RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #1

2016 Dutch Star 4369 air brakes

Does anyone know how to drain the air brakes on a Freightliner or are they auto drain.

judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I think that pop off you hear when you first air up and that continues every so often is an auto purge.

BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
I think that pop off you hear when you first air up and that continues every so often is an auto purge.
Thanks. I hope you're right. I can't seem to locate any information in the manual or online.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
The "pop off" noise is probably the compressor "unloading" when it reaches the max governed pressure. There is a moisture separator in the system that requires periodic replacement of a cartridge but there should also be three lanyards behind your steer tires (two on one side, one on the other) that should be pulled to bleed any moisture. If I remember correctly, our 2012 DS requires lanyard bleed once every six months. I've never seen any moisture ejected when I've pulled ours.
Chassis is serviced annually at FCCC Gaffney.
dc3carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
Thanks. I hope you're right. I can't seem to locate any information in the manual or online.

Are you looking in the chassis manual or coach manual?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks DC3Carl, I was never told that at the factory, but I'll check into it now.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc3carl View Post
Are you looking in the chassis manual or coach manual?
Chassis.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Thanks DC3Carl, I was never told that at the factory, but I'll check into it now.

Are you on a Freightliner chassis?
Been to Camp Freightliner? We highly recommend it!
Happy travels!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
Chassis.

Chassis maintenance manual describes air brake system maintenance in section 42 (I think). Maintenance interval sheets in the front describe draining the tanks (I think on yearly or six month interval) but I don't remember there being a diagram of components such as lanyards in that manual. I seem to recall discussion in one of the workshops that Freightliner doesn't try to identify lanyard locations since the body builders choose the location.
If you can get under the front of your coach, locate the two air tanks and identify the drain valves, you'll see the lanyards and can identify where they terminate in the wheel wells.
Easier to reach them if your steer wheels are turned and I use my awning bar to pull them.
Happy travels!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #10

Thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #11

Air tank lanyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc3carl View Post
The "pop off" noise is probably the compressor "unloading" when it reaches the max governed pressure. There is a moisture separator in the system that requires periodic replacement of a cartridge but there should also be three lanyards behind your steer tires (two on one side, one on the other) that should be pulled to bleed any moisture. If I remember correctly, our 2012 DS requires lanyard bleed once every six months. I've never seen any moisture ejected when I've pulled ours.
Chassis is serviced annually at FCCC Gaffney.
OK DC3carl, you are correct. Found the lanyards and pulled them. Now the problem is one of them will not shut off and the system will not air up all the way.The valve is hanging up and needs to be replaced. It never ends with these units.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Pull the lanyard with a couple good jerks .. If that doesn't work crawl under and try to re center the valve on the tank and push and it back and forth. Jiggle it.
The procedure is to check for moisture .. It seems every 6 months, as you have a air dryer. If you get moisture a immediate replacement on the dryer cartridge is needed. You will never have moisture if the dryer is working .
In the old days of trucking with no air dryer you pulled the lanyard on daily pre trip to drain any water off . And in fact it was still part of my pre trip when I quit last year . Old habits die hard. Since it's not used daily by the rving public it can "stick" in the open position.as described it's easy most times to unstick.i never had a valve I had to replace .. Quess it's possible.

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, dutch star, air