Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #1

2014 Ventana 4037 Coax Question

I got my 4037 last October off a dealer lot, and have only driven it home.
Yesterday, it warmed up enough that I could start having a closer look at things. I started with the A/V system, that I had thought was not correctly cabled from the factory when I was looking at it before the cold weather took over. I noticed a couple of Coax cables coming out of the ceiling in the top of the A/V cabinet. They were not connected to anything.
I ran the Over the Air antenna up, and turned on a TV. The TV screen reported that there was no antenna connection. I tried pressing the button on that "thingy" adjacent to the passenger seat. No luck with the green light on or off.
I admit that I never thought to try this when I was going through the coach at the dealer.
So here I am.
I have no idea how the OTA gets connected to the TV's. I removed the bedroom TV (because it's easier) to see what it had for connections. It DID have a coax cable connected to it, but I don't know what that cable is connected to - OTA or park cable connection. It had two HDMI connections as well. One definitely operates from the DVD player (I tried it - it worked great). The other looks like it goes to a wall connection in the bedroom A/V cabinet.
My coach came with the HDMI upgrade, and I'm sure I can get that all working correctly using the HDMI inputs and outputs on the Sony receiver.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction with those coax cables in the front A/V cabinet, however. (One is a black cable, and one is a gray cable). If they have nothing to do with the OTA or park cable connections, I would sure like to know how to get those working as well.

It might be helpful to note that our bus has the inside elevator TV, an outside TV, and the bedroom TV. There are two powered HDMI splitters - one has two connected cables labelled "Satellite", and the others' connected cables are labelled "DVD". There was an HDMI cable from the DVD player to the front of the "DVD" splitter. (Last fall I opined on this forum that it seemed odd that the HDMI connections were not being made through the Sony receiver - but that's another thread best left in antiquity.)

Any assistance would sure be appreciated.
Thank you.
Rob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #2

My guess is both are for your satellite receiver, being SAT 1 and SAT 2. I have a 2014 Dutch Star, and only have one coax in the a/v compartment. It's from the satellite dish. The park cable across the coach just in front of the oasis heater, in the pass through compartment. In the storage compartment just forward of the pegboard compartment, are my connections for an outside tv. (We chose not to have the outside tv, but it is still wired for it. Your connections would all be behind your tv.) Above the controller for the awning is a large coax splitter. I believe this is where both the park cable and the antenna join, and distribute to all the televisions. The old selector box in older coaches is now gone, and sources are selected at the tv. I'm not sure where the HDMI cable would go, other than from your receiver to one of the splitters. In our coach, the bedroom TV is independent of the front TV. It's necessary to have a second satellite receiver to watch satellite in the bedroom.

Did you do a channel search once you selected the antenna input? Green light off, perform channel search.

If you can see the coax connection on your televator, is it a black or gray cable? If you have a dome satellite, does it have two cables?

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rob, if you go into QT's # 3 and find PDR John's Mod section it has threads on HDMI cabling and other TV-LCD hookups in Newmar coach's.
Here is also a general layout of things in a Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would be very surprised if your coax cable is not hooked up. Try using the TV remote and: Turn on the TV press press the Home button then select settings. For the signal type make sure you are on Antenna. You can select auto program afterwards to pickup local digital channels. Just make sure the switch behind the passenger seat is on before doing this. You should see a green led light if the switch is on.

I had to do this initially because mine was not set to Antenna.

Good luck
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post

Did you do a channel search once you selected the antenna input? Green light off, perform channel search. No I didn't because the TV reported "no connection". It was the same whether the green light was on or not.

If you can see the coax connection on your televator, is it a black or gray cable? If you have a dome satellite, does it have two cables? I didn't have a look at the televator because of the hassle of having to get the couch out of the way first. It looks like I'll have to do it anyway.
I do have a satellite installed, a Winegard Trav'ler. I haven't bought the box for it yet, because we won't be out for another 3 months or so. I just went out and looked at the back of the Trav'ler module - and guess what? No coax connection. You hit the nail on the head for at least one of them. It's for the satellite. I thought the big cable coming to the back of the module was carrying the signal as well.
I now suspect that the other one is for a cable box.
But it doesn't answer why the OTA doesn't work.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Thank you for your comments. I feel like I'm part way there. Now it seems so obvious, and I feel like an idiot. But a happier one.
This weekend, I'm going to run a cable out of the house to that connection in the electrical compartment, and see what happens. I had put a tone generator on that connection, and tested to see if it went to one of the connections in the A/V compartment. I didn't get a signal, so I figured it didn't go there.
Rob
Old 02-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
I would be very surprised if your coax cable is not hooked up. Try using the TV remote and: Turn on the TV press press the Home button then select settings. For the signal type make sure you are on Antenna. You can select auto program afterwards to pickup local digital channels. Just make sure the switch behind the passenger seat is on before doing this. You should see a green led light if the switch is on.

I had to do this initially because mine was not set to Antenna.

Good luck
Thanks Ken. I think I tried that. The TV just reported "no connection". It stayed black - not snowy like if you were not on a channel. It's good to know that the green light needs to be on to use the OTA.
Rob
Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2419360]Rob, if you go into [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newmar-quick-tips-and-easy-mods-3-a-113631.html
QT's # 3[/URL][/B] and find PDR John's Mod section it has threads on HDMI cabling and other TV-LCD hookups in Newmar coach's.
Thank you 007.
PDR John (and his buddy Dutch Star Don) has been the source of most of my woes. I want to do EVERYTHING to my bus that he has done to his. Only problem is he is way smarter than me. <<grin>> I just have to grind away, and with the help of everyone here, I'll get there.
I hope.
Rob

Tags
vent