Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #1

2014 Newmar ?

Any word out if Newmar will introduce “Seamless Box Construction” on their slide out system in 2014.

Check Tiffin’s 2013 video at 1 min. 10 seconds.

These edge design details are found on Newell, Foretravel and Prevost. Hope Newmar would consider such edge design construction with all the rave of flush mounted windows to compliment the overall look in 2014.

Vlady Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlady Daddy View Post
Any word out if Newmar will introduce “Seamless Box Construction” on their slide out system in 2014.

Check Tiffin’s 2013 video at 1 min. 10 seconds.

These edge design details are found on Newell, Foretravel and Prevost. Hope Newmar would consider such edge design construction with all the rave of flush mounted windows to compliment the overall look in 2014.

ummmmmm ......

That's a nice little phrase the girl uses on the video, but that is not something new, not even for Tiffin. Most of the comparable units in the industry have that now, and Newmar has had it for years. In fact, like almost everything else about slides in RVs, Newmar was probably first.

Go take a look at some of the Newmar exterior pictures. Very obvious.

Newmar Corp | Luxury Motorhomes, RVs and More

I like Tiffin, especially all the light they get in their units. And if you want small, the Breeze does have two outstanding floorplans, at 28 and 32 feet the smallest diesels in the industry, as they claim.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #3

Wondered when Tiffin was going to catch up with the industry. Their slides look terrible.

When you get a chance to look at a Tiffin and a Newmar side-by-side you will see the difference in the design/workmanship!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

I was hoping a video was worth a million words. Here is a picture that’s worth only 1000 words to clarify Seamless Edge construction vs. Flush Slide Wall construction. I’m talking about the Seamless Edge on the slide out edge without a piece that runs around the border like a picture frame.

Click here for my illustration of the "edge" not being "seamless" on the 2013 Newmar2013 King Aire
Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
I was hoping a video was worth a million words. Here is a picture that’s worth only 1000 words to clarify Seamless Edge construction vs. Flush Slide Wall construction. I’m talking about the Seamless Edge on the slide out edge without a piece that runs around the border like a picture frame.

Click here for my illustration of the "edge" not being "seamless" on the 2013 Newmar2013 King Aire
The video might have been worth more if she had used a few more words. "New for 2013, our Seamless Box construction." (she brushes hand on sidewall) "When this box is in, it is nice and seamless." ??? Not a lot of info there.

And the Newmar pic is no more clear - it is only YOUR words which finally define and clarify... "...I’m talking about the Seamless Edge on the slide out edge without a piece that runs around the border like a picture frame..."

Now ... if you will go back to your Newmar pic (or any other on the Newmar site) you will see it is NOT "...a piece that runs around the border like a picture frame...". It is on the BOTTOM EDGE ONLY to beef up that edge which gets the most wear and tear over the life of the slide. The other three edges ARE "Seamless" per your description.

This is a FEATURE, not a flaw.

I think if you looked at a Newmar in person, you would see the quality in the build.

JMO, of course.

Kathryn

~~~

Old 11-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #6

Kathryn...I'm now confused ! I still see the edge trimming vertically and horizontally on a 2013 King Aire promo video at 51 sec. and at 1 min. 41 sec.
" It is on the BOTTOM EDGE ONLY to beef up that edge"

Click here for snapshot photo at 51 seconds into the video

Click here for a snapshot photo at 1 min. 41 sec. into the video

This is a picture of a motorcoach I was referring to "seamless edge" or no trim piece around the edge of the slide out
Newell seamless slideout.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #7

Here is a snapshot photo of the Tiffin promo video I posted initially about the "Seamless Box Construction" the salesperson stated on the slideout. Notice the rounded corners which exist on all seamless edge construction.

Click here for Tiffin 2014 "Seamless Box Construction".

I hope Newmar follows the trend to streamline the exterior design with flawless transition between slideout and sidewalls when the slides are retracted for 2014 model year. I personally like Newmar myself. This is just a wishlist for me.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not a problem for me, I'd still buy a Newmar again. We're on our second one now and, if we ever wear it out, we'll get another one. Doubt that will happen though as I'm almost 66 and ours is still doing just fine. Would like a bigger refer though but no room to put one in so we'll just muddle along.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942 View Post
Wondered when Tiffin was going to catch up with the industry. Their slides look terrible.

When you get a chance to look at a Tiffin and a Newmar side-by-side you will see the difference in the design/workmanship!
Ditto!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Kathryn...I'm now confused ! I still see the edge trimming vertically and horizontally on a 2013 King Aire promo video at 51 sec. and at 1 min. 41 sec.
" It is on the BOTTOM EDGE ONLY to beef up that edge"

Click here for snapshot photo at 51 seconds into the video

Click here for a snapshot photo at 1 min. 41 sec. into the video

This is a picture of a motorcoach I was referring to "seamless edge" or no trim piece around the edge of the slide out
Newell seamless slideout.

Okay - now picture #2 is very clear - you got me on that since I have never seen that in their pics before. Maybe my eyes are bad, but even pic #1 I don't see the edge going up.

At any rate ... you are Correct! and I stand corrected! LOL!

Still doesn't change my personal decision - unless I fall for a VERY high quality used (Like a Beaver or Monaco Signature), then there will be a nice new 2013 Dutch Star in my near future!

Kathryn

~~~

Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #11

Newmar, if you are reading this tread, please tell Santa I have been very very good this year. I’d like to see my wish come true without spend $1.7 million on a high-end coach.

Photo of a Newell slideout construction
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2 Vlady Daddy.
Your picture in post seven shows the slide side edge as the same as the Newmars have been since I have owned Newmars.
The slide edge has always closed into a recess edge around the slide on to a special seal,made for Newmar, that cuts down on noise and has kept the wet weather from gaining access to interior of coach.
Many Mfg's other than Newmar had their slides close flush with the outside wall surface with a seal behind the overlap of slide on the outside wall surface and if slide was not tight against the wall surface would allow water, noise to enter the interior of coach.
Newmar has improved the appearance of this surround of slide area with a better flush surface on slide but still uses the recess into the wall on their most expensive coach's because it has always worked for them.
The last picture of Newell maybe a expensive proposition for Newmar to develop and stay in the price range of their motor home line-ups.
.Here is a interesting thread on how Newell slides work and other items.
Newmar is now a sponsor of this forum and may look in on this forum but you could contact them with your wish list and this feature and maybe they can give you a better reason then I have given, you can use this link for contact.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's amazing to me how many other manufacturers come in a make big claims for their "new" innovation but never mention that Newmar has had it for years!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #14

Thank you for the welcome 007 and the link to Newmar.

The picture on post seven is typical what I have seen on most RV's I browse on the internet. There is an extended lip on the edge which you explain and becomes flush with the rubber gasket when retracted. One thing that stood out watching the Tiffin video is the lip without additional layer of trim piece that goes around the edge on the slideout wall which I describe as a picture frame border. I’ll ask Newmar the purpose of the trim piece layer (not the actual lip on the edge).

As far as Newell slick box corner, It was just a wishful thinking on my part. I think Newell use metal slideout boxes since they are sporting chrome accents on sidewall and I read they use inflatable bladder gaskets around the slideout walls. It seals the entire slideout without using topper awnings like Prevost.

Tags
newmar