RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

2015 Dutch star generator slide

Friends bought a 2015 Dutch star 40' and he says that he can't find any way to slide the generator out. Could this be true? He has the upper hatch to check fluids, but swears there's no slide. We've got a 2003, which has a slide, and I've never seen one without it. Am I confused??

Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
To open front hatch it is under driver, first drivers side hatch. To pull out generator, once front hood is open, look to upper right and there should be a black lever to pull for genset slide out.

lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
To open front hatch it is under driver, first drivers side hatch. To pull out generator, once front hood is open, look to upper right and there should be a black lever to pull for genset slide out.
Yes. As, lakebuster said. To open the front hatch, one of us has to stand in front and push on the grill while the other pulls the handle in the basement compartment (first under driver). The lever to pull the genset is sort of hidden, as I recall, but is there.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #4

The 40 footer doesn't come with a slide, only the 43 foot ones do. At least that is what I have been told.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

If you pull your own maintenance and want to replace the belt on the generator you sure will wish the generator slid out. I think the newer coaches come with a different genny (maybe 8.0 Onan) than what I have but I had to remove the rear panel to get to the belt.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI, both my 2006 Itasca - Meridian 39K and my 2007 Winnebago - Journey 39K would not allow the genset to slide-out.
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:15 AM   #7
GKU

Ours is a 2016 4018...No Generator slide. Whats more the front Gen cover has is held up with a support bar when in the open and up position. Can't tell you how many times I have bumped my head.
GKU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless this has changed...
I believe the slide/no slide determination is based on the generator size.
If it is an 8k generator, there is no slide.
If it is a 10k generator, the front will slideout.

The 10k generators power three air conditioners on the roof of the 43 foot units. The 40 foot units have 2 ACs on the roof and get the 8k generator I believe.

It comes down to access to the generator. The 8k generators are serviceable from the front and from the bottom. The 10k generators are serviceable through a door on the side and require the generator to slide forward to access that door.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #9

Well, mystery solved. The slide is an option, and our friends(second owners) found out it wasn't chosen. It is the 10k, but has no slideout. When servicing, it all must be done from underneath!! The manhours to do that stuff are going to be very pricey. He's going to check with Newmar, to see if a slide can be retrofitted. Also big $$$$. Whew!

Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, generator, slide