Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

2015 Dutchstar potential purchase

Hi everyone,
We sold our 2011 Tour and just found a private seller with a 2015 Dutchstar 4366 which is very similar to the 4369.

I heard that Newmar had a few issues with this model and year and was looking for your opinions. We are going to look at it tomorrow, about a 6 hr drive and from the pictures it looks nice except for the master bedroom carpet which looks like it does not lay flat.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks is advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
We bought our 2015 Dutch Star 4018 new. We had all the issues of buying a new coach. The only thing I would look at is the fabric on all the furniture. This was an issue in 2015 Dutch Stars. You will not having any problem identifying an issue with the fabric should one exist. The vinyl is pulling away from the backing material.

Newmar addressed this straight away and replaced all the fabric in our coach.

Everything else was shack out issues. We have not had any long term issues after three years of travel.
Ok Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ok Red View Post
We bought our 2015 Dutch Star 4018 new. We had all the issues of buying a new coach. The only thing I would look at is the fabric on all the furniture. This was an issue in 2015 Dutch Stars. You will not having any problem identifying an issue with the fabric should one exist. The vinyl is pulling away from the backing material.

Newmar addressed this straight away and replaced all the fabric in our coach.

Everything else was shack out issues. We have not had any long term issues after three years of travel.
That's good to know, thanks
Old 04-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #4

2015 Dutch Star...trust, but verify!!

We bought our 2015 Dutch Star Model 4018 and have really enjoyed it!! Been across the US 3 times now and pushing 40k miles.
We had a few issues, including the fabric on the furniture as noted above. Newmar replaced all the furniture & recoved both front seats...very impressive.
The most concerning and annoying issue has been the slide motor mount bolts. (Search this post for the discovery and solution postings...saved my tail for sure!!)
We had one major failure on the kitchen slide found by monitoring this blog!! Further checking found virtually all the bolts for all the motor mounts were loose to some degree!! Headed back to Newmar late this summer to fix a continuing issue with the bedroom slide...cannot keep the bolts tight and now one has stripped & the slide is no longer square in the opening.
So, visually inspect all the slide motor mount bolts and ensure they have been given a good dose of Locktite and spec torque & ensure none have been stripped out...
Good luck!! Otherwise, its been a great coach...just finishing our 3rd 5-month "rainbird" trip...departing Moab tomorrow, arriving back in OR on Saturday...
Nagorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the furniture had the Ultra Leather for covering, may not have the fabric problem.
Info for any coach tsb's, recalls and fix's for problems can be found in this link for NEWMAR OWNERS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Lenny-shawna,
In general 2015 was a relatively trouble free year. Three minor recalls but no major issues. Our coach has been great. I have it for sale, but only because there’s a new unit coming soon. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a ‘15. -Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We had a 15 DS4369, a few recalls from freightliner (steering gear box ours did not need replacement, stronger spring on brake pedal and wire chaffing check on starting batteries) from Newmar we had tsb done where they changed out every led puck light. But a solid MH and all of these recalls etc. should have been completed. You can get the vin # and call Newmar to ensure all recalls completed. When you say carpet in bedroom, are you talking just on the FWS section or did they option entire bedroom carpeted?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

I own a 2015 Dutchstar model 4366 and have had very few issues with the coach. For the most part 2015 was a very good year for the Dutchstar. I have friends that have had issues with the upholstery fabric and Newmar has reupholstered their furniture. Make sure you examine the fabric in the coach you are considering. The only other issue I have experienced is the bedroom slide motor housing failing. Not much you can do about this. The metal housing on the motor broke loose from he brackets holding the motor in place. All the bolts holding the motor were tight.

I have installed many upgrades to my coach and would not trade it for a new Dutchstar. We have found the 4366 floorplan to be very livable. The master bathroom is larger than the 4369 and has a wider entry door. The other difference is the 1 sink vanity. However, this is not a problem for us. If you want the recliners shown in a 4369 this is an easy conversion.

Be sure to ask for service records. Depending on the mileage make sure the top crankcase filter has been changed at required intervals. This is an easily overlooked service item that can be critical.

If you have any specific questions about the 2015 Dutchstar model 4366 I would be happy to discuss my experiences.
2BU Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #9

Should be some 15 DS on Spartan chassis which would be a better chassis. Getting to the point were a some maintenance items like batteries, Oasis service, and air filter need to be done.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BU Bears View Post
I own a 2015 Dutchstar model 4366 and have had very few issues with the coach. For the most part 2015 was a very good year for the Dutchstar. I have friends that have had issues with the upholstery fabric and Newmar has reupholstered their furniture. Make sure you examine the fabric in the coach you are considering. The only other issue I have experienced is the bedroom slide motor housing failing. Not much you can do about this. The metal housing on the motor broke loose from he brackets holding the motor in place. All the bolts holding the motor were tight.

I have installed many upgrades to my coach and would not trade it for a new Dutchstar. We have found the 4366 floorplan to be very livable. The master bathroom is larger than the 4369 and has a wider entry door. The other difference is the 1 sink vanity. However, this is not a problem for us. If you want the recliners shown in a 4369 this is an easy conversion

Be sure to ask for service records. Depending on the mileage make sure the top crankcase filter has been changed at required intervals. This is an easily overlooked service item that can be critical.

If you have any specific questions about the 2015 Dutchstar model 4366 I would be happy to discuss my experiences.
Thanks for the reply and what kind of upgrades did you do as we completed the purchase?
Old 04-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Should be some 15 DS on Spartan chassis which would be a better chassis. Getting to the point were a some maintenance items like batteries, Oasis service, and air filter need to be done.
There are no 15 DS on Spartan chassis. 15 was a Freighliner only year.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Norm is correct that 2015 Dutchstars were only produced on Freightliner chassis. Also, the 2015 did not have the steerable tag. I prefer to have the fixed tag axle. It is a trade off between scuffing the tag tire or dealing with service issues relating to the steerable tag.

I will list some of the upgrades installed on my coach and you are welcome to contact me privately for additional information about any or all the upgrades.

HWH Active Air
Reverse Osmosis water system for entire coach (upgraded water pump).
Rear Access Door (same door as in 2016 models).
Silverleaf Glass Dash model 755.
Centramatic Wheel balancers (all 8 wheels).
Tyron Bands (front tires only).
See Level Model 709- tank monitoring system.
Summitt Products stainless steel (every where possible).
Upgraded radio with navigation, speakers and sub woofer.
LED lights under steps and ground effect lights under coach.
LED lights in kitchen pantry.
LED lights in wet bay area.
Tri Mark chrome entry door lock.
Tri Mark chrome basement compartment door locks.
Reconfigured peg board area to useful storage.
Other various small décor changes.

As you can see this is a fairly exhaustive list. Some might even call it "over kill". However, don't most of us apply the "over kill" concept to our adult toys.

I am looking forward to the 2018 HOOT's Rally because I always meet others that give me a new idea of how to modify (make better) my toy.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You added the 2nd door? Would love to see some photos showing how that was done.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had Newmar retro fit the rear access door. The exterior and interior looks like it was manufactured that way originally. Newmar did an excellent job matching paint and finishing the interior. Looks just like a 2016 model.

Newmar does not consider this as an official escape route since the door is not certified as the escape door. However, in the event of fire I believe it is going to be much easier for me to get my wife and dogs out this door than it would be to push them out the window in the bedroom.

Many of my modifications have been made to enhance safety and I put this one close to the top of the list.

Tags
purchase