Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 01:30 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
"First up will be an overview of the a/v system changes I made. Some have criticized the Sony sound system. I disagree, assuming it has been properly calibrated..."

Yes I have seen that also my 2003 Sony set up has served us well with a few modifications also. Item # 1 in QT's 1 & 2.
Would be appreciated anything you can add to the new sticky covering these subjects.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #16

Engel Family- you will certainly be traveling in style! The stainless really compliments the paint and coach nicely.
Many happy miles ahead no doubt.
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #17

Well this post is a very well written collection of information. I have been trying to read and understand the details of RVing for months on this site. It is like learning a new skill from the ground up. So your post has made me want to ask my own questions. I'm at least a year away from moving forward. I have collected lots of ideas over the last number of months. Your post solidified the factory delivery for someone who has never RV'd and wants to try to minimize the issues and gain experience quickly. More questions to follow. So thanks for giving so freely of your experiences. Looking for your audio/video experience.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum& irv2, Canuck53 spent many years traveling through Canada.
If you have been reading posts you know about the links below in my signature for info on Newmar's and sticker's at top of forums.
QT's # 3 has info for people on looking to purchase a Newmar by Newmar owners.
Wish you the best in your hunt for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #19

Thanks "007" I will have to review the links again but yes I have seen your helping hand many times over.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #20

Great write up Caputech. I was interested to read your comments because as you know I took delivery of the same model (4312) a month after you did. Overall our family with 3 children loves the floor plan. What a quiet, smooth riding coach compared to our 2012 Discovery! Now we know all the insulation that we saw them stuffing into every nook and cranny does make a difference in sound deadening. The kids are amazed at how quiet their rear bunk room is as we are traveling down the highway. In our last coach they could barely hear their iPods, iPads etc.

I too am considering changing my shower head to a low flow design in the 1.25gpm range. But here is my question, does anybody know what the gpm is for the stock shower head that comes standard on the 2015 DS? Is it a 2.5gpm model? Or could it already be a low flow design? I am asking because I really like the shower the way that it is. I don't want to change it if I do not have to. But we do a lot of dry camping and it's important to me that it is a low flow design.

I found a design problem with the vessel sink and faucet placement in the mid ship half bath. After I complained loud enough, Newmar agreed that it was a design flaw and they replaced the sink counter with new holes drilled for the faucet. Basically, when we first received our coach we noticed that anytime somebody washed their hands, water would gather behind the vessel sink. After further investigating we realized that the faucet was too far back and the water stream would barely make it into the lip of the bowl. Also the faucet is a bit too high and the hot/cold lever touches the light underneath the medicine cabinet. By moving the faucet forward they eliminated both problems although they could probably still use a faucet that is a inch or two shorter so it totally clears the light underneath the med cabinet. I was told that engineering was working on this change for future production.

I too love the LED lights under the awning. While my Coach was back at the factory for the bathroom sink repair I had them install a identical LED light strip on the driver side of the Coach. If I was ordering a new Coach I would definitely add this as a special. They charged me approx $1100. It would probably be less expensive during the build. Way too cool looking at night! I agree with Caputech, I do not like that there is only one Patio light switch that controls the patio light and awning light. I removed the bulb from the patio light because it took away from the overall appearance. There is a security light a little bit further back with a separate switch if there is need for additional light.

In hindsight, I would've saved the money on the height compensating steps. I've already had several problems. Thanks to many of you who have PM me regarding your nightmare stories. Its ironic, when I was at the factory 2 weeks ago, I met 2 couples that were there for problems with the steps. I would advise saving the $3,000+ and purchasing a $70 aluminum step for those occasional situations when you need a 3rd step.

If anybody has the answer on the shower head GPM, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
CapuTech,

Hi neighbor...just up the road in Friendswood.

Very beautiful coach and the write-up is a keeper for anyone considering a Dutch Star or any other Newmar coach.

If we purchase new the Dutch Star is at the top of our list. We know what general lay-out we want and the only thing we have to resolve is whether or not the Dutch Star has enough HP/torque for a fully loaded full-timing rig pulling either a heavier toad or a car hauler trailer with bikes, bbq, etc. out West in the Rockies and the Cascades.

Good luck with your beautiful purchase and thanks for taking the time to provide such an informative post!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSteinmetz View Post
CapuTech,

Hi neighbor...just up the road in Friendswood.

Very beautiful coach and the write-up is a keeper for anyone considering a Dutch Star or any other Newmar coach.

If we purchase new the Dutch Star is at the top of our list. We know what general lay-out we want and the only thing we have to resolve is whether or not the Dutch Star has enough HP/torque for a fully loaded full-timing rig pulling either a heavier toad or a car hauler trailer with bikes, bbq, etc. out West in the Rockies and the Cascades.

Good luck with your beautiful purchase and thanks for taking the time to provide such an informative post!

Thanks! Nice to hear from someone so close by! I can't really comment on the power as you need it. For us it's a lot more than our Berkshire had. We have a couple of different toads. One is about 4000lbs and the other is about 5000lbs. Neither present any issue at all, but a stacker is of course much heavier, especially in the mountains. It would not surprise me at all however if the engine gets upgraded in the next couple of years. Everyone wants more power, of course!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
It would not surprise me at all however if the engine gets upgraded in the next couple of years. Everyone wants more power, of course!
Now there's a rumor I would love to start!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
CapuTech --

Super write up that many have enjoyed reading. Thanks for taking the time and effort to update us on your experience.

Anxiously waiting to see more pics and especially further descriptions of your mods. Welcome to our Newmar group!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Deek! While we enjoy an entire week in the coach for Thanksgiving, I plan to update this thread with some further info on the entertainment system and also hopefully the internet setup we use.

We'll be at our favorite place in the Texas Hill Country. Can't wait!
Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
CapuTech

Thanks for the great write up. We pickup our coach the first week of December and your input will come in handy.
Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 11-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
It would not surprise me at all however if the engine gets upgraded in the next couple of years. Everyone wants more power, of course!
Yep, a 500 HP ISX would be nice! But it'll have to come to the MADP first before the DSDP's get it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
There is a security light a little bit further back with a separate switch if there is need for additional light.

In hindsight, I would've saved the money on the height compensating steps. I've already had several problems. Thanks to many of you who have PM me regarding your nightmare stories. Its ironic, when I was at the factory 2 weeks ago, I met 2 couples that were there for problems with the steps. I would advise saving the $3,000+ and purchasing a $70 aluminum step for those occasional situations when you need a 3rd step.

If anybody has the answer on the shower head GPM, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
When we ordered our 2002 DSDP we had four of the "scare lights" installed with switches in both the front overhead and bedroom, those are the ones I converted to 48 LED's and wow are they bright! Just wish they shown downward more rather than so much out.

I wondered about that self adjusting steps. A couple of the rigs we've looked at had them. I like the idea but not the cost! DW has trouble with steps and they would be better for her.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star