Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #1

2016 4369 Roof Antenna Installation

I have a 2016 4369 DS on a FL Chassis- We are just starting our journey living in our RV full time and want to have the best internet system available.

I am looking at a system where I would need to install a new antenna on the roof and locate a router inside the coach somewhere with the availability of power. I am sure there are lots of people that have done this before and looking for input on the best recommendations.

Thanks so much for the help :-)....Cheers from Seattle, heading south soon !!!
flyingcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 05:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Recently installed a Pepwave MAX Transit and a Poynting antenna on our 18 Ventana. After lots of looking around the internet, reviewing the forums, talking over options with a great friend and frequent poster to this forum I decided to mount the router inside the electrical cabinet in the midship bath. Plenty of power options and a good central location on the coach. Additionally the current weBoost system, which was being removed, was located here. I utilized the existing hole in the roof right above this location to run the antenna wire to the router.

So far so good.
Dave.FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #3

Researched the mobile data issue over the last 18 months. Installed a Pepwave Puma 421 over driver seat. Ran wires through enlarged existing hole for house FM antenna into AV compartment. The short, 2 meter antenna cables were just long enough. 2 of the cell antenna leads go into my AT&T Nighthawk hotspot. The white tubing is just a branch guard. Works well, plenty of expansion available with a new antenna model. Hotspots or Routers will come & go. Suggest getting at least a 100gb data plan, do not get a pre-paid plan as they deprioritize you. Mobile Internet Affectionatos is a great resource to learn this tech data stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5791D2CF-8A29-4977-8884-557EF71FF792.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	347160  
Old 10-25-2021, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.FL View Post
Recently installed a Pepwave MAX Transit and a Poynting antenna on our 18 Ventana. After lots of looking around the internet, reviewing the forums, talking over options with a great friend and frequent poster to this forum I decided to mount the router inside the electrical cabinet in the midship bath. Plenty of power options and a good central location on the coach. Additionally the current weBoost system, which was being removed, was located here. I utilized the existing hole in the roof right above this location to run the antenna wire to the router.

So far so good.
That is where I also thought might be the best spot....glad you were able to confirm that for me :-) I will also purchase the Pepwave Max Transit Duo along with the Poynting Ant...seems like the best way to go if you want a good strong system...thanks for the input !!
Old 10-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #5

Drilling a roof Ant wiring Access hole...ugggg !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.FL View Post

So far so good.
Hi Dave- How did you decide to drill the roof access hole for your ant wiring in the mid bath cabinet in your RV....I will be doing the same thing and wondering where !!! oooopsss you need to turn that picture around in your mind...you know where the top is :-) If you have a picture of yours, that would be very helpful !!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8291.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	347399  
Old 10-28-2021, 09:33 AM   #6

That midship location looks good! My DS3736 has the 110v panel located there, no room for a router, pwr supply, etc…
Old 10-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcsutter View Post
That midship location looks good! My DS3736 has the 110v panel located there, no room for a router, pwr supply, etc…
Yes, plenty of room for the router and also access to DC and AC....my concern is drilling holes into the roof...there are lots of wires around there !!!
Old 10-28-2021, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcash View Post
Yes, plenty of room for the router and also access to DC and AC....my concern is drilling holes into the roof...there are lots of wires around there !!!

I have the same coach and chassis.
I installed a Peplink Max BR1 MK2 in the half bath cabinet along with a Panorama 5 in 1 antenna on the roof.
You can pull down the light fixtures in the ceiling close to the window and cabinet then use a long screw driver to push back the insulation enabling you to see up to the roof skin. There are a lot of wires in that area. Making sure there are no wire in the way.
Use a long 3/16 drill bit to drill a pilot hole thru the roof for the antenna cables.
From there I phished the antenna cables over in to the cabinet.
Over all I have been very pleased with how the setup performs. I use a grandfathered ATT Mobley unlimited SIM card for the data.
I have been in some areas that I had absolutely no cell signal on my phone but the external antenna and peplink had signal to use Wi-Fi calling and stream Netflix [emoji106]

Name:	IMG_6258.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	347478Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6261.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	347479
Old 10-29-2021, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtspence View Post
I have the same coach and chassis.
I installed a Peplink Max BR1 MK2 in the half bath cabinet along with a Panorama 5 in 1 antenna on the roof.
You can pull down the light fixtures in the ceiling close to the window and cabinet then use a long screw driver to push back the insulation enabling you to see up to the roof skin. There are a lot of wires in that area. Making sure there are no wire in the way.
Use a long 3/16 drill bit to drill a pilot hole thru the roof for the antenna cables.
From there I phished the antenna cables over in to the cabinet.
Over all I have been very pleased with how the setup performs. I use a grandfathered ATT Mobley unlimited SIM card for the data.
I have been in some areas that I had absolutely no cell signal on my phone but the external antenna and peplink had signal to use Wi-Fi calling and stream Netflix [emoji106]
Attachment 347478Attachment 347479
This is a big help....thanks so much for your input !!! I am installing a Max Transit Duo Pepwave and a Huskey Pro 7 in One Ant, it should work well.

Cheers, Curt

Tags
install, installation, roof