RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #1

2014 Dutchstar GPS map

My 2014 Dutchstar GPS Clarion NX 501 map seems out of date, I think it is a 2011 software update, it is not very accurate on roads that are only 2 or 3 years old. Anyone have this issue. I am thinking it should be a warranty issue if I need to pay for the update, if a newer one is available? I should at least have the latest available at the time of purchase?

Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Centerfire,
The Clarion web site for your product says:

Easy Navigation Map Updates
It is easy to keep the navigation system up to date. Simply download new map data from Clarion’s portal site, store them on a microSD card and insert it into the NX501 via the front card slot. Unpleasant surprises are now avoided as navigation maps will match the real world.

Go to Clarion U.S.A | Software Update / Download and see if that provide instructions for you to get the latest and greatest.

As to getting the most current information at time of purchase, it isn't going to happen. Who knows how far in advance of installation the unit was manufactured? At time of installation one received whatever Clarion put in the box.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Centerfire,
The Clarion web site for your product says:

Easy Navigation Map Updates
It is easy to keep the navigation system up to date. Simply download new map data from Clarion’s portal site, store them on a microSD card and insert it into the NX501 via the front card slot. Unpleasant surprises are now avoided as navigation maps will match the real world.

Go to Clarion U.S.A | Software Update / Download and see if that provide instructions for you to get the latest and greatest.

As to getting the most current information at time of purchase, it isn't going to happen. Who knows how far in advance of installation the unit was manufactured? At time of installation one received whatever Clarion put in the box.
Pretty cool, your update looks like it is free, my system cost $59.00 to $79.00 per year. Smart Phone is free so far!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #4

The reason I'm leaning to get a dedicated GPS mounted on the dash while driving. Most have unlimited updates. Not as slick looking but closer to eye level just a thought.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #5

Center fire I feel your pain. I have the same issues but Clarion was no help. First their update software does not support any Apple products???? Then who's computer has a place to insert the microchip. Sorry just a bitch about a poorly designed product.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #6

Thanks to all. I ordered a garmin 760 rv unit that will solve all my needs. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
Thanks to all. I ordered a garmin 760 rv unit that will solve all my needs. Thanks again for the suggestions.
I already had the Garmin 760 RV for my current RV with lifetime updates so I decided not to order the Clarion with my 2015 DS. As a result, I've added a 12V plug on the driver side so that I can use the GPS on the driver's side.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I to have the Garmin 760 rv and it does work well. Were do you set the unit or suction cup to. I have not been able to find a good spot on the dash area of the 11 MA.
Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
I to have the Garmin 760 rv and it does work well. Were do you set the unit or suction cup to. I have not been able to find a good spot on the dash area of the 11 MA.
Good Luck
JP
In my current Safari Simba, I use a suction cup on the driver's window located low enough to not interfere with seeing the driver's side view mirror. I'm hoping that I'll be able to do the same thing with my DS4018.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
Good Luck
JP
I also use a Garmin RV760. I had a 12v receptacle installed in the forward area of the dashboard deck near the left bottom corner of the windshield. I purchased a flexible gooseneck suction cup (see link), which I mount forward of the driver's side window. The flexible gooseneck is great for mounting to the side window, rather than all the way forward on the windshield itself. Mounting it on the windshield would not allow you to reach the device while seated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jigs
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #11

Are dedicated units more popular than just mounting your cell phone? Is it because it's easier to read? Makes sense if you're traveling w/ a coach.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phwang20 View Post
Are dedicated units more popular than just mounting your cell phone? Is it because it's easier to read? Makes sense if you're traveling w/ a coach.
There are RV specific features in specific Garmin and Rand McNally GPS systems, such as:

• Easy-to-read 7" display
  • Customized RV routing for lower 48 states and Canada
  • America’s RV Parks & Services directory
  • RV trip planning and sharing
  • Lifetime map² and traffic³ updates
  • Wireless backup camera compatible

Tags
gps