RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

2016 Dutchstar Dust machine

Finally after 4 months on the road and untold numbers of RV Parks I have obliterated with dust from my side radiator fan I called Newmar to see what the deal with this thing was considering no other brand with a side mount fan seems to have the same problem. Yes I turn off my dash a/c 10 minutes before I get to the park.
So I am told this is not Newmar’s problem it is Freightliner’s problem call them.
Funny I thought I bought a Newmar but I must be mistaken. All I know is that when I pass a family cooking lunch outside and I cover them and their food with road dust
They don’t say there goes a freightliner they say "there goes another damn Dutchstar".

Anyway I called Freightliner and they told me they have a “Service Solution” not a recall. Even though they have redesigned the new chassis so you don’t have the dust problem. So I have to pay to buy a “solution” to a problem that isn’t bad enough for a recall just bad enough to redesign the chassis to eliminate the problem that isn’t a problem .

So I called my local Freightliner for a price to install the Dust Shield solution. First quote 1,200.00 and change. 600.00+ for parts and 600.00 labor. Hmmm. Seemed like a lot so I called Gaffney service for a quote, 900.00, 600.00 parts and a couple hours labor. Well it is 520 miles each way so lets see if we can get the 900.00 price locally.

I called Orlando Freightliner an Oasis dealer. Talked to a service writter. He said he would work it up and get back to me. 4 days later I called him back and he hadn’t gotten the labor number together yet but the parts were 1,200.00.

So I called Newmar and told them I am getting prices all over the place for the same “solution” that should be a recall. I am embarrassed to even pull in a park with a dirt road anymore.

Newmar listened patiently and the said “Lets get Freightliner on the phone”. After 15 minutes on the phone with Freightliner the gist of the conversation was this.
It isn’t a recall because we said it isn’t. If it was a recall the dealer gets paid a fee set
by Freightliner to do the recall item. A service solution has no price or even guidance as to how long the work should take and there is also no limit to what the dealer can charge for the parts.

So Freightliner and Newmar screwed this up and we are being fed like lambs to the wolves to pay for it after paying 300k for the privilege.

I accepted the fact that I was going to have to pay for this but what I can’t accept is
Freightliner and Newmar allowing us to be overcharged for their mistake. We are used to being over charged by Freightliner dealers all the time but this is different.
It just isn’t fair and that is really all I am asking for is to be treated fairly.

jedgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you seen this thread? A bunch of folks made their own:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/frei...rm-314640.html

Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a well known and long known Freightliner issue. My 2012 Dutch Star and now 2016 Dutch Star had this issue. The good news is now there is a fix without making your own shield, but it does cost money.

Recalls are focused on safety related issues. Freightliner has long known about the "dust storm" and views it as a nuisance issue. In 2012 I demonstrated the effect to a couple Freightliner engineers in Gaffney. I am surprised with the all often complaint raised by mechanical-drive side radiator XC chassis owners, the dust shield or a redesigned fan shroud have not become the standard. Now that I have seen and driven the Spartan chassis based coach (K2 and K3) I noticed significantly less cooling fan "blow-by" on the Spartan chassis.

Also remember the RV industry standard, similar in many ways to buses, boats and aviation, and dissimilar to automobiles (with exception of tire and batteries) is your warranty is with the component manufacturer and not the RV manufacturer. This is why your motorhome came with a Freightliner label behind the seat and separate warranty paperwork. I don't see many RV dealers capable of working on a diesel chassis and at the same time, I wouldn't want most chassis shops working on the wood trim in my coach. Clearly an imperfect world, but easier once you understand the demarcation.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #4

Don't have this issue on the Ventana
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just had the dust shield done at Orlando Freightliner. Labor was $532.97 & parts were $703.05. Pretty ridiculous for something that is their design flaw but like you I got tired of creating dust storms!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
This is a well known and long known Freightliner issue. My 2012 Dutch Star and now 2016 Dutch Star had this issue.........
Mike

Older than most think.... My '02 throws a thick cloud as well, when the fan is on. Not often.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I had the Freightliner dust shield installed on our 2016 DS. Guess what?! I still had a dust cloud blowing out the passenger side of the coach. I ended up adding an upward shield to finally deflect the radiator air flow and I'm finally dust free.

My advice: Forget the Freightliner solution and go with a home made solution instead.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
Just had the dust shield done at Orlando Freightliner. Labor was $532.97 & parts were $703.05. Pretty ridiculous for something that is their design flaw but like you I got tired of creating dust storms!
How is it working for you?
jedgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The deflector can be made with a few hand tools and materials from Home Depot. I made mine for free from materials I had around my garage.

If you can assemble furniture from Ikea together, you can make your own. Heck, you can buy the hand tools and materials for under $150.00. Materials......Two pieces of flat stock steel 1" x 1/8" by about 15", four nuts and bolts, one piece of aluminum sheet about 18" x 30".

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote