RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 02:46 AM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
2014 Dutch Star 4018 Sofa Base?

I'm looking to replace the "L" shape sofa with a straight sofa. Looking under the "L" sofa, there is a wooden base about 4" tall. Does anyone know if this is hiding something (plumbing or electrical) or is just for sofa support?

Thanks

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #2

We had the selling dealer order in a straight sofa to replace the "L" shaped one our coach was built with. The raised section under the sofa was not affected or changed when the straight sofa was installed. We have been happy with what we feel is improved utility/seating, better room for sleeping arrangement, horizontal TV watching, by having changed to the straight sofa.

Sorry, but I can not answer your question about what is beneath the raised area. Being able to lower the sofa by the height of the raised section would certainly improve the comfort of the seating height of the sofa.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
My best guess is that the raised section is for the slide mechanism underneath.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"TinMan Trvlr".....was there anything special about the sofa you ordered, or was it something that Newmar offered. The "L" shape is so uncomfortable nd no one ever sits on the short section. We would also like a more comfortable bed.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #5

We had our dealer get the straight sofa that Newmar offered as an alternative to the "L" sofa, having it shipped inside another coach being delivered a couple of months after we made our deal (mid winter, over the phone). The dealer had it installed by the time we picked up the coach in April. The "pleather" matched the original "L" sofa colour and trim exactly. Without going to the coach I can not give you the name of the manufacturer, but it will be the same one as the original sofa. I expect you can buy it from the sofa manufacturer versus getting it through the Newmar parts department. If you need me to find a number stamped on it I will examine it for one and let you know.

The straight sofa does not rest on the raised portion of floor under it except where the legs are bolted to the floor. We can vacuum under the sofa and get at the wall areas behind and beside it when we lift up the lower section. It accommodates the two seat belts for that seating position. When made up into a bed it is about the same size as a queen size bed, reasonably accommodating two "small to regular" sized adults. It is quite spacious for one person if you happen to get into "the dog house". ;-)

Since it is a three section hinged folding hide-a-bed configuration, sitting at either end next to the arm has you sitting over a couple of inches of the mechanism, but if you are a few inches in or in the middle it is quite comfortable. My wife's most comfortable when sitting banked up with a pillow against the arm, with her back leaning against a pillow supported by the kitchen counter area or the wall at the front and feet up on the seating surface for reading or watching TV. I can "just" stretch out full length to watch TV or nap if I raise my shoulders and head high enough with a pillow to clear the arm. I believe the space the sofa fits in is just over six feet long. We have not regretted replacing the "L" shaped sofa. I wish you that same positive result if you make the change.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"TinMan Trvlr"......Wow.....perfect description of what I needed to know. My wife also sits in that corner like your wife does.....same thing at home. I also wanted a nicer bed there, then the jackknife the "L" makes into. My dealer is really good at getting me things at his cost. I'll talk to him first.

Thank you very much.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:45 PM   #7

You are welcome Don. I went to the coach today and got the Flexsteel part number and a photo for you. If you can not make out the details, p.m. me and I will send them directly to your email.

I will try to enclose the photos with this thread post but am not sure if my iRV@ skills are up to linking an email to a thread post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	176861  
Old 09-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

Second photo enclosed that did not post with the first. Don't know why it posts upside down, but if I click on it it opens "right side up".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	176862  
Old 09-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Perfect, that's our color too! Plus, the wife got to see how it looks in place.

Tags
dutch star