Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #1

2015 Essex dinette table drive cable

We have a 2015 Essex 4553 with a powered table. There is a double drive system that raises and lowers and runs the table in and out. My issue is the drive cable is broken and removed by the dealer who did not replace it. (So much for trusting a dealer to do as they said the would. Desert Autoplex in Mesa AZ but that is a different subject.) So my problem is when I contact Newmar they tell me the part is no longer available and it has been discontinued. Their option is to sell us a new updated drive mechanism. So I am looking to see if others have had the same or similar issue and if there is an alternative part or a supplier for the original part. Just for reference this drive cable looked similar to a short speedometer cable.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
We have a 2015 Essex 4553 with a powered table. There is a double drive system that raises and lowers and runs the table in and out. My issue is the drive cable is broken and removed by the dealer who did not replace it. (So much for trusting a dealer to do as they said the would. Desert Autoplex in Mesa AZ but that is a different subject.) So my problem is when I contact Newmar they tell me the part is no longer available and it has been discontinued. Their option is to sell us a new updated drive mechanism. So I am looking to see if others have had the same or similar issue and if there is an alternative part or a supplier for the original part. Just for reference this drive cable looked similar to a short speedometer cable.

A friend of mine replaced that same cable prior to selling his 15' Essex. I will send him a message and inquire where he got the replacement cable. Won't have info until tonight.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #3

Good evening
I am the friend of EWLee who responded earlier. I had the same issue as he mentioned. I did a lot of research on this and Was told the same from Newmar. That cable is nothing more than a speedometer cable. I used a shop in CA to make me three. Unfortunately, I passed the info on when I sold the coach. I will tell you also, that is a power seat assembly that you can buy for about $350.00. I think the cables were less than $50 with shipping. So, find a speedometer shop and hopefully they can help you out. I actually taped the spares to the assembly so whom ever bought the coach would have the spares. I will look again and if I find any info will certainly pass it on. Also, Feel free to contact me if you would like to speak with me. Glad to help if I can. That is definitely a weak area for Newmar! You can thank my friend because I may not have seen this. Sold my Newmar New Aire in March.
brandon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon1957 View Post
Good evening
I am the friend of EWLee who responded earlier. I had the same issue as he mentioned. I did a lot of research on this and Was told the same from Newmar. That cable is nothing more than a speedometer cable. I used a shop in CA to make me three. Unfortunately, I passed the info on when I sold the coach. I will tell you also, that is a power seat assembly that you can buy for about $350.00. I think the cables were less than $50 with shipping. So, find a speedometer shop and hopefully they can help you out. I actually taped the spares to the assembly so whom ever bought the coach would have the spares. I will look again and if I find any info will certainly pass it on. Also, Feel free to contact me if you would like to speak with me. Glad to help if I can. That is definitely a weak area for Newmar! You can thank my friend because I may not have seen this. Sold my Newmar New Aire in March.
I really appreciate you and your friend taking the time to respond and him contacting message you. I guess they must of had to many problems with the design so the decided to discontinue it. Most companies supply parts for their products for ten years. I found that they did the same with the ceiling lights in my coach. I have a few starting to flicker so I ordered ten new ones, they failed to tell me that the replacements don't match my existing and that my old units are no longer available. I'm starting to regret my purchase of the Newmar. The replacement for the table is an $850.00 part from Newmar. My problem with the table is I do not have the old cable for a sample to show the Speedometer shop. I have a photo but not the cable, worst case I guess I could pull the mechanism out and take it to the shop for them to make the drive. I have a few speedometer shops here in St. Louis so I will check with them to se e if they are capable of making one. I guess you don't remember the manufacture of the power unit or what it was used in? I could not locate a name on it.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
A friend of mine replaced that same cable prior to selling his 15' Essex. I will send him a message and inquire where he got the replacement cable. Won't have info until tonight.
Ewlee I appreciate you sharing MY POST WITH YOUR FRIEND. I just responded to his post and I hope he sees it.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

I did come across Robert @ Villa furniture. 562 404 8111
I don't remember what info he gave me but he is very aware of the issue. Upon thinking about it I think I Googled the assembly number when I took it out and found the replacement in the $ 350 range. Try to make the repair in one shot because removing and reassembling is a pain. Ask me how I know!
All the best in repairing.
Brandon
Old 05-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #7

I came across an old email. Luxury RV parts, Tyler Ormsby, @574-318-2356 has new power tray replacement for $609.00.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #8

OK thank you, I will dig deeper into it first chance I get. I did talk with Villa but it wasn’t Robert, the person that emailed me said they didn’t supply it and I would need to go to Newmar. It may be a while before I can disassemble, I am taking it into Freightliner next week for a recall so not sure what that will entail. I will post my progress as soon as I dig into it. Thanks again for responding.

Tags
cable