Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Question 2014 Mountain Aire Power Problems

I saw a video on YouTube the other day from an owner of a 2014 Mountain Aire coach. He was complaining that the 450 hp Cummins did not have enough power to get the coach up a 6 degree hill.

Are there any owners of the 2014 Mountain Aire that could comment on this issue?
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
I saw a video on YouTube the other day from an owner of a 2014 Mountain Aire coach. He was complaining that the 450 hp Cummins did not have enough power to get the coach up a 6 degree hill.

Are there any owners of the 2014 Mountain Aire that could comment on this issue?
Hard to tell since the video didn't show how long the hill was, and what was being towed, and at what elevation. It would be interesting to know the RPM's, sounds like the motor got below the sweet spot.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

I'm thinking he is having a fuel or air problem. His coach isn't much heavier then mine and I don't have that problem.

It'll go has fast as I want to pour fuel through it. He needs to have Freightliner look at it.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

Curious why the OP joined today and immediately posted this as his first video. If you go to utube and read the details, it was uploaded by hartcool1 and I'm wondering if this OP is the same guy. He may have a legitimate gripe but is it Newmar bashing?????
Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Curious why the OP joined today and immediately posted this as his first video. If you go to utube and read the details, it was uploaded by hartcool1 and I'm wondering if this OP is the same guy. He may have a legitimate gripe but is it Newmar bashing?????
I must have missed the "bashing." Whether it's his video or not, he's just asking if others have had the problem. Let's make a new member welcome.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Thank you Sarah. My thoughts exactly.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Another location to ask is this forum or one of these chassis forums dependent which chassis it is.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #8

We have an 04 Essex with a 500 ISM. We were in Lake Tahoe 7000 plus and a new Mountain Aire from Florida came into the RV park with the same issue as you. He said he was down to 30mph on some grades in to Tahoe. When Essex was new we never were lower then 45 out here in the west were we do a lot of our travels. With your emissions you can't do anything with the exhaust which I did. But something I have been working with is water/methanol system from Snow Performance. I am working with another irv2 user on the Cummins page and you might follow what we are talking about. You can pick up at least 5 mph on 6plus% grades with the Snow system. I have seen 10mph on those grades out west were we are with a 50% methanol mix but since I am able to pull those kinds of grades at 58 to 60 in 5th thats what I am using. Only use system for 6plus% grades and that sounds like what you need or a KING AIRE. Tom
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

Do want to check fuel filter and also look at air filter restriction gauge to make sure it's not above 17 or 18. From my experience there is small improvement in performance and boost with a air filter upgrade.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #10

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Not Bashing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass

//////

Hi Iass,

Not bashing. I'm looking forward to buying an RV for full timing. I have done a lot of research and I have been impressed with Newmar as a company and the Mountain Aire as the RV to get. I love the full slide out, the Comfort Drive technology, the 1.5 baths, Oasis heating, etc etc. It's a beautiful RV. But, I did get concerned when I saw the video and the fact that Newmar did not seem to be proactive to look into and try to help fix the problem.

I knew about this forum, so I saw it as the right place to go to for answers.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly people do try to help others with questions in this forum.

Thank you.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by lass Curious why the OP joined today and immediately posted this as his first video. If you go to utube and read the details, it was uploaded by hartcool1 and I'm wondering if this OP is the same guy. He may have a legitimate gripe but is it Newmar bashing????? ////// Hi Iass, Not bashing. I'm looking forward to buying an RV for full timing. I have done a lot of research and I have been impressed with Newmar as a company and the Mountain Aire as the RV to get. I love the full slide out, the Comfort Drive technology, the 1.5 baths, Oasis heating, etc etc. It's a beautiful RV. But, I did get concerned when I saw the video and the fact that Newmar did not seem to be proactive to look into and try to help fix the problem. I knew about this forum, so I saw it as the right place to go to for answers. I was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly people do try to help others with questions in this forum. Thank you.
You're in the right place. Welcome to irv2.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
cucotx! With that relatively small hill there's definitely something wrong with his coach. I climb similar hills on the Mass turnpike at about 55 and routinely get passed by 400 and 450hp DP's going 65+. I could climb them at 65+ too if I wanted to listen to my V10 scream and get 2.2MPG!

I'm surprised he says that Newmar is not interested, my experience with them is quite different. They are very responsive and interested in making sure I'm happy, both during the warranty period and after it. For sure Freightliner would be interested in helping him, they should be able to diagnose the issue fairly quickly.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't know that I have enough mountain experience to be too critical but...

One thing that I do is actively control the tranny. When I went to the Spartan owner's course, we were taught that while the tranny is smart...it ain't that smart. I attacked the few big grades of around 6% that I have run into early with a manual down shift to 5th and punched the RPM right up to 2000-2100. That almost immediately reduced my water temp 20* and shortly later my tranny fluid temp dropped about the same. I will punch down a gear after RPM get below 2000 and repeat as needed. I guess I'm just not worried about what speed that makes.

Now...this was over Mount Eagle on I-24 in TN so elevation was not excessive at all. I am running at about 40,500# GCWR with my toad with a 400 HP Cummins ISL.

I'm just thinking that I would have considered manually doing the same in his situation. Not sure it is right but it seems to work for me.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I don't know that I have enough mountain experience to be too critical but...

One thing that I do is actively control the tranny. When I went to the Spartan owner's course, we were taught that while the tranny is smart...it ain't that smart. I attacked the few big grades of around 6% that I have run into early with a manual down shift to 5th and punched the RPM right up to 2000-2100. That almost immediately reduced my water temp 20* and shortly later my tranny fluid temp dropped about the same. I will punch down a gear after RPM get below 2000 and repeat as needed. I guess I'm just not worried about what speed that makes.

Now...this was over Mount Eagle on I-24 in TN so elevation was not excessive at all. I am running at about 40,500# GCWR with my toad with a 400 HP Cummins ISL.

I'm just thinking that I would have considered manually doing the same in his situation. Not sure it is right but it seems to work for me.
X2 Sky_Boss,

Manage the RPM's, and don't push the tranny/water temp and you'll go over the hill as fast as you can safely. Or just slow down and take it easy. It's the downhill side of the mountain that we pay the most attention to!!

Tags
power