Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #15

Anyone has additional info or photo of the Optional Power Sofa/Bed Combination with Sleep Number Air Mattress mention on the 2014 model year ? I'm thinking it's the same one use in hospital beds with power recline/incline adjustment bed.
Vlady Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Some interesting new features, but I question the 23,000# rear axle. I thought 20,000# was the federal weight limit.
Nope, the added an exclusion to the law specifically for RV's early last year. They had one for commercial busses so they really needed to expand it to cover RV's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldulude View Post
Deek........Dave over at SkyRiver is supposed to be emailing me the build sheets for the 2014 DS 4018 and 4347. Hopefully some pics with it!

Hope you two are enjoying your Dutchie!
We are indeed enjoying it, Larry. Thanks for asking. Other than an issue we had on our trip to Florida with loss of turbo due to a compression clamp loosening, fixed in a half hour by the Freightliner dealer in Nashville en route, the coach has been flawless and just a joy to own and operate. We really couldn't be happier with Newmar and our Dutch Star.

I think they made a winner with the '13 DS and having read all the comments on the Newmar Owners' Forum, I am hard pressed to see any problems, issues, complaints from any '13 DS owners.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #18

2014 DS 4018 Pics

Finally found some great Pics of the 2014 DS 4018 . Very Nice changes. 2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Grand Rapids, Michigan | Midway RV Center 14-DSDP-4018 | RVT.com - 81865
Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #19
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
What's that pop-up seat?????

I also noticed the MSRP is about $100,000 more than my 2007 DSDP.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
What's that pop-up seat?????

Looks like a Murphy like bed gives you a place to sit while getting ready
namaste_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #21

That popup bed is called a "Power Flip Up Sofa in Bed Base w/ Sleep Number Premier Air Mattress" according to the Newmar DS 2014 Build Sheet. It doen't look to comfortable, but might be nice if one member of family wants to watch a different channel or just to sit and read.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #22

It's also a $4000. option......that money might be better spent somewhere else on the coach. But I might be overruled by the DW if she decides it is practical for her use.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #23

I see a pair of grandkids sitting there to watch Sesame Street in the bedroom. Absent that scenario, we'll pass on it. Otherwise, it's a beautiful coach. We love the color scheme and especially the leather color. I exterior color is perfect, IMHO. I wonder if they will omit the sofa and put a fireplace under the TV for us?

We hope to be able to buy a 2015/2016 model in order to start our fulltime adventure. The 4018 is our dream coach. 4318 is next in line.

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'd rather lay (or is it lie) in bed.

Quote:
That popup bed is called a "Power Flip Up Sofa in Bed Base w/ Sleep Number Premier Air Mattress" according to the Newmar DS 2014 Build Sheet. It doen't look to comfortable, but might be nice if one member of family wants to watch a different channel or just to sit and read.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #25

Building the 2014 Dutch Star

Gang Dutch Star:

For organizational reasons, I’m adding this to the thread DEEK started on the 2014 Dutch Star although it should have as it’s basis PDR Johns wonderful thread. (See below).

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/our-...ar-136924.html

After several months of research on Newmar and Tiffin models and due in large part to to the advice and counsel from so many in this forum, we are moving ahead with plans to build our 2014 Dutch Star.

Guiding us along this path have been our great new friends skmwalden (Steve) and DEEK (Denis), whose insights and advice have been extraordinary, generous and timely. I’ve also taken the opportunity to thank PDR John whose blog -- http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/our-...ar-136924.html -- surely must be required reading for anyone considering a custom Newmar build. Allow me also to give my thanks to Ma Snart, MJFZ, 007, Roadweary, Mckeerw, Route 66, redbaron73, Steve Ownby and Mr. D. This is only a partial list.

I’ve decided to get “stuck in” to this particular thread of Deek's because it’s a new year and new model. But so much of the information contained is applicable to the decision making process on the 2013 model. While compared to all of you already in “The Show” , I’m still working my way through Class A ball. My only experience with this addiction was a 4K mile, 32 day, bucket-list-fulfilling trip in a Tiffin Allegro last may with the DW and two old yellow labs. We totaled in the neighborhood of 260 in people years. I happened to write a book about the journey describing in detail my numerous bonehead rookie moves. I’m proscribed from revealing the title (according to the forum moderator), but if you just happen to check out page 11 of the May issue of Trailer Life magazine..... All proceeds from this book (all) go to St. Jude Children’s research Hospital. My wife says I’d just lose the $132.11 on golf bets anyway. And there may be a trilogy in the works so be careful what you say!

Inspired by all of you, this rookie Class A guy will attempt to continue the thread -- 2014 version -- and pay it forward for those to follow. With the 2014 models now officially on record, this will signify the start of Part II to Our 2013 Dutch Star. While I can’t bring the experience and expertise of PDR John, the very informative pictures from Ma, Steve and others, or the eloquence of Counselor DEEK, I can at least describe the process for you all to critique and weigh in on. As John mentioned, Michelle at Newmar and other staff there read these posts. I recall your very informative discussions about L-Sofas and Fold and Tumble and the thought of making a collective appeal to Nappanee. Great stuff.

So here’s where we are:

Last week we took the factory tour in Nappanee and were wow’d as you must have been. BTW we stayed at Homespun B&B down on Main street. Fabulous place if you happen to be there rigless. And dogless. Spent the day with Michelle and had a very productive initial meeting with John Sammut. Since it was merely days after the big “reveal” of the 2014 models in Dallas, we were the first to get the info on all the new features and models. That’s good news and bad. Newmar is still getting all the pictures and samples together, and were in the process of taking photos and doing the walk through video tours. Brochures won’t be out until late May, early June. We got to see inside the 2014 Dutch Stars. As Chris from Mt. Comfort (dealer in Indianapolis) would declare during a visit there the following day: “Except for Vorad and some enhanced interior features, the Dutch Stars and Mountain Aires are pretty darn similar! Makes my job either easier or harder.” Your DSs have migrated into the luxury category.
As mentioned, we stopped by Mt Comfort, so that I could experience the joys of Comfort Drive (no connection) and the difference between tag and no tag. Ok. I confess. This was really the very first time my rear end had ever been behind the wheel of a diesel pusher. The Tiffin from last May was a 35’ Allegro Gas. I took out their DS 43’. It was probably 4 days later that I stopped gushing about driving a DP with Comfort Drive. The DW, her brother and his wife who accompanied us, got ill listening to me. Deal with it. Despite all that, my attempt to convince the Navigator that size matters and we should now move to the 43’ were in vain. It did, however, move the needle from 37’ to 40’. She gets her preference, the mid bath model (4038) and I get all 40’. Good compromise.

SInce I’ve taken too much of your reading time already, here’s what we’re thinking. Please feel free to comment, criticize, and critique. Since we have no trade-in and we will definitely be taking delivery at Nappanee as first-timers, I’m told we’re in a good spot negotiation-wise. We’ll see. We’ve contacted and established e-relationships and personal face to face ones with about 8-9 large Newmar dealers around the country. Mt. Comfort is one of them as they were one of four to win the Mahlon Miller award. Chris Anderson there was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Retirement allows us the luxury of just taking our time.

Here’s where we are specs and options (much of this thanks to all of you):

Dutch Star Model 4038
(note: we’re exploring the possibility of replacing the door side 74” easy bed sofa with some sort of cabinet and angled TV which can be seen from the dining and sofa areas opposite. 99% of the time we’ll be by ourselves so we don’t need opposing sofas.)

Options:

Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hardwired Integrated Display EMS-LCHW50C surge protector
2-15M Penguin heat Pump A/C
Stack Washer and Dryer
GE Advantium Convection Oven/Microwave
All electric version (8 batteries) Anyone have any ideas why this is a 13% price increase from 2013 before we go to Michelle?
Replace batteries with AGM Gel versions (Lifeline per PDR John??)
Winegard Trav’Ler (want HD; don’t care about in-motion)
Sirius XM radio
Regular standard Radio and will augment with new Rand McNally or Garmin 760 DEZL LMT (Deek and Steve have weighed in on their preference)
Either the Roll Away table or Desk Dinette
Still thinking Queen bed or may leave it as King. No sleep number
All the electrical options: EMS, LED lights, Power cord reel, Recessed dock lights, Solar prep
BUT NO solar panels
Power water hose reel
Large chrome mirrors
Sliding storage trays
Heating pads for holding tanks (don’t need these per dealer but resaleable)
Power baggage door locks and keyless entry
Kitchen window AND we may ask for the bigger horizontal windows in living area

Still out with the “Jury” stuff:

BriteTek or Molded fiberglass roof. Coin flip time? I’ve read and reread all your thoughts..
electric toilets

“Nice to have but we’re ok for now stuff”:

Power MCD shades

As far as all the interior and exterior color schemes, I am completely out of the picture due to a very convenient affliction: Color blindness. Also my wife used to do commercial design back in the day..We do plan to ask Michelle if we can “borrow” their model/app which allows us to what if exterior color schemes. We were told we have access to most if not all the Newmar paints, and we can try the “fill in” process to create a unique exterior as long as we maintain the Dutch Star graphics. Anyone ever do this.

So that’s it for now. Sorry for the length but we welcome your opinions and insight as always. Factor in that I’m a finance guy (M&A) who doesn’t even pretend to play an engineer on TV. So when John et al can wire their surge protectors themselves, or fix an electric toilet, I’m at the other end of the spectrum.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Phil
RedBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #26

namaste_lv: If I may jump in, we actually operated and rested our carcasses on the "Power Flip Up Sofa in Bed Base w/ Sleep Number Premier Air Mattress" last week. I have to agree with HighwayRanger, Idulude and Route 66: It wasn't particularly comfortable and we had some difficulties with the operation. I have to agree that the $4,029 may have more utility elsewhere. A guy can't have too many TVs. Also, I'm not sure it's legal to watch Jay Leno anywhere other than from your Tempur-pedic.
RedBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Phil ... nice job of condensing your thousands of hours of reading and research into one page. I will be interested in the responses as there is always more to learn. I really appreciate all the folks that post on this forum.

Keep at it until you are sitting in that driver's seat heading somewhere.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
That popup bed is called a "Power Flip Up Sofa in Bed Base w/ Sleep Number Premier Air Mattress" according to the Newmar DS 2014 Build Sheet.
Geez ... here I was thinking it was the Ejector Seat for Two!!!

Phil, we are all looking forward to your posts about your journey in Newmar Land and Dutch Star Avenue. Having been there ourselves, it will be lots of fun learning from you and your wife about how you ultimately choose to equip your Magic Carpet Ride. Do a good job cause we will be watching.

And remember that Michelle Howard will be your Guardian Angel (plus a few of us thrown in for good measure).

If you manage to get the 28% you are working on, I have some more space in my office to get you back out of retirement and into my law practice. We always need another experienced hand at negotiating cases and if you can pull this off, you are my kind of guy!

One thing I think I can say to you safely -- your experience tooling around in the Dutch Star 43 and how blown away you were by it are, IMO, simply part and parcel of the Dutch Star experience. There is no question that it is terrific.

I remember so vividly reading PDR John's postings on his new '13 Dutch Star and wondering whether it could really be as good as he was saying. Well ... I'm here to tell you that it is. Your DS test drive with the 450HP motor, the tag axle, the Comfort Steering show you just how good it all is. What you experienced is what you get with Newmar.

You and your wife are going to be very, very happy I am sure, and all of us motor heads who have kicked this stuff around for all these months are all looking forward to tuning in to your posts as you go. Keep 'em coming!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote