hard to close at first but is much better now. We have had ours for about 6 months(bought in Feb 2014)and have put about 5,000 miles on it.

We also had to bring ours in for a short list of things we thought would have been caught at the factory, like some missing parts ect. They also told us the door noise was normal, but checked everything anyway. We don't get that metal on metal sound you are talking about, ocassionally on a rough road we will get a loud metal banging noise and I think it is the steps. We live in California and the roads are terrible until you get about 100 miles away from the LA area, but it still rides pretty good. On smooth roads it ride real smooth and quiet. We do get a tinny metal sound that comes from the fireplace area when we get up to about 60mph. I try and do all the minor repair stuff myself and have tightend several lose screws/bolts ect, while checking the MH out for our trips.

This is our first MH and we are very impressed so far with the quality. I do think someone in Quality Control was sleeping the day ours was checked due to some of the parts that were missing. We seem to be having a slide noise and alignment issues but they also say that is within normal limits. I am down to 3 minor things that need to be fixed under warranty, but waiting on parts. When we have been in campgrounds people always come look at ours and love it, they also tell us their ordeals of buying their new MH (other brands) and long lists of some important things that need to be repaired, some of these people have had their MH's in the shop for months waiting for repairs to be done. So I think Newmar service has been great so far, and the quality has far surpassed some of the other brands we looked at....Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Is the post that makes up the door latch fixed in your unit, or is it loose? Our post was loose and rattled around, and the post in the CS is supposed to be fixed. We attempted to tighten up our ourselves, but it didn't stay tight and had to be fixed at the factory. Perhaps that is the metal on metal sound you are hearing??

Our screen door stuck too and isn't the best latching, but we find when we are level with the jacks down the screen does not bind, but when we are not level the screen door has a tendency to stick.

We too have been very pleased with our CS--yes there have been some things that should have been caught at the factory before it went out, but all in all we have been pleased with the unit. This is our second Newmar, our first was a Mountain Aire '97 back when they still made one on a gas chassis. If we could fault it at all, we wish there were more opportunities for upgrades in the gas models. We miss our leather seats and one piece sink in the bath.

Enjoy your new coach!!
twinknkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having a four year older model CS, I can honestly state I've never had the door issues you are experiencing. However, I did have a rattling issue while underway from the door which never was solved by repeated adjustments. The solution was to engage the deadbolt lock and the noise disappeared so that is what we do. Probably safer while driving too as the door would never pop open with the deadbolt engaged. Never noticed wind noise from the door, just around the front windows.

Agree the CS is a great coach, I also had a Winnie previously and no comparison in quality......
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Our door rattles when the coach is in motion unless the deadbolt is latched. For safety I want the deadbolt latched in any case, so the rattling is my cue to pull over and latch it.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In QT's # 3 there in info on doors and things that break at times that may help you figure what might be going on, here is one of them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We had our door adjusted recently by factory service techs. The door was hard to close. We had to slam it to get it to fully secure. After the latch post was adjusted the issue was resolved. However, while we do not have wind noise we did start to experience a rather loud rattle or noise of some sort coming from the door as we drove down the road, especially when we hit bumps of any kind. Upon close inspection I noticed that there are two rubber/plastic "posts" ...one near the top and the other near the bottom...separating the screen door from the entry door when the two doors come together. There is also a portion of the screen door latch mechanism that comes up against the entry door when the two come together and all three of these items seem to rub when the screen is up against the door. So what we did was to apply a small square of self sticking felt on the end of the two posts and on the plastic of the screen door latch mechanism housing so that when the two doors are up against each other the plastic pieces can not rub ....they are buffered. The end result was that 99% of the noise has been eliminated .
While your noise may be different you may be able to use some of this information to track down whatever the source of your noise may be. Good luck.