Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #155

If those two lights are on it is usually a problem with. The after treatment system and it needs a regen the shop may have to force a manual regent.
mgard64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard64 View Post
If those two lights are on it is usually a problem with. The after treatment system and it needs a regen the shop may have to force a manual regent.
On a brand new engine with < 75 miles??? So far diagnostics don't indicate a problem with DPF or regen process.

Rejoining the game?
RedBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #157

I was letting you know what those lights mean as I own several tractor trailers. That all have the after treatment system on them I have them come on with a new truck also. I really don't understand this new emmisions stuff myself but my mechanics tell me that's what it means and what they do. It could be a bad sensor in the after treatment system also.
mgard64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #158

Well, Hoots (and other readers), we're about to find out about the vaunted Newmar reputation. I have every confidence it will will come through unscathed.
Carl Snyder has been on top of all this and In fact called just minutes ago.

The bottom line: still no resolution.

Cummins Crosspoint has replaced and checked (in the following order) the ERG sensor, the ECM and the wiring harness. As of 5 pm Wednesday, my man Luke at Cummins is waiting for marching orders from his Field Service tech (don't ask me how that hierarchy works. Just repeating the news). Here's what could happen:

1) The FST gives Luke the go ahead, with permission from Freightliner, to keep on trucking -- so to speak -- and take diagnostics to the next step; or

2). Cummins Crosspoint throws up their hands and wrenches and releases the Blue Guy to the"OEM" party responsible (read: Freightliner) to take to their big service center in Ft Wayne; or

3). Newmar steps in, takes possession of the coach and takes it to Nappanee where a roving team of techs from Ft Wayne freightliner comes to fix the problem.

Translation: turn your TVs on tomorrow at 4:07 and look down the 3rd base dugout about 5 rows up. I'll be the one with the red Cardinal hat punctuated by a Camp Freightliner t-shirt.

I think I'm showing true patience and restraint. Aided mightily by a Gentleman named Jack (right, John?)

There's good and bad news. Here's the good: it's possible I might catch some NLCS games if the Cards advance........

Rejoining the game?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #159

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pessman View Post
Well, Hoots (and other readers), we're about to find out about the vaunted Newmar reputation......
Y'know, whenever I hear about bizarre, irrational stuff like this, I think back to a 1988 cheap%&s Hyundai I bought as a commuter car (a car I could leave in the freight lot at JFK for 2 weeks and it would still be there when I got back-- but I digress). Anyway, when it got to be about 5 years old, in very cold winter weather (like <15-20 deg) this car would start up just fine, but the dash lights wouldn't work, both directionals would fade in and out, and the temp gauge would peg, among other weird things. After about ten minutes of this, I'd hear an audible click and all would instantly return to proper operation. Took me a long time to chew on this and pore over wiring diagrams 'til I found one big harness connector buried far under the dash that was obviously loose/wracked in some way and would alter or change its contacts on a few pins due to shrinkage in extreme cold. Once the cabin warmed up some, proper contacts would be restored. Never worth the aggravation of tearing it apart to fix it.

But I bet your triumvirate will eventually find some weird, inconceivable mix of stuff that could never possibly happen, but did, and when informed, everyone will respond "no s*&t!!". Just hope you survive the process with your humor intact!

Quote:
I think I'm showing true patience and restraint. Aided mightily by a Gentleman named Jack (right, John?)
Now, I don't know why everyone seems to refer back to me whenever the subject of JD floats by. Actually, I used to sip Wild Turkey, but that was back in the AF, usually at about 7AM with my partner after night work,.... but I digress again. Anyway, I'm starting to get concerned for my hard earned (but precarious) reputation!

Quote:
There's good and bad news. Here's the good: it's possible I might catch some NLCS games if the Cards advance........
Hope is futile!!!! Fenway awaits!!!

Two weeks!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #160

It's another "John"!

And the AL plays an illegal form of baseball. The DH is for sissies! Ha ha

Rejoining the game?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #161

Monaco Owners Club
The good news is this will be fixed, the bad news it sometimes takes a couple of years to get all the coaches issues resolved. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #162

There must be something that is going to happen at one of those games, that's all.

At least all I can think to say.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #163

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
It's another "John"!
Me and my friend Jack.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #164

As we wait for the next missive from repair central, let me see if I can put things in perspective:

- It takes Newmar 3 days to build a Dutch Star from the chassis up (give or take a few days for the paint job...I watched this happen);

- NASA engineers can remotely correct a complicated malfunction on the Mars Lander from "6 light years" away;

- Diesel engine engineers are 7 days in and counting on their attempt to turn off an engine malfunction light icon on a recreational vehicle

........and that isn't rocket science!

So in my downtime I've come up with a business plan and a contest for the Hoots:

The new business - lets colocate an RV simulation machine at certain Freightliner and Cummins service centers. The customer could sit in a Dutch Star mock up and view a screen driving through various national parks. There could even be a toilet and a galley in the back to satisfy basic human needs. All this to distract from the lengthy repair process.

And the contest:

A bottle of fine wine to the Hoot who correctly chooses the exact time I hear from Indiana that the Blue Guy is ready for prime time (the precise date and time I get the call. I'll be honest about that call. Honest. )

Entries will be accepted until midnight tomorrow.

Whaddya say?

Rejoining the game?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #165

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
A bottle of fine wine to the Hoot who correctly chooses the exact time I hear from Indiana that the Blue Guy is ready for prime time (the precise date and time I get the call. I'll be honest about that call. Honest. )

Entries will be accepted until midnight tomorrow.

Whaddya say?
Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 10:25 am EST
FLSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #166

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A month ending in "ber" and day ending in "y"
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #167

Newmar Owners Club
Tomorrow by the close of business.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote