Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

2016 Dutch Star

Hi everyone,

We are, unfortunately, Class A pre-newbies.

Our plan was to retire, sell our house in CA, move to AZ, get our 2015 DSDP 4313 ordered ASAP, and go exploring.

We are within a few weeks of executing steps 2 and 3 only to find out (from this forum) that it is too late to order the RV.

I have sent a request to the factory to find out when the 2016 floorplans/order sheets will be available; no answer yet...

I have been reading the posts here and have already learned of a few options/customizations that one should request. I do have a couple of questions..

Questions
1. If we were to schedule a trip to the factory and work up a build sheet; what happens next? Does the factory circulate to build sheet to all the dealers and let them bid on the sale?

2. Any ideas on what a fair discount from MSRP would be? I've been told 20-30% is not unusual.

3. It seems quite a few owners highly recommend picking up your RV at the factory. This is about a $3K option. One local dealer charges about $3500 for dealer prep/shipping. If this dealer prep charge is dropped when you pick the unit up at the factory, it seems like a no brainer to have people who only sell one line of RV take you through all the operational features and can get anything that was wrong fixed right away. Has this been your experience?

4. My wife demands an oven and prefers a gas range. I've never even seen a picture of a gas range in a Newmar. Is it even available? They mention a 3 burner range, but never state what the energy source is.

5. I'm interested in the all electric option (if I can get an oven). We live in a very sunny place, so once I get the solar panels added, I'm wondering if this configuration is sustainable without the Onan kicking on all the time. We like to camp on BLM land where there are no hook-ups, so if the solar isn't reasonably sufficient... What is your experience?

6. My wife really likes the idea of the in-floor heating. Is this only necessary if you are camping in Montana in January?

We appreciate the benefit of your experience. We really don't want to spend a lot of money on options we never use, or worse, skimp on something we will wish we had as soon as we get the coach.

Thanks, Kneezer/PrescottKim
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dealer prep and shipping is paid by Newmar, or at least in the past it was.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
1. No, that's up to you. You tell the dealers the build number that you worked on with Newmar, and they'll get the pricing info. Newmar won't contact dealers for you.

2. Depends on the model and dealer, but that's the ballpark.

3. The dealer might or might not credit the total amount for prep/shipping. The extra was certainly worth it to us, but maybe not for everyone. Many people can't afford the time to go there and pick it up.

4. Some of the lower price range models had the combo range (cooktop and oven). I think by Atwood. Higher models have a combo microwave/convection oven, which works quite well as an oven, once you get used to convection cooking. The highest models have an Avantium oven, which is a microwave/convection on steroids. So gas is certainly possible, except maybe with the highest models which might only available as "all electric".

My personal experience, after buying a unit that was all-electric except for the cooktop, is that Induction is just better than gas. We had our entire propane system removed and an induction cooktop installed. Much better and I gained a huge storage compartment as well.

IMO, a microwave/convection unit qualifies as an oven just fine. Your wife might not agree.

5. If you have a lot of batteries, then sure you can do that. The oven and cooktop will take a lot of you power, so be careful. Using both at the same time on the inverter isn't going to work - just too many amps.

6. No, it's great anytime the outside temp gets down to even 60 or so at night. We only use the bathroom zone unless we're actively trying to heat the coach. But we use the bathroom zone all the time. The floor heat is silent, unlike the furnace or even the heat pumps.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

X2 on FlyingDivers comments!!

The induction inside is supposed to work well, and when combined with a small Infra-red propane grill outside, we do pretty well. The convection microwave works fine but we're old school and would prefer an oven like we've had in previous units. IMHO I wouldn't worry about the Onan running, it won't run that much, won't make much noise, and won't use a lot of fuel. You own the generator so use it, 3000 hours is no big deal on these generators and most folks won't even come close to that. The in floor heating is a real treat for sure!!

Good luck!! you're going to really enjoy your new coach
Old 04-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Your getting some good answers to your questions all I can add in this info for dealing with Newmar.
As far as floor you can call and see which ones for 2016 will be carried over from 2015 to compare and if there are any added for 2016.
They had major changes in 2015 may not be as many for 2016.
Good luck in your quest.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I had to reschedule my appointment in April for a 2015 Dutch Star build out when I was told that no more chassis were available. So I now have an appointment for May 19 with Michelle Howard. This was the soonest she was available to discuss 2016 models and pricing. I will give a full report on any new options and floor models that that I learn about.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #7

Great inputs. We are actively challenging our biases. We will read some more threads for ideas and then ask some more pointed questions. Will look forward to FRasco's info on the 2016s. I'm thinking of just getting an appt with Michelle in Nappanee for early June. By the time we could meet we would have a few weeks to digest the 2016 info.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We want a 2016 CS 3914...
New floor plan in 2015 so guessing Newmar will have it in 2016...
Wonder when Newmar will update their their website?

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Not until after the dealer meeting when they intro the '16 models to the dealers. I haven't been able to find anything on when/where that will be.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Michelle told me the dealer meeting will be the first week of May, then the following week the edit videos and brochures so all that info will be available the second week of May at the end of that week
Old 05-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Smile TomLindstromRV

Do yourself a favor and call TomLindstromRV in Moorpark, CA. Check out the YELP comments. He's the most honest, helpful dealer out there. Small dealer.....keeps expenses low...and passes on savings to customers. We bought a 2015 3736 Dutch Star from Tom......excellent!
Old 05-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #12

FWIW Also do yourself another favor and give your wife the kitchen *she* wants unless you plan on doing all the cooking.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
kitchen

I do all the cooking, and I LOVE the kitchen.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwalker View Post
We bought a 2015 3736 Dutch Star from Tom......excellent!
X2 on Tom, we pick up our Bay Star from him in 5 weeks. I'm excited.

webwalker, welcome to the forum! I hope you post more about your 3736. I think that's our next coach
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star