Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #1

2014 Ventana 4369

Looked at a 2014 Ventana 4369 recently both the wife and i really liked the layout and everything with the coach. I have two concerns first the rear radiator is this a deal changer? Will the 400 HP Cummins have enough snort for pulling mountains with either a small suv or a trailer with 2 motorcycles each approx 3000-3500 lbs.

This will be a first time buy we have been looking for years at various dealers etc, and the Ventana really fits what we want, at the same time i want a quality long lasting product, would a Dutch Star be a better option. There is years and years of vast knowledge on here, i know its a Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet thing i would just like real world adventures how its working for you?
thank you - dreaming and looking forward to admiring all the beauty out there to see.

Jill n Craig
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #2

I'm currently rolling at 107 lbs of total combined weight, coach and toad, per 1 hp and get everywhere I want to go.
If the coach and toad weight, vs HP, is in the 100/1 range you should do fine particularly because the ISL ( ?) 400 HP has 50% more torque than my Cat. If by snort, you mean get to the top of the hill without sweating; If you want to hold freeway speed on every hill that's a different story.
Rear rad would be a deal breaker for me : I do my own work : but a lot would come down to how in love with the floor plan the DW was.

Good Luck in your search.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Many have the rear radiators and the FL Chassis was not a deal breaker for them.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
In my signature below are many more links for the Newmar.
Good luck in your search.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are many people with rear radiators that have no problem with it. I will say that engine maintenance is more difficult thus more expensive with rear radiators. If that's no problem then you're ok.
I have a C9 CAT in my coach which has 400hp and I don't have problems even towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Can I accelerate up steep grades? No! But I'm not in a hurry and I am certainly not the slowest one going up.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

Thank you all very much I don't plan on doing my engine maintenance except preventive. We live several hundred miles from Newmar dealer drove it in minor wind the comfort control is amazing again thank you safe enjoyable travels
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #6

We have a Ventana 4037 with 400 hp, towing a 3700 lb Jeep. Just came thru Colorado from Utah along I 70 which has some pretty good grades. Lowest I got was around 45 mph on a couple of the really long grades. Passed a lot of trucks and motorhomes on the uphill grades. On normal uphills, Coach holds its own.
As for the rear / side radiator discussion, I can't comment as have never owned a side rad unit. I can see how maintenance would be more difficult with the rear radiator setup. I think the side radiators tend to be on the more expensive new units so I guess it evens out.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #7

Hello, we originally had a 2008 39' Newmar Kountry Star with a 400 HP ISL and side radiator. This combination had amazing power to weight even towing a Silverado Crew-cab.
We now have a 2012 Newmar Ventana 4333 with an ISC rear radiator and 380HP. We were concerned about the power and finally got the dealer to hook up our Silverado and headed out in the mountains for a 3 hour test drive.
Now it certainly doesn't have the power to weight ratio of our previous coach but it certainly moves us along.
Manually gearing down to keep the RPMs at around 2000 gets up any incline a few minutes slower than our last coach.
In our experience the Newmar product is fantastic, service is exceptional, and the tag axle and Comfort Drive are unbeatable.
The cost of having the unit serviced has not changed significantly.
You will not be disappointed.
Best of luck in your choice and future journeys.

Jim
Old 09-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The rear radiator would be a deal breaker for me, but I do my own work too, plus I like to save money! I can change the serpentine belt in about 10 min alongside the road and most of that is finding the correct tools. But, I've never broken a belt either. I did replace the OEM one at about 25,000 miles. It was still in great shape so I put it under the bed for a spare.
We're kind of looking at new rigs and the DSDP 4375 seems to be the DW's choice. I thought I liked the 4372 but the walking clearance with the slides in is terrible.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargee View Post
...This will be a first time buy we have been looking for years at various dealers etc, and the Ventana really fits what we want, at the same time i want a quality long lasting product, would a Dutch Star be a better option. ...

Jill n Craig
We went through a similar decision-making process when we bought our Canyon Star. We were originally looking the Bay Star, but by the time you added up all the options we wanted that came standard with the Canyon Star it was less than 10% more. Since we were buying a coach that would last us 15 years we decided to get the Canyon Star, we've not regretted it!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #10

The rear radiator is no fun if you like to do your own maintenance. Whether or not it has enough power is subjective. What is adequate for some may be disappointing for others. With a smaller motor I always felt as if I had to flog it to maintain 40-45 miles per hour up steep hills and watch the coolant temp and EGTs. It required more work/attention to drive.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent