Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #1

2015 Backup camera at night

I just had my first drive at night. The backup camera has been doing great during the day -- I leave it on all the time.

At night, it seems to turn into a "foggy" mess. Here's a snapshot I took of it:

You can see my tow car faintly, and everything else is pretty much unusable. It's almost as if light is leaking in from nearby lights on the coach or something, reflecting off the lens/cover somehow, and making it so the camera can't really gain up to give a clear picture.

Is this what you all have, too?
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 05:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try adjusting the brightness or contras at night to cut down on glare from camera.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:48 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same problem. Have tried all adjustments to no avail. Mine is mostly dark and only picks up headlights of vehicles behind me. Almost useless at night. I assume to problem is in the camera as opposed to the monitor.

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison
It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
And you need it on all the time for what reason?
Only time mine is turned on is when backing up with the toad unhitched.

I'm too busy looking at both iPad and laptop GPS screens & the VMSpc laptop info plus the road once in a while to have time to check the backup monitor.
Even then I use the mirrors to see what is in back of me. And the TPMS monitor will tell me if the toad has a tire losing air.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
I just had my first drive at night. The backup camera has been doing great during the day -- I leave it on all the time.

At night, it seems to turn into a "foggy" mess. Here's a snapshot I took of it:

You can see my tow car faintly, and everything else is pretty much unusable. It's almost as if light is leaking in from nearby lights on the coach or something, reflecting off the lens/cover somehow, and making it so the camera can't really gain up to give a clear picture.

Is this what you all have, too?

Mine does the same. I believe it is caused by the infrared lights that turn on in the dark. I actually had mine replaced to no avail. It's a design flaw. I have found that any dirt, even slight water spots, make it worse. If you clean the lens cover well it is much better. Of course that only last until it rains a little...
Old 04-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
Mine does the same. I believe it is caused by the infrared lights that turn on in the dark. I actually had mine replaced to no avail. It's a design flaw. I have found that any dirt, even slight water spots, make it worse. If you clean the lens cover well it is much better. Of course that only last until it rains a little...
+1 on the above. Headlights are about all you can expect to see at night (these are not high-quality infrared cameras, after all) unless you are in a lighted parking lot.
Keeping the lenses EXTREMELY clean will help.

My rear camera is on all the time as well- I have 3 ; one on the passenger side for passing or parking, one pointed down at the hitch/toad and the other pointed to the rear- I switch between them as needed.

Nothing replaces a good view of your surroundings.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #7

It's caused by the infrared LEDs reflecting on the dirty lens. I try to stop and clean mine right before dark.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

Ah, fascinating. I would not think this would be a great application for IR in the first place. Maybe I will look at disabling the IR to see how it "looks" without.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera