Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
How about some pictures?

Mike
My pics are in a format (RAW) that has to be converted. We're away from home (Mac) and not sure my iPad will convert. Will try.

Rejoining the game?
RedBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Phil --

Great to hear the story of your adventure.

As you very well know, those of us who are sitting at a distance just love to hear all about the adventure, so iPad miscues or not, keep the words coming ... and of course the pics. Can we possibly get one or two pics that show you installing the rivets that voided the warranty??!!

I take full credit for cajoling you to get to Nappanee this week instead of watching the Cardinals / Pirates game. Did I happen to give you decent advice on this sojourn to Building 7?

Deek
FMCA #363986 / What an Incredible Hoot!
2022 Newmar New Aire 3541 / Freightliner with DriveTech / 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Eco-diesel / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
There may be a setting on your camera to take RAW+ Jpeg for each shot. On our Nikon it has that option. This is because we all really want to see pictures so maybe this can help.
Great write up and thanks for keeping the happy factor alive.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #46

Thanks, Qwert. There is the ability to change the camera setting from RAW to jpeg. The problem appears to be the upload speed in either format. I just have my iPad and am subject to a very iffy wifi at the B&B. so.....I'm including a link to Shutterfly Share in the next thread response. I'll just keep adding pics as they upload....
Old 08-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #47

Pictures from Warehouse 7

At the risk of boring everyone with a multitude of "photos from my summer vacation", feel free to access the following link on Shutterfly Share.
Since I'm too lazy to attach descriptions to each one, feel free to ask what they are.

Apologies in advance for duplicates, pictures which don't make any sense and even those that do. Here's the link:

http://dutchstar4038.shutterfly.com/

Will do the write up Day 2 separately.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #48

Goin'' down the Line: Day 2

Day 2 was no less exciting or amazing than Day 1. For all of you who have done the tour multiple times, I started mouthing the Newmar spiel as Michelle spoke it to the next crowd of Newmar wannabes and current owners.

I can't imagine having my car serviced (or built) and engaging in an animated discussion with the guy changing my oil and checking the brake pads. That said, I am now on a first name basis with a number of the guys putting the pieces together. The tour group enters warehouse 7 and you're chomping at the bit to find out where your coach is in the grand scheme of production. Michelle finally relented and gave me the " ok, go ahead" nod. In my case, the coach was in the corner where they put the front cap on. Once again, I was summoned up and into the coach and the gang wanted me to take a picture of the work order with my name on it. Randy mentioned he was about to lift the front cap held by the big suction cups and affixit to the front of the Dutch Star. Took him about 5 minutes.

As I said yesterday, I finally saw some "skin". The old DS was covered with the stuff except where the slide areas and windows were cut out. It's kind of like when they put the wallboards on your new house, only in this case you can expect another day for the "house" to get finished instead of 12 months. A couple dozen or so pictures later Michelle gave me the high sign to catch up -- from 75 yards away. Talk about anti-climactic. You just want to stay and watch your coach get built and protocol forces you otherwise. To repeat: you are not allowed to be left unaccompanied in the warehouse.

So it was off for lunch, an introductory greeting with Carl Snyder and Jeannie, and 45 minutes later back for the 1 pm.

In 45 minutes, the coach had whizzed through the preliminary attachment of the fiberglass roof and onto to bigger and better things. Merle said I could go up the steps and onto the platform which overlooks the roof. There on the roof was the Satellite dish!! Oh yeah. Now we're talkin'! I also got some shots of the from and rear lights on. I didn't realize that had these Audi-like string of beaded lights under the front headlights. Cool!

Tomorrow we do the electric slide. Turn up the volume.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Great stuff, Phil!!! Keep it coming!! We're all tuned in.

Deek

P.S. In one or two of the posted pictures, it kind of looks like you're a pretty happy camper! Do I guess right on this??!!
2022 Newmar New Aire 3541 / Freightliner with DriveTech / 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Eco-diesel / NHSO
Old 08-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you guys are having a blast! I can't imagine what it's like to watch as it comes through the line.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #51

X2 with Harley, must be amazing watch the birth of your coach
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #52

Last Day on the Line

Deek: Amen to happy camperdom
Charlie: it's a religious experience
Spinner: passing out cigars at the birthing.

Today is Day 3 and the end of the line both for me and a certain 4038. Pictures and write up of this last day will necessarily have to be delayed since the schedule includes lunch meeting with Newmar folks, immediate departure for Dan's Hitch in Elkhart after the 1 pm tour and a 6-7 hour drive back to Cardinal nation. I was able to get the Blue Ox baseplate installed on the CR-V at Dan's, which is Newmars recommended outside installer. Air Force One will have to wait for the return trip or be done in StL. DEEK, I'll give a nod to your alma mater as I whiz by on I-80.

I would like to make mention of two loosely related things and hope the thread police will not arrest me in the process. For those who come to Nappanee sans coach - a small population no doubt, but all those like me who are just starting the adventure - I can't recommend a stay at Homespun B&B highly enough. The innkeepers, Diane and Dennis Debelak, are extraordinary hosts, the accommodations and location perfect, and the fare more than reasonable. $89 a night. You can't stay at the Holiday Inn express or something similar miles away for that. Breakfast, served around 8-8:30 is not to be missed. Yesterday it was special French toast, local sausage, coffee cake, fresh peaches from Diane's tree, raspberries and bananas , great coffee, fresh OJ etc. Snacks and food are out all day long for your enjoyment. i look forward to partaking in all those things DEEK et al mentioned when we're coach bound, but for those of you here without it, look no further. This is the place to stay.

Related to the B&B was an invitation to one of the most special evenings I've had in some time. Diane organized an invite for me and one of the other Inn guests to dinner and evening with a local Amish family, complete with buggy ride. The DinnEr was amazing and as you all know, completely home grown. Tossed salad with special homemade poppyseed dressing, mashed potatoes from spuds dug up that morning; a buttery cream sauce for the potatoes, green beans, chicken, meat loaf, noodles, fresh fruit, homemade bread and strawberry preserves canned by our hostess, Jane. Peanut butter and fresh peach pie with ice cream; and in case you were still hungry, a blueberry jello whip. Anybody else hungry? Conversations were wide open and unrestricted on both sides. These are genuinely wonderful, caring people. To recap all our discussions, the tour of the house, barn, and the area would take a few chapters, so I'll look forward to story telling with the Hoots in October. Suffice it to say that I will go back with the DW when we come for pick up in September. Don't know that we'll have time but Jane has promised Jo Ellen a quilting session on her Treddler (?). I was deeply touched by their gracious hospitality and the differences between Amish and "English" last night seemed extremely narrow.

By the way, Leander of Newmar customer pick up fame, is Jane's uncle and NOT Amish. That's a whole other discussion.....
Old 08-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Great posts, Phil, and a great one wrapping up your visit as your coach was built. I am sooooo glad you got to go during this important time. You will always remember it and always treasure the memories.

Fabulous recommendations for all of us in Nappanee. Thanks for taking the time to put them down for all of us vicarious snoopers to be thrilled by. As you know yourself, this is all a big part of the fun -- watching others go through the same process and giving their thoughts about what they see and do as they go.

You are, of course, going to be head over heels with the coach. That starts a whole new subject and one we will all look forward to hearing about.

DO NOT forget to post your additional pictures when you can. Can't wait to see them!

Most of the Newmar workers are huge Notre Dame fans -- I have enjoyed talking to them about the Irish. Hope when you passed by South Bend on the Indiana Toll Road you got to see Brian Kelly getting them ready for the upcoming season.

Best wishes ....

Deek
Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Wow great write up!! If I didn't think the DW would cut me off and possibly cut some special parts off me I would look into a new coach just to go through birthing process. Congrats again, and can't wait to hear all the stories and see your new baby in October.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #55

A Last Look

All the pictures are now at the Shutterfly website. Certainly more than even Jo Ellen wanted to see but just chalk it up to enthusiasm. My apologies for the volume. I plan to go back and edit as well as tell the "build story".

http://dutchstar4038.shutterly.com

Last day was a bit of a blur. The coach was past roofing, slides were all in and the gang was putting in cabinet doors, fabrics, electronics and the drivers console. I have to relay one final story. As I was approaching the coach during the morning tour, John and David, hang dog looks on their faces, came up and said basically the following:

"Phil, we have a big issue we need to discuss. Dave Garl told us to find you on the line."

"Ok. shoot."

"We screwed up and made a mistake. We know you didn't want the soffit and wood fascia on the drivers side slide, but the guys went ahead and framed out for it. Just routine for us and we didnt catch the change. We're truly sorry. If you'd like us to change that, we'll be happy to do it. We'll need to tear out what we've done as well as part of the ceiling but we can do it. Just let us know."

....and that why I love these guys. Absolutely up front. Something wrong and they're right on top of it. No hiding. No worming out of it. 'We messed up and we'll fix it".

We'll in the grand scheme of the many things that could and may go wrong, this was a gnats eyelash. Just keep truckin'. Wasnt a big deal and certainly not necessary to start ripping stuff out. I had some fun with the guys and told them I would take the big hits from the DW but they would owe me one. Asked them if I could move in with them for a week while the worst blows over. "Absolutely. Stay as long as you want." A lot of laughter later and case closed. I did however cal the boss to beg forgiveness but it was no biggie for her either.

If you look at the last of the pictures you'll see the part to which I'm referring. I guess the moral of the story over the last few days is this: if at all possible, go watch your unit in production. There may be occasions where your input is needed and don't be afraid to give it unsolicited Get to know these guys on a personal first name basis. They welcome it.

I'm glad I did.

Monday it goes to paint. Then two weeks of testing and we'll be back Sep 23rd to begin the fun. Michelle is sending pictures post paint job. This will be interesting. 2013 Canyon Star 'Seaglass' colors, all switched around, on a 2014 Dutch Star body. Blue skin. Well, granite metallic. Hopefully we won't look like a giant smurf.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #56

Very good, can't wait to see it in person. Congrats again.