Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 12:03 AM   #1

Angry 2016 Bay Star- No voltage to charge pin at rear

Came back from our first 2,000 mile trip. Almost home and my toad has dead battery in Nevada. So no toad brakes the rest of the way home. I already saw the post on the seven blade connector. Called the Newmar dealer that I bought it from (400 miles away) and the mechanic said none of the Newmars have the charge wire connected. The local guy that installed my tow bar and brake controller could not believe that Nemar leaves that wire not connected. He's a little reluctant to hook up a wire on this new coach since there is no plug in harness. Worried about the new electrical systems and liability if he hooks up a wrong wire. I kinda understand his reluctance.
The local Newmar dealer gave me a $720 estimate to connect the battery charge wire. NO DAMN WAY! I can't believe that I am having this issue with a new rig. I'm too big to even get under the dash by the driver seat. This is my first motorhome.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #2

Check this source for a more reasonable price:

RV Service Reviews

Also Auto Electric shops. This ain't rocket science.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #3

On my Ventana The hot wire at the 7 pin connection is controlled by the ignition.

You can test this with a volt meter. Ignition in the off position, no voltage. On position should give you the 12 volts.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #4

There are a couple of recent threads on this.
There are two wires, black and orange in the wiring harness about a foot short of the 7 pin.
The same 2 wires are taped under the dash behind the steering column.
Connect one to the fuse block and the other end to pin 4 in the 7 pin.
Do a search on the forum for more info
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Just trying to learn something here. We pull a Jeep Wrangler and do not remember running charge wire to battery. All my light came with were wires for rear lights for running, turning and brake lights. I have a 6 pin on jeep and now not sure if I used 4 or 5 wires. As for brakes I tapped into MH air brakes and use mounted cylinder for braking. We have only pulled 6 hours and never had battery problems. Will check my7 way plug for power with meter this weekend.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

The need for a hot line to the toad is if you leave your ignition switch on. Some need it in this position because without it turned on the steering wheel locks and won't turn. I have found out that a lot of autos manuals are wrong as my 2013 wrangler tells to leave it on but I don't have to. Another is if they have a breaking system that uses electric to activate it. Hope this helps.
Steve Mosher
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #7

Seven blade connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Just trying to learn something here. We pull a Jeep Wrangler and do not remember running charge wire to battery. All my light came with were wires for rear lights for running, turning and brake lights. I have a 6 pin on jeep and now not sure if I used 4 or 5 wires. As for brakes I tapped into MH air brakes and use mounted cylinder for braking. We have only pulled 6 hours and never had battery problems. Will check my7 way plug for power with meter this weekend.
You would think that the would have the charge wire connected no matter what. Your going to use it for. For me to get under the dash I will have to take the drivers seat out. I'm a big guy. I haven't heard of any other manufacturer leaving the wire not connected. And leaving the harness short at the towing end and not connected? Just causes customers headaches.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #8

Black/orange wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
There are a couple of recent threads on this.
There are two wires, black and orange in the wiring harness about a foot short of the 7 pin.
The same 2 wires are taped under the dash behind the steering column.
Connect one to the fuse block and the other end to pin 4 in the 7 pin.
Do a search on the forum for more info
I assume if I can get under there, that the orange wire is the hot one. Why would they have a black wire, which I assume is a ground.?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #9

Here is the best link for info on connecting your Baystar 12 volt charge line
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/two-...ar-289313.html
Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
I assume if I can get under there, that the orange wire is the hot one. Why would they have a black wire, which I assume is a ground.?
You can use either wire...both are not connected to anything at either end. The #4 connector in the 7 pin is labelled black. I used the black. But it really does not matter. Just leave the one you don't use taped up at each end for some future purpose.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #11

To get more room I turned my chair backwards and then moved it toward the rear. It did increase the area to work in. In my bundle there was a wire marked igt. I would assume that was a hot wire from the igt when it is turned on. Just a guess.
Steve Mosher
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
To get more room I turned my chair backwards and then moved it toward the rear. It did increase the area to work in. In my bundle there was a wire marked igt. I would assume that was a hot wire from the igt when it is turned on. Just a guess.
Steve Mosher
The orange and black wires are taped together, connected to nothing under the dash. Mine were taped to the larger bundle marked trailer tow harness.

You connect one of the two to an empty fuse location in the fuse box about a foot away from where you find the wires....you need to add a jumper to reach the fuse box and a spade tip to connect. You also need to add a jumper about a foot long back at the 7 pin. When you put in a fuse the wire will be hot with the ignition on. You don't need to find any other wires for power supply.
Just be sure to connect both ends before you put the fuse in so you don't short the wire.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #13

Maddawg,

What kind of a towing setup do you have? What type of auxillary brake use. Had you not driven the Jeep in several days? What year Jeep is it?

I run my RVi2 brake off of a Diehard 12 volt port and use wireless tow lights so as to avoid this kind of problem. It is a little more fiddling at the start of a trip but no worries about killing the toad battery.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Orange positive, black to ground. Need both to ensure adequate sized ground to handle charge current.

2016 Canyon Star 3710
Wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote