Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #15

We took our 3920 CS to Silverton CO a couple weeks ago without a dinghy and with ~550lbs of two dirt bikes in the garage. The passes south of Silverton were slow going, up and down, as we certainly expected. We were very happy not to have a dinghy.

The front screen door on our 2014 CS has a sticker giving the allowable weight in the garage, so maybe check for a sticker. An 800lb gold cart doesn't sound like too much, depending as others have said what else you have loaded in the RV.

At the park where we stayed, we met a gentleman (and family I'm sure, but I just met him) with a 3921 that had a Razr in the garage and pulled a 20' trailer with another Razr and something else in it. He wasn't too happy about being "pushed" down the passes , as I wouldn't be either! He was using tow/haul mode, I believe.

Maybe you already do, but using the tow/haul transmission mode is very important, even if you're not towing: it really helps avoid heating up your brakes. You do still have to brake on something that steep, of course, but not the whole way down.

cheers
tilliejacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #16

RODZ

As I noted. There is more to consider than the strength of the hitch to increase tow specifications, any engineer or other people knowlegable in this area know the entire power train, plus other loading factors come into play. The GVWR on the vehicle noted is 26,000lbs and the GCWR is 30,000lbs and the vehicle is rated for 5000lbs towing. Boosting the hitch strength alone does not change these ratings and if one is operating outside of the vehicle specifications it is illegal and possibly dangerous. And yes, an F250 can be configured for tow weights that far exceed 10,000lbs, but an F250 does not weigh 26,000lbs before it puts the tow load on it and axel ratios, transmission and engine + the hitch factors into this. There are a variety of F250 configurations that have significantly different tow capacities. Nontheless each vehicle MUST stay under the GCWR, GVWR Axel weights etc as specified. Again, strengting the hitch alone does NOT change these limiting factors. Perhaps this might help understand what I was referring to re boosting up the hitch is only one part of the equation and does not necessarily increase what one can legally tow.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
As I noted. There is more to consider than the strength of the hitch to increase tow specifications, any engineer or other people knowlegable in this area know the entire power train, plus other loading factors come into play. The GVWR on the vehicle noted is 26,000lbs and the GCWR is 30,000lbs and the vehicle is rated for 5000lbs towing. Boosting the hitch strength does not change these ratings and if one is operating outside of the vehicle specifications it is illegal and possibly dangerous. And yes an F250 can be configured for tow weights that far exceed 10,000lbs but an F250 does not weigh 26,000lbs before it puts the tow load on it and axel ratios, transmission and engine + the hitch factors into this. Nontheless each vehicle MUST stay under the GCWR, GVWR Axel weights etc as specified. Strengting the hitch alone does NOT change these limiting factors.
Heavy vehicles and trailers are pulled every day without issues. Be safe but not paranoid. You would really be shocked if you went to a race track and everyone is pulling 8 to 10,000 lb trailers with motorhomes. I've done it for 30 yrs. and have never heard of anyone having problems doing it and there could be a couple hundred rigs like that at any track at any one time. The problem comes when 10,000 lb trailers are pulled with 5,000 lb vans. The 5000 lb vehicles will tow it but they can't control it.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RVBuddy,
The concern is the total weight of your total package. You'll have 4271 pounds of weight for the "stuff" you put in the coach. Load up the coach with the golf car. Have the coach weighed. If you need to adjust what is carried then do so. The largest weight savings can be had by carrying a less than full fresh water tank. For me, I feel you'll be okay weight wise. As for power, patience will be needed in the mountains.

The weight will affect the rear axle more than the front axle. Try to load the golf car as far forward as possible.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi RVBuddy,
The concern is the total weight of your total package. You'll have 4271 pounds of weight for the "stuff" you put in the coach. Load up the coach with the golf car. Have the coach weighed. If you need to adjust what is carried then do so. The largest weight savings can be had by carrying a less than full fresh water tank. For me, I feel you'll be okay weight wise. As for power, patience will be needed in the mountains.

The weight will affect the rear axle more than the front axle. Try to load the golf car as far forward as possible.
Patience meaning like going 45mph up a steep grade? Also I wonder how loud will the engine sound inside?
RVBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #20

You can hear the engine for sure, but it's not that bad, you can still carry on a conversation. It's better insulated than alot of MH's I've driven, and much quieter.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
You can hear the engine for sure, but it's not that bad, you can still carry on a conversation. It's better insulated than alot of MH's I've driven, and much quieter.
That's very good news! Thanks!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
We are going to add the optional stackable washer-Dryer in the garage. Will be good for our long trips out west.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #23

Ours is all plumbed for the washer/dryer combo. It is located in a big closet between the big slide and the bedroom. We haven't put one in yet because we like the extra storage area, and when we stay in most nicer CG's they have washer/dryers ect. When we are able to use it more we might consider getting it as we do like to stay in the State CG's.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
A few pics of the Washer/Dryer option in the garage.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #25

Looks very similar to our set up, except ours is in the Coach. The 3900 series toyhaulers do have alot of storage with the garage.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #26

RV BUDDY

That is a nice rig. Are there secure tiedown stations and vehicle chocks in the garage?
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #27

Washer and Dryer

Is your 3921 a 2015 or 2014? The reason I ask is that we were told the washer and dryer could not be installed on 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuddy View Post
A few pics of the Washer/Dryer option in the garage.

vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
Is your 3921 a 2015 or 2014? The reason I ask is that we were told the washer and dryer could not be installed on 2015.
Hi Frank, that's not our RV. The pics were just examples. Why are the washer/dryers not a option for 2015? The brochure says it is.

When we order our 2016 unit we want the washer/dryer in the garage. It's a deal breaker if can't have it.

Tags
tow, towing