Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #15

The waiting game sucks. At least you're waiting for what you want.

This summer we've met more people who bought a motorhome they didn't like, only to be trading if off for a different one. They still don't like the layout of the one their buying.

Then they insist that we're foolish for buying new, when all added up they've spent way more then our custom order did.

It would be truly great if it all worked out for you to show in Oct., but I understand the time crunch.

Thanks for the update, even if it just to say you're waiting.

Somebody else will read this and know that their not alone in their experience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #16

The Cost of Specials

During the "down time" while we wait for news of the build schedule, one of the issues which is puzzling but many of us can address is the entire pricing concept for "Specials". Our experience has been that, while you can get pretty close to determining an aggregate cost for "Specials", it's almost impossible to figure out what costs are on an item by item basis.

FlaSam's query above got me thinking about that.

We feel confident that the charges Newmar attaches to Specials and modifications are quite reasonable. Even when it's a admin change using a slightly different product (still within the Newmar inventory), they always claim a charge for "sending something back to engineering for redesign" to affect such a change. For example, we asked that the mirror, which comes standard, be omitted on the kitchen wall which connects to the bathroom on the other side. We also had them eliminate the mirrors on the sliding wardrobe doors in the bedroom area and just use the appropriate wood paneling. The act of omission (leaving something out) would seem to be a fairly routine, cost free action for Newmar. However, there is a cost associated with going back to the basic design plans and making the change.

Since the dealer basically receives a "$xxxx cost of Specials" from Newmar (do they?), we have no idea what that cost was.

Would be interested to learn of everyone else's experience.......
RedBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #17

Our experience was the same as yours. No real break down of: leave couch out add cabinet. Just "here what your coach will cost" with a list of items and their price.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #18

Yes the dealer was a bit vague with it all. He did tell me the charge for the custom paint was around $500.

Ma Snart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	845.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	42349  
Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pessman View Post
extended service warranty (wholesale warranties)
Remember that you have a one year warranty from Newmar, so if you buy a service policy (NOT a "warranty" as they're a contract) when you first get the MH you lose one year of the service policy coverage.
Personally I'd never buy one. We've spent far less than what a service policy would have cost on all the repairs, maintenance (which aren't covered) and tires (which also aren't covered) than what a service policy would have cost us.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #20

We're in the process of ordering a 2014 Ventana and received a detailed quote for each individual special item. The dealer is Guaranty RV in Oregon. There is a guy on site who works for Newmar.
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:21 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Pessman,
Good to hear that you're making progress with your new coach, sorry to hear about the "Roost". Not to worry, I've got this strange feeling that this won't be the last Roost. Please keep us up to date on how things are going.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #22

Extended Service Warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Remember that you have a one year warranty from Newmar, so if you buy a service policy (NOT a "warranty" as they're a contract) when you first get the MH you lose one year of the service policy coverage.
Personally I'd never buy one. We've spent far less than what a service policy would have cost on all the repairs, maintenance (which aren't covered) and tires (which also aren't covered) than what a service policy would have cost us.

The issue of extended service warranties (EW) is certainly cause for debate within the greater RV community. We routinely ignore them for consumer electronic items, cars, appliances etc. For most dealerships the EW is a way to increase profits since the margins applied to many, XtraRide and Cornerstone for example, can be in excess of 30%. I absolutely agree that the term "warranty" is probably a misnomer. It should be considered an insurance policy and it better be backed by an AM Best AAA rated insurance company. The one year overlap of "warranty" is definitely overkill, but there are policies where not having secured the EW at the outset may affect claims down the road ("that problem happened during your original warranty period so we don't cover it!").

For every Mr D out there spending far less than what a service policy would have cost them, I would wager there is a counterpart pulling a few thousand $$ out of his wallet for repairs most of which might have been covered under such a policy. My engineer friends who have the wonderful ability to get into the guts of the electrical and other systems and make repairs can probably forego the extended insurance policies and. I happen to be a mechanical klutz (career finance background) and a friend with an Essex persuaded me that there's a "Lot of stuff going on inside that new Dutch Star that could conceivably go haywire" for all the best of reasons. We've all done the factory tour and seen the insides.

My guess is this topic might split the RV blogosphere right down the middle and there is no right or wrong answer or position. The important thing I think is to go into the process with eyes wide open, study the policies and companies in detail, do some price comparisons, make sure it's a comprehemsive "exclusionary policy" backed by a solid insurance company with stable finances, and hope nothing serious ever happens. Unfortunately, it can.

For those of us on the "we purchased an EW" side of the equation, it's really peace of mind. I went the wholesale warranties route for a lot of reasons, not least among them that they had a far far better policy than my dealer was offering at 50% of the price.

Having said all that, there are pros and cons to each side and good solid reasons for not having an EW as well! Thanks for starting a great debate. Hope others weigh in on both sides.........
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakalama View Post
We're in the process of ordering a 2014 Ventana and received a detailed quote for each individual special item. The dealer is Guaranty RV in Oregon. There is a guy on site who works for Newmar.

That's terrific!! You're one of the lucky few!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Snart View Post
Yes the dealer was a bit vague with it all. He did tell me the charge for the custom paint was around $500.

Ma Snart
I ordered custom paint for the Ventana and agreed to a $1000 upcharge. The factory MSRP, itemized it at $884 and we are very happy with the change.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #25

DWs and Gentlemen:

We have officially received "The Calls" -- the ones from Carl Snyder and Linda Setnor. There is now definitely a Dutch Star in our future.

There is even a build schedule and much to our surprise it starts this week!! To wit:

Chassis prep. Aug 9
Main Line. Aug 14
Paint Aug 19
Final Release. Aug 27
Ready for P/U. Sep 16
CPU Sep 23. ( our request based on other commitments)

I told Jo Ellen it finally hit me when Carl told me what my Vin # was!!

So....the official excitement -- the one you all experienced-- has now begun. Guess I'll have to rustle up some $$$$

If you happen to be at Camp Newmar in late August and see a DS with a bizarre paint scheme. That's us. Don't blame the color blind pilot

More to come......
Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
I love to hear good news!

Look forward to seeing it in person in Tennessee.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Post pictures as soon as you have some!

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #28

Great news!