Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

2015 London Aire not charging

My house batteries are not charging from the engine alternator. Charges from the shore power and front generator. Was told that I didn’t have the bird or the Bim system as everything runs through Silverleaf. The chassis is charging thei is powe to both sides of the solenoid. The dc screen on the monitor shows that the charger is in standby and will not go to on or off. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem. The coach has been in the shop for a month due to the fan going thru the radiator. They were charging the house batteries with a big charger Newmar says that there is a loose wire. Any ideas
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
The SilverLeaf needs to know the engine/alternator is running. There is a signal wire to tell it. My 2014 MA had an issue with it and the service center had to call production to find out where it was run during that time. A bad connector was found in a bay and was replaced. Until chassis batteries are charged up the house batteries will not get a charge but that should not be an issue since it charges from shore power. The old bird system needed the signal wire also and I seem to remember it was a fused 12v.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
The SilverLeaf needs to know the engine/alternator is running. There is a signal wire to tell it. My 2014 MA had an issue with it and the service center had to call production to find out where it was run during that time. A bad connector was found in a bay and was replaced. Until chassis batteries are charged up the house batteries will not get a charge but that should not be an issue since it charges from shore power. The old bird system needed the signal wire also and I seem to remember it was a fused 12v.
Now,I just noticed yesterday that in my 2017 MADP,that on the silver leaf panel,it shows the coach @ 13.4 as chassis @ 12.4....with the little lightning icon between them
Since yesterday they have stayed the same...normally fluctuate
Cut off shore power to wake up..nothing different
Started engine and showed a 13.8 rate
Charge and inverter on standby
Anyone have an idea?...Thank-.you..C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
My house batteries are not charging from the engine alternator.
Suggest you power cycle the TM102 Total Coach Controller. There is an output from the TM102 for the charge bridge controller. I think that output goes to a 12 volt relay KIB board near the TM102 where a relay is energized to power the Charge Bridge Solenoid when the TM102 decides conditions are right to close the bridge.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #5

I located the TM102. Unplugged three connectors two on bottom one on right side. Reconnected them tried that and recycled the battery disconnect doesn’t seem to help. The voltage needs to be below 12.5 before it should be activated. It read 12.3 therefore it should have worked
Old 08-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
I located the TM102. Unplugged three connectors two on bottom one on right side. Reconnected them tried that and recycled the battery disconnect doesn’t seem to help. The voltage needs to be below 12.5 before it should be activated. It read 12.3 therefore it should have worked
Does the Battery Boost switch activate the charge bridge solenoid? It should do the same thing as the TM102. Don't know how that switch is wired.

Also check the charge bridge solenoid. Should be able to locally jump it if it is working.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the info I will check on the boost switch and will check the charge bridge solenoid also I was checking the disconnect solenoid and finally seen the bridge solenoid. There was a 5 amp fuse but did a check on it as I checked all of the others no blown fuses. Printed off the prints from Newmar on my coach. I was told by a couple of techs that my inverter was working if the gen and shore power was charging the chassis batteries was told that it was probably the bridge solenoid or loose wire. I will check in the morning. Thanks for the help.i don’t need anymore frustration since the frame broke on the radiator fan. This will make the third frame. The first one cracked at 6000 miles but I seen a post about it and had it changed. The second one lasted till 19000 miles. It did a lot of damage. Freightliner stood behind most of all the cost.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the info I will check on the boost switch and will check the charge bridge solenoid also I was checking the disconnect solenoid and finally seen the bridge solenoid. There was a 5 amp fuse but did a check on it as I checked all of the others no blown fuses. Printed off the prints from Newmar on my coach. I was told by a couple of techs that my inverter was working if the gen and shore power was charging the chassis batteries was told that it was probably the bridge solenoid or loose wire. I will check in the morning. Thanks for the help.i don’t need anymore frustration since the frame broke on the radiator fan. This will make the third frame. The first one cracked at 6000 miles but I seen a post about it and had it changed. The second one lasted till 19000 miles. It did a lot of damage. Freightliner stood behind most of all the cost.
Yes, there is a fuse that protects the lead going from the KIB relay panel to the charge bridge solenoid. On my NA it is a 5 amp fuse labelled F10 "Isolation Manager. See image below.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

I tried the boost switch and jumped the charge bridge solenoid. And the screen still showed a drain on th batteries. Check the fuses with volt meter and checked for any loose wires couldn’t find anything. It charges all the other ways the only other thing is maybe the TM 102 I will search again for loose wires,connections but looks like time for a pro tech.
Thanks for all of the help
Old 08-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
I tried the boost switch and jumped the charge bridge solenoid. And the screen still showed a drain on th batteries. Check the fuses with volt meter and checked for any loose wires couldn’t find anything. It charges all the other ways the only other thing is maybe the TM 102 I will search again for loose wires,connections but looks like time for a pro tech.
Thanks for all of the help

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2901.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	526.3 KB
ID:	215591
Could these be the problem
Old 08-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #11

I will weigh in on this as I am having similar situation. Silver Leaf display showing coach batteries at 13.6, chassis batteries at 12.4, and lightning bolt displayed. I can tap the charge bridge solenoid and the chassis voltage will go to the 13.6 reading, thus tying the two battery banks together and charging both.

I have discovered that the TM102 module monitors the voltage of both battery banks. If the coach batteries are being charged from shore power and the chassis batteries are below 12.85, the TM102 sends a control voltage to close the charge bridge solenoid, thus charging the chassis batteries. Every 60 minutes, the charge bridge solenoid will open, the TM102 which monitors the chassis batteries decides if the chassis batteries are lower than 12.85. If lower, the solenoid will close for another 60 minutes, if higher then the solenoid will remain open.

I will change the charge bridge solenoid when I can have one sent. I have an older White Rogers solenoid I believe will work if I had too use it though prefer to get a direct replacement.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:16 AM   #12

Thanks for the info
My problem is the house batteries does not show charging on the engine alternator.
Newmar said that on the silverleaf that the house batteries needs to be below 12.5 to charge. With the shore power unplugged and the Onan gen not running and the engin running at a fast idle the silverleaf screen on the dc screen has a picture of the battery with blinking arrows going in the direction of the inverter. This tells me the power is going from the batteries to the inverter. At this time I can connect the two big terminals on the bridge solenoid and nothing is happening nO change I can’t get the arrows to reverse and go towards the battery from the inverter. Newmar is telling me if it charges from the shore power or the onan that my system is good. I really haven’t had it on a long trip since the radiator was worked on as stated the fan went thru the radiator on our last trip. I really don’t know if I have a problem. The chassis batteries are charging as normal. The lightning bolt does show on the silver screen. I have checked all the fuses that was in the compartment and looked for loose wires. I haven’t checked the batteries as they charge good with the other shore power and the onan. .there are two fuses or something in the battery box I don’t know what they do but still the batteries will charge the other way .
Does anyone have an idea or a wiring diagram. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the info
My problem is the house batteries does not show charging on the engine alternator.
Newmar said that on the silverleaf that the house batteries needs to be below 12.5 to charge. With the shore power unplugged and the Onan gen not running and the engin running at a fast idle the silverleaf screen on the dc screen has a picture of the battery with blinking arrows going in the direction of the inverter. This tells me the power is going from the batteries to the inverter. At this time I can connect the two big terminals on the bridge solenoid and nothing is happening nO change I can’t get the arrows to reverse and go towards the battery from the inverter. Newmar is telling me if it charges from the shore power or the onan that my system is good. I really haven’t had it on a long trip since the radiator was worked on as stated the fan went thru the radiator on our last trip. I really don’t know if I have a problem. The chassis batteries are charging as normal. The lightning bolt does show on the silver screen. I have checked all the fuses that was in the compartment and looked for loose wires. I haven’t checked the batteries as they charge good with the other shore power and the onan. .there are two fuses or something in the battery box I don’t know what they do but still the batteries will charge the other way .
Does anyone have an idea or a wiring diagram. Thanks for the help.

I suggest you start at the bridge solenoid and use a meter to check the voltages ... ignore the Silverleaf as a diagnostic tool. It would appear the Silverleaf "combiner" works (conceptually) like the Intellitec BIRD.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #14

Thanks I’m away from the coach until next week I will do it then. But you would think connecting the two big lugs at the top would be the same as when the solenoid was energized ,thanks

Tags
air, charging