Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #1

2016 DS Power Issues

Our outlets went out in the bedroom and half bath. The outlet in the bathroom cabinet has a reset switch but it won't click over and there is no indicator light lit up green or red on the outlet. Additionally the TV above dash and the internal vacuum system don't work.

We are plugged in at a park with full power.

We tried resetting each breaker.
We tried resetting the invertor (wasn't tripped so no reset).

We have limited electrical tools or experience and are isolating due to COVID so can't just run it up to our repair service center easily.

Thanks! Happy travels all.
Any suggestions?
dutchstargtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #2

Did you find two breakers on the inverter ?

Are yours lever type or push button ones ?

It just sounds like an inverter breaker has tripped.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does the refrigerator and the microwave work? If so it is probably not your inverter. I have a breaker for the bedroom/bathroom/basement. Turn the breaker off and on. Be sure that is not tripping and goes all the way to on. If it doesn't feel like the other breakers it is probably bad. If that is OK go to the receptacle in the bathroom. Try resetting it again. If it won't reset I would remove the cover and test it with one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-N...6944799&sr=8-7

If it is the type of ground fault receptacle that has a red and green light on it, if both lights are out there is either no power going to the outlet or the outlet is bad.

It is also possible that there is a ground fault receptacle in your basement that is out. Take a look for receptacles down there and try to reset them.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Did you find two breakers on the inverter ?

Are yours lever type or push button ones ?

It just sounds like an inverter breaker has tripped.

GFCI; won't reset , if it has no power supply.

The circuit breakers on the inverter are often down the side and small enough to be overlooked.
Push button on the breaker is about 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #5

Check the GFCI outlet above the kitchen counter top too
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:43 PM   #6

Interestingly enough that one has the green light on and seems okay. I will hit reset on it and see if it helps anything.

The invertor was not tripped and thus could not be reset. Pressing the button does nothing as it is not popped out. Was fun climbing in the basement to try though!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:49 PM   #7

I hit reset on the one in the kitchen. That one is fine. Still no light on the one in the bathroom though.

Waiting on a pen tester to arrive to test wires next. That is what out service provider suggested.

Glad most of the coach has power! Would like to fix this issue soon though.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #8

I've helped replace a bad circuit breaker in an inverter , so once you've got the tester don't be surprised if it leads you back there.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #9

Wow. What was that process like?
Old 12-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #10

A little awkward and time consuming .

Only myself to blame for the awkward ; I didn't realize the inverter ( mounted to the floor of the coach in the basement in a Holiday Rambler ) was on a slide mount with screws locking it in place .
I did the replacement with the inverter in place while laying on my back , and I could have dropped the inverter ( without disconnecting the cables , batteries disconnected and shore power off ) and set it on a box in the basement and sat outside while doing the replacement.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #11

Try Changing the GFCI that doesn't reset. I have 5 GFCI,s in my coach do all the others have the green light on?
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:08 AM   #12

I used a current detector pen to see if the gfci outlet in the bathroom cubboard was getting power. Then I could just replace the gfci and be good to go. The outlet does not seem to be getting power though.

Now I am at a loss what to do next. Am waiting to hear back from one of our service guys so he can try and walk/txt me through what to look for.

We have adjusted, but it would be nice to get it all working right.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:22 PM   #13

There is an access plate on the side of the the inverter , for replacing the circuit breakers .
You can pull the plate , and using the pen , see if the circuit breakers are passing power , before I replaced the circuit breaker , on the HR inverter , the owner had bypassed it , on instructions from the manufacturers help line.

Green arrow is the access plate.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2021, 01:07 PM   #14

Before you go replacing inverters or outlets do some more looking. If the GFI outlet will not reset then it has no power. Somewhere upstream there is another GFI outlet that is tripped. Look under the full bath sink, look inside the medicine cabinet in the half bath, look under the sink in the half bath, look in the electrical panel cabinet. Newmar puts these things in crazy places. If you have a panel beside the toilet in the half bath it will pull off and I have seen a GFI inside.

Tags
power