Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2014 Newmar Bay Star 3103

Newbie to rving. Just bought our first coach. Have a 2000 Tacoma toad and vespa. Anything we need need to know about the Bay Star 3103 that would be helpful? Do's and Don't are appreciated. Thanks
pitacrew3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #2

Welcome to the Newmar family, you will love your Bay Star, al the Newmar products are quality built. You will have many questions as you continue your journey and this is the place to come. Just keep reading the different posts and you will learn alot. If you have specific questions just ask and the people who will respond on this site are a wealth of knowledge. The only thing I can think of is to make sure you can tow the Tacoma, we have a 2006 4Runner and it cannot be dinghy towed.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Below in my signature are links to many more links for your Newmar'
Here is another thread that maybe of help for you.
Congrats on your BS and a welcome to the Newmar family.
Enjoy the forums and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #4

I have a 3103 purchased this past spring. Dealer did the Cheap Handling Fix and find it drives and handles well (did not drive it before this was done so can't compare to without it.) I had the dealer install GoPower 160 watt solar panels so I don't have to worry about battery discharge especially when in storage for winter. Also had Progressive Industries EMS 50 surge protector installed. Also a whole house water filter. I had sofa deleted at factory and I purchased two Lambright LazyRelaxor recliners instead--I don't need the sofa bed and find the recliners much more comfortable. Just had Blue Ox towbar, baseplate etc installed on Honda CRV 2014 and RV handles it nicely. Yes, a few problems but dealer fixed quickly except bad passenger window which leaks and we are waiting for a new window from Newmar. Just one thing.....make sure you unlock the slide before attempting to deploy it. Otherwise, back to the dealer for a fix. (Don't ask me how I know this!) One more thing--I have a check list which I now religiously look atwhen I set up and before I head out--"hook/unhook, deploy/stow, on/off" which includes mundane stuff like electric cable, tv cable, antenna, dining chairs secured, etc, etc. Maybe it is overkill but I won't be one of those dragginga sewer hose down the road! LOve my unit and hope you enjoy yours just as much.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #5

That coach is a jewel. If it would have fit where we go a lot I would have bought the 3103 instead of the 2903 . The layout is great. I believe you have the f53 22000# Ford chassis. I nick named ours the tank. It is overbuilt and I love it. No overload problems. Enjoy it.
zrobotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobotman View Post
That coach is a jewel. If it would have fit where we go a lot I would have bought the 3103 instead of the 2903 . The layout is great. I believe you have the f53 22000# Ford chassis. I nick named ours the tank. It is overbuilt and I love it. No overload problems. Enjoy it.
Thanks. We had a tough time finding something that had most of what we wanted and was smaller then 32 feet. Yes we have the F53 and 22000# chassis. Haven't decided on a name yet!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you have added some nice options. Our list is already started of things we would like to add, additional solar panels, central vac, etc. We will have to start on a setup and and headout checklist, that's a great idea. Thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #8

We have the 2014 Bay Star 3103. As far as I know, the 2014 is on the 20,500 lbs chassis. The 22,000 didn't start until the 2015 model year. We love the 3103. I have made no changes to the coach as far as handling is concerned, and find that it drives and handles well. Like any motorhome, you will feel a crosswind. Ours was loaded up with most of the available options (dealer stock unit). We even got a couple options that we didn't want, like the 3rd TV in the area over the driver and passenger, and the in motion satellite dish. At 6'4", I love the King Bed. Once you get used to your new coach, you will have to let me know how you like it, and what kind of MPG you get. I can tell you, setting the cruise at 70 and running the generator for the house A/C, will get you about 5.5 MPG
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #9

Enjoy your new coach. Post some pictures when you can. Congrats.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #10

Remember that the generator will use about .68 gallons per hour under full load. This effects your MPG
zrobotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobotman View Post
Remember that the generator will use about .68 gallons per hour under full load. This effects your MPG
I don't know if that's true or not but .68 gallons per hr for 65 miles (65 mph) doesn't seem like it would make much difference.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
We have the 2014 Bay Star 3103. As far as I know, the 2014 is on the 20,500 lbs chassis. The 22,000 didn't start until the 2015 model year. We love the 3103. I have made no changes to the coach as far as handling is concerned, and find that it drives and handles well. Like any motorhome, you will feel a crosswind. Ours was loaded up with most of the available options (dealer stock unit). We even got a couple options that we didn't want, like the 3rd TV in the area over the driver and passenger, and the in motion satellite dish. At 6'4", I love the King Bed. Once you get used to your new coach, you will have to let me know how you like it, and what kind of MPG you get. I can tell you, setting the cruise at 70 and running the generator for the house A/C, will get you about 5.5 MPG
You are correct on the chassis, my error. The extras you have in options are there and I am sure you can live with them but those are items we would not have elected if given the choice. As far as TV's, it already has one too many for our taste but at least the one in the bedroom doesn't take up any space. Is the house A/C really necessary to keep it cool while driving? I would think it may be needed only if you are in really hot temps. The MPG doesn't sound so good but after we have a chance to put some miles on it I'll let you know what we are getting. California gas I am sure can only make it worse!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #13

We have the 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610 on the 26,000 lb chassis and so far we have been averaging about 8 mpg. We have put about 8,000 miles on it so far and I think the gas mileage has improved a little as it breaks in.

We have the 22.5 tires so I don't know if that affects the gas mileage, but your MH weighs less than ours, so I would think you will get better than 5.5 mpg. We don't always run the generator when we drive but when we do, it doesn't seem to make that much difference in the gas mileage(maybe down to 7.5 mpg if we ran it for a good distance). The thing that really affects the gas mileage is speed and letting it run on the cruise control (unless you are on a long flat road without any type of rise or fall in elevation). We run ours between 60-62 mph as that's where I get the best mileage, and I feel that controlling the engine speed myself has been more efficient than the cruise control. I have ran it faster than my norm and the gas mileage goes down a few mpg.

We live in California too and so far the dash air has worked fine keeping us cool in the drivers area. We have driven in temps as high as 115 degrees and still felt cool with just the ash air. If we have passengers in the MH and it is hot out, then I do run the front A/C. A few times when we have been about 30 minutes from our destination and it is hot out, I have started the generator and ran both A/C's to cool down the MH until I could hook it up too the campground electricity.

When gas was still around $4 a gallon, it was costing us about .50 cents per mile to drive, so now it may be a little cheaper. Don't worry about the gas mileage, nothing compares to pulling into a CG, setting up, sleeping in your own bed, and no more paying for a hotel balances out the gas over a long trip.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitacrew3 View Post
You are correct on the chassis, my error. The extras you have in options are there and I am sure you can live with them but those are items we would not have elected if given the choice. As far as TV's, it already has one too many for our taste but at least the one in the bedroom doesn't take up any space. Is the house A/C really necessary to keep it cool while driving? I would think it may be needed only if you are in really hot temps. The MPG doesn't sound so good but after we have a chance to put some miles on it I'll let you know what we are getting. California gas I am sure can only make it worse!
I have heard that running the dash A/C will cost you more in mpg, than running the generator, we pretty much always run the generator, and both A/C units. I wish our coach didn't have the front TV. The mid-ship (I think it is refered to as the 'Salon TV' is good enough. During the day, we don't watch TV, but at night, the DW goes back to the bedroom and reads or checks her FB, and I might watch some TV. I have also found that the depth of the seat on the couch is too shallow, for me to be comfortable. Also If you have the dinette table that pulls out from the credenza (SP) with a gas strut underneath, be aware that the screws they used to attach it to the table (at least on the 2014 model) are very small and shallow. I had to replace ours already. The only other thing that I have found lacking in our coach, is the lack of and kind or water pressure in the shower, from both the water pump and city water. I will be installing a shoer head made for low pressure situations.

We looked for a long time to find the manufacturer and coach that we wanted. We love our 3103. Living on the East coast, It is time to put ours to bed for the winter :( , but we are already planning trips for next year.

I would stronly recommend that you install a surge protector. It will probably save the electronis in your coach. I installed Progressive Industies HW50C (50 amp service) about a month ago, and it tripped on the first weekend that we used it, due to low voltages from the campground. I'm not sure why Newmar doesn't include one as standard equipment.

Enjoy your coach! you picked a good one IMHO
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar