RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #1

2015 Ventana purchase advice

Hi there...new to the Group and looking for advice. After a year of searching, my Wife and I have decided to purchase a Newmar Ventana for our retirement. We're going with the 2015 Ventana 3437 and would like to order it the way we want it. We live in Central California and have spoken to a few dealers nearby...we will give them an opportunity for pricing.
We're looking for advice/recommendations on Dealers that you've had good experiences with ordering your Coach. We're not opposed to traveling throughout the States to purchase...even picking up at Newmar itself.
Also, what I've gather from this Group...is that around 27% below MSRP is a good price.
Thank You!

rrg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club

You've come to the right place! Yes, it seems like 27% is the minimum discount. I have seen people get 32% for a brand new Newmar. I will be purchasing one next year, good luck!

Old 09-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rrg001,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. I've asked the moderators to move this thread to the Newmar Owners Forum. This is the Newmar Kountry Klub thread and focuses on items related to the owners' klub.

The bottom line on discounting is the world has changed. Newmar is producing 40 coaches a week. They are getting close to capacity (my view). In this environment there are two views:
1. Dealers have many customers and sell many coaches so the margin on each coach can be less.
2. Dealers have many customers and sell many coaches so they do not need to discount since if one customer does not buy another one will come along soon.

The process to sort out where the best deal is remains the same. Work with Newmar directly to spec out a coach. They will provide an order number. Bid the order number to the dealers you might want to buy from.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Agreed.

On the west coast, I had a good purchase experience with Guaranty in Eugene / Junction City, Oregon. Others speak highly of Tom Lindstrom in Moorpark, California.

If you purchase outside California, you will be charged California sales tax (well, "use tax", to be precise) when you register it with CA DMV. You will also need to take the coach to a DMV office for a physical inspection. (Not every DMV office does this.) I also needed to get my brand new gas coach smog tested (because CA DMV doesn't regulate out of state dealers)...don't know about a diesel.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidP View Post
Agreed.

On the west coast, I had a good purchase experience with Guaranty in Eugene / Junction City, Oregon. Others speak highly of Tom Lindstrom in Moorpark, California.
We've been trying to deal with Guaranty and thought we had a deal hammered out on a left over 2012 last year till the DW stopped it cold. Right now we're waiting for a 4375 they were supposed to get in a month ago. Not sure we'll be able to come together on a price with them as they seem to want to stay at 20% or less off.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #6

Look into Tom Lindstrom RV in Moorpark, Calif........He is a straight shooter and I had good luck with him......

I drove 700 miles to purchase from him and have not regretted it......
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1209 View Post
Look into Tom Lindstrom RV in Moorpark, Calif........He is a straight shooter and I had good luck with him......
My wife and I will be purchasing either a new Ventana 4037 or Dutch Star 4018 in about a year.

Fortunately, I live close by in Santa Clarita, made a trip there, and spent quite awhile speaking to one of the salesmen, which was Tom Lindstrom himself. Both of us had good vibes about this dealer, so I would highly recommend that you at least check it out.

Been researching to decide on a purchase for full-timing via irv2.com for a few years now. I have yet to see a negative review for Lindstrom RV yet.

Member "Dutch Star Don" may chime in on this thread too. He made his purchase there, is very knowledgeable, and will give you the straight scoop.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I live about a block from Tom Lindstrom RV and we bought our coach. I often stop into visit and he'll have me sit down and answer questions for prospective buyers. How many dealers would do that.

He usually has a couple of Ventana's in stock before he delivers them. He had two Dutch Stars last week and they're already gone. He told me he won't get anymore Dutch Stars until after the first of the year and he just ordered some. They're selling like hot cakes.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:15 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi rrg001,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. I've asked the moderators to move this thread to the Newmar Owners Forum. This is the Newmar Kountry Klub thread and focuses on items related to the owners' klub.

The bottom line on discounting is the world has changed. Newmar is producing 40 coaches a week. They are getting close to capacity (my view). In this environment there are two views:
1. Dealers have many customers and sell many coaches so the margin on each coach can be less.
2. Dealers have many customers and sell many coaches so they do not need to discount since if one customer does not buy another one will come along soon.

The process to sort out where the best deal is remains the same. Work with Newmar directly to spec out a coach. They will provide an order number. Bid the order number to the dealers you might want to buy from.
\

OR, Newmar sees a strong demand for its coaches and decides to increase the MSRP for everything. AND everyone bargains for a discount from the higher MSRP's. And maybe end up at the same percentage discounts as before. I can't imagine Newmar would let the dealers reap the profits from high demand and low supply. That's not how life works.

PLUS, why wouldn't Newmar increase its manufacturing capacity.

Both these scenarios are, I believe, normal Economics 101.
jjva343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jjva343,
The ability for Newmar to increase production is difficult. The area economy is booming. All buildings in the area are occupied by other businesses. "Hiring Now" signs (including Newmar) appear at all the RV manufacturers I saw. Expanding on the current campus, might be very difficult. All the buildings a stuffed with whatever needs to be done to support current production. Coaches are large and need to be transported, as they are built, on the campus. The only area not occupied by a building is used to transport coaches as they are built. The campus is about 60 acres. The surrounding properties are occupied by businesses that are also booming with business. To start a second shift requires skilled labor in all the disciplines required to build a Newmar coach. If the skill is not there, expansion is not possible.

Most importantly, Newmar just lived through the worst business downturn in the history of the RV industry. Newmar is a conservatively managed company. The RV business is very cyclical. Newmar builds only coaches it has sold. Newmar is very sensitive to any changes to incoming orders. Hiring and then laying off employees is not the most productive way to ensure high quality when the employee is working. Investing in capital expansion needs to be looked at very carefully.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
It sounds like you have done your homework and will move forward with the Ventana - a great value in a class A. I don't know what all your "wish list" holds for this new coach but if you add a lot of options to the Ventana, you may not want to cross off the possibility of the Dutch Star. It is the largest selling model for Newmar and will hold its value just a little better. Some things come standard in the Dutch and maybe it might be the way to go. I'm envious of your position and wish you well!
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know I'm probably in the minority, but in the current environment, proceed with caution when purchasing Newmar or with Tom Lindstrom. While Tom provides a great price, he is able to do that as he has no overhead. No shop, no repair facility, no nothing..........he does have a porta john on his lot for customers to use.
I say this not with any ill will towards Tom, he gave us a great deal, was extremely pleasant to deal with, but due to Newmars current QC problems (build rate too high and they are pushing coaches out the door too quickly IMO), I now see where Tom's set up isn't conducive for adequate RV sales, primarily not being capable of doing an adequate PDI (again this is IMO). At least in our case, many of our issues would have, should have, been caught by the dealer when doing a PDI (pre delivery inspection). Yes, as the buyer we should have exercised everything prior to driving off the lot, but seriously, who takes a whole day to do all that stuff when the dealer is telling you its a great product, and that they've tested everything. Regardless of where you purchase, my advice would be to get a copy of their PDI report.

In regards to Newmar Quality.......IMO its all marketing hype, just like any of the other mfg's...they all have it! I don't think Newmar is any better than any of the other Top 5 manufacturers. Their coaches look amazing, have alot of bling appeal, but all that doesn't mean much when the unit is in the shop for 80% of our ownership.

Over time, I hope our Newmar experience gets better, and our "problem phase" fades away, but at the moment, wouldn't recommend Newmar and wouldn't buy another one.
rmcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
rmcobb:
If you had join the forum before purchase you would have known many of the things you now find to your dislike and may have moved on to some other brand.
We have the PDI sheet you would have used and answers to many of your questions.
Not many dealers in your area to choose from for a Newmar coach other dealers may not have been your choice either.
Not knowing what your problems are right now can not help you but if you need help with some we may have the answers for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks 007, mostly true statements, but water under the bridge and all that. As we forge ahead, I'm sure the wealth of knowledge and experiences here on this forum will help, and hopefully I can be on the helping side of things as well.
Regarding your comment about the PDI sheet (which I have seen the example posted on this forum) I don't see its something us a customer would "use" but we should be asking (or the dealers should be providing us copies without us having to ask for it) of the report.
And as I said, I look forward to the days when I can enjoy my coach rather than looking at an empty driveway.

Let me just say Thanks to you, as I have seen in my short time here, you are a valuable asset to this community.

Randy

rmcobb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, advice, vent