Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #1

2015 DS 4369: Shower Leak

This has been happening for months on my 15DS4369. The shower leaks and the water comes out of the corner where the shower base meets the tile and wall just to the right as you go into the bathroom.

I knew that it wasn't coming from the plumbing (a bit of testing) and so I caulked along the seams in the shower where the sidewalls meet the basepan, and also along the vertical seams to the side of the shower controls.

When I caulked, it stopped. Then, a few months later, it happened again. I caulked and it stopped.

Today, it happened again. Guess I'm caulking again today.

I can't see any one place where it's happening, but it must be along those seams somewhere! I hate to see water under the pocket door (and into the bedroom side), but that's what happens. My plan is to only caulk a portion of it today and see if it stops. Got to narrow down the problem area.

Anyone have a similar issue? Ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #2

We had this in our last coach. There was a void along upright channel of shower track that water would get behind track then run down and was coming out another void in base track. I pulled it all out and cleaned and re-installed with sufficient squeeze out on inside edge of all tracks. Pain in the rear but solved having water all over floor of coach
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #3

If yhe caulk is silicone it maybe the cause of the temporary fix.

Silicone is a poor adhesive...best used as a "gasket" between surfaces that are connected w fasteners.
If silicone was used originally nothing will stick to that area...not even more silicone withput adequate & proper surface prep...
I've used liberal amounts of acetone to wipe after all traces have been removed...I've also wrt sanded the area on fiberglass. There are silicone removers but I have no first hand experience w them.
I've used 3M 5200... with spne success...only caution is it is permanent...can't be removed.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
This has been happening for months on my 15DS4369. The shower leaks and the water comes out of the corner where the shower base meets the tile and wall just to the right as you go into the bathroom.

I knew that it wasn't coming from the plumbing (a bit of testing) and so I caulked along the seams in the shower where the sidewalls meet the basepan, and also along the vertical seams to the side of the shower controls.

When I caulked, it stopped. Then, a few months later, it happened again. I caulked and it stopped.

Today, it happened again. Guess I'm caulking again today.

I can't see any one place where it's happening, but it must be along those seams somewhere! I hate to see water under the pocket door (and into the bedroom side), but that's what happens. My plan is to only caulk a portion of it today and see if it stops. Got to narrow down the problem area.

Anyone have a similar issue? Ideas?

Mike, when you caulk you have to be certain the area is completely dry then you need to wait 24 hours after you caulk it to be sure the caulk Is dry.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, shower