Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkling View Post
I looked at a North Trails model and my salesman got the official weight report from Newmar. They weigh them with about 30 gals of fuel.

Here is what I looked at before, adjusting for the "new" 14,700 front axle limit:

Was able to get the Newmar post production weight report on a 2016 Ventana 4369:

Here is what it says:
Scale Weight : 36,250
Dry Weight: 36,015 (delta of 235 lbs, say 30 gal of fuel)
Front Axle:12,810 [14,700] {87.1% of limit}
Drive Axle: 15,650 [20,000] {78.25% of limit}
Tag Axle: 7,790 [10,000] {77.2% of limit}
UVW: 36,715 (with calculated full tank) [44,700] {82% of limit}

So on face value the NCC is 7,985 for people and stuff.

So the concern is still the front axle as most limiting as here is what my thinking is:

Take the Scale weight on front axle 12,810 and add in what the loading would be with a full fuel load (since the scale weight is assumed with 30 Gals of fuel (difference between scale and dry weight) which is another 490 pounds (70 gals * 7) gives you a fron axle loading of 13,300 assuming all of the fuel weight is on the front axle. add two folks at say 400 pounds all at the front axle, and now I am at 13,700 without adding any stuff, which is now 93%.

You have about 1000# of loading available without any stuff in the coach other than fuel and two people in the front seats. I still don't think you have enough to get anywhere close to the CCC, fill up the refer, put dishes in the cabinets and then think about how close to the front axle is the basement open space....

With older year models, folks seem to be able fill up the coach with normal stuff, full fuel, full water and still have up to a 1000# on the front axle, allowing them to take passengers. For the 2016, if you add two people, some stuff and I feel your at the limit...

This is why I decided to not get a 2016 Newmar , but you may have different needs and feel the 1000# is enough for what you want to do.

The dealer can call the factory and get the weight report for you.
Add about 500 or so for water.

Getting close to having to get any family or friends to lick their lips and stick them on the back bumper if you want to take them along!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #30

Lee L,

I looked at the 2014 brochure and the UVW for a Ventana 4369 is 33,500 lbs, so you "only" added 2,880 lbs of stuff (including water). Newmar defines UVW as the Unloaded Vehicle Weight with full fuel, engine oil, and coolants. It does not include cargo, water, or any options.

I would be nice to know the Front Axle weight coming out of the factory, but hopefully someone else will have it. Of course, it will vary depending on options. For example, an all electric coach will have a bunch on batteries up front instead of an LP tank, 2 or 3 AC units, types of couches, chairs, TVs, etc.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
Lee L,

I looked at the 2014 brochure and the UVW for a Ventana 4369 is 33,500 lbs, so you "only" added 2,880 lbs of stuff (including water). Newmar defines UVW as the Unloaded Vehicle Weight with full fuel, engine oil, and coolants. It does not include cargo, water, or any options.

I would be nice to know the Front Axle weight coming out of the factory, but hopefully someone else will have it. Of course, it will vary depending on options. For example, an all electric coach will have a bunch on batteries up front instead of an LP tank, 2 or 3 AC units, types of couches, chairs, TVs, etc.
We have the residential fridge, so 6 batteries just behind the propane tank, which stays mostly full ... the stove uses very little propane Three A/C units and we have the passenger side jackknife sofa rather than the bar and bar stools. If we had done a factory delivery, I would have insisted on corner weights at the time.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
We have the residential fridge, so 6 batteries just behind the propane tank, which stays mostly full ... the stove uses very little propane Three A/C units and we have the passenger side jackknife sofa rather than the bar and bar stools. If we had done a factory delivery, I would have insisted on corner weights at the time.
You can call Newmar and get the production weight report for your VIN, they weigh each coach and have them on file. All you have to do is ask.
jmkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #33

Obtaining Factory weights from Newmar

We are in the market for a Ventana 4369 and have been following the front axle weight issue closely.

This week, we sent several unit numbers to Newmar customer service and asked them to send us the factory weight report. This report includes a lot of information, including axle weights for Tag, Drive, and Steer, plus corner weights. All you need is the unit number or the VIN and send it to customer service (or call them). Their e-mail is CustomerService@newmarcorp.com.

If any readers get their factory weight (or have it already) and have their loaded weight, I would be very interested in knowing those numbers, especially the front axle weights. It would also be helpful to know what is included in your current weight (# of people, pets, fuel, water, amount of personal gear (are you a full-timer, weekender, tailgater, etc.).

You can post them here for all to see or send them to be via private message. Thank you for all your help and consideration.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
We are in the market for a Ventana 4369 and have been following the front axle weight issue closely.

This week, we sent several unit numbers to Newmar customer service and asked them to send us the factory weight report. This report includes a lot of information, including axle weights for Tag, Drive, and Steer, plus corner weights. All you need is the unit number or the VIN and send it to customer service (or call them). Their e-mail is CustomerService@newmarcorp.com.

If any readers get their factory weight (or have it already) and have their loaded weight, I would be very interested in knowing those numbers, especially the front axle weights. It would also be helpful to know what is included in your current weight (# of people, pets, fuel, water, amount of personal gear (are you a full-timer, weekender, tailgater, etc.).

You can post them here for all to see or send them to be via private message. Thank you for all your help and consideration.

You can do some simple math to figure out what you would see, the coach was weighed at the factory with about 30 gal of fuel. Add 70 gal @ 7 lbs say 500 lbs, add in you and a passenger weight, and you know an empty coach weight. Since the kitchen is mid point, it most likely goes 50/50 and storage compartment are mostly in front, most will be on the front axle. After this simple exercise I walked away from both DS and VT 4369 models. Not enough margin available and the company response has been lacking in my opinion. They need to redesign the location of stuff like house batteries and get some of the heavy stuff shifted aft. I would recommend waiting to 2017 or look at other manufactures....
Old 12-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #35

woodosgood

I took delivery of a 2016 Ventana 4369 two weeks ago. Unfortunately we were heading to Florida the next day so I did not have time to weigh it. At my business I have portable scales like the DOT officers use so I will be able to get weights on all axles and also move things around to adjust. I just need to find the time to get it done now that I am back home. I am hoping to get it done this weekend and will replay with the weights. I can say that in the 2,200 miles I put on it,that it did not feel heavy in the front and the tires did not appear overloaded. I would not consider myself an expert on this but from my experense of having owned a fleet of trucks for the last 20 years I do have a feel for things like this.
dandeedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #36

I finally got time to weigh the front axle on my Ventana 4369 with portable weight scales.

We just returned from a 10 day trip so the coach is loaded with all kitchen and living items we usually carry. The refrigerator is empty but sits right in front of the drive wheels so most weight would transfer to the drives. No clothing but that is kept in back behind tag so all would go to the tag or drives.
The basement has most of what I normally carry. After reading about the axle issue I did load the heavier items to the back of the basement. I usually carry things like the webber grill in the front compartment. I had chairs, tables, rugs, a 10 x 10 EZ-up, cases of water, extra power cord, water hoses etc in basement.

With Full fuel and meter at 1/3 water, 1/3 Grey and no Black tank.

Driver 6,520 lbs. Pass 6,470 lbs. Total 12,990 lbs.

With Full fuel, Full Water(I ran it over the tank full, 75 additional gals?) 1/3 Grey and no Black

Driver 6,640 lbs. Pass 6,590 lbs. Total 13,230 lbs.

All the above with DW and I aboard.

Driver Pass Total 13,640 lbs.
(DW did not think I should break this one down and after 31 years I want to to make it to at least 32 years.)

Front axle rating 14,700 lbs. I do travel with two 20-something daughters a lot of the time. Even with them on board sitting on the couches I still have additional room for what I need.

I was not able to weight the drives and tag as I was on concrete in my shop and the drives kept kicking the scales out. I will have to wait till I can go out on the blacktop to do this.

Dave
Old 12-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #37
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeedave View Post
I finally got time to weigh the front axle on my Ventana 4369 with portable weight scales.

We just returned from a 10 day trip so the coach is loaded with all kitchen and living items we usually carry. The refrigerator is empty but sits right in front of the drive wheels so most weight would transfer to the drives. No clothing but that is kept in back behind tag so all would go to the tag or drives.
The basement has most of what I normally carry. After reading about the axle issue I did load the heavier items to the back of the basement. I usually carry things like the webber grill in the front compartment. I had chairs, tables, rugs, a 10 x 10 EZ-up, cases of water, extra power cord, water hoses etc in basement.

With Full fuel and meter at 1/3 water, 1/3 Grey and no Black tank.

Driver 6,520 lbs. Pass 6,470 lbs. Total 12,990 lbs.

With Full fuel, Full Water(I ran it over the tank full, 75 additional gals?) 1/3 Grey and no Black

Driver 6,640 lbs. Pass 6,590 lbs. Total 13,230 lbs.

All the above with DW and I aboard.

Driver Pass Total 13,640 lbs.
(DW did not think I should break this one down and after 31 years I want to to make it to at least 32 years.)

Front axle rating 14,700 lbs. I do travel with two 20-something daughters a lot of the time. Even with them on board sitting on the couches I still have additional room for what I need.

I was not able to weight the drives and tag as I was on concrete in my shop and the drives kept kicking the scales out. I will have to wait till I can go out on the blacktop to do this.

Dave
Those numbers look great. You might think that should end any concerns about the 2016 Ventana 4369's front end CCC.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Those numbers look great. You might think that should end any concerns about the 2016 Ventana 4369's front end CCC.

A factory weight report with no water, no people, little fuel (30 Gal) was Front Axle:12,810

User with full fuel, 1/3 water, two people was 12,990

So either that particular model 4369 was 1,000 lbs lighter loading on the front axle when built or there was something amiss with the scale weight.

No sure I would put the issue to bed, I have seen more than one weight report from the factory that says the 4369 typical production while dry with minimal fuel was in the 12,800 range...add fuel and two people it should be in the 13,800 range....

I would recommend the user get his actual weight report from Newmar to see what it weighted dry when built........

But folks can make any decision they are comfortable with....
Old 12-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #39

Common sense

No worries as everyone is entitled to their opinion. When I get time i will redo the weighing and do it with several different scales as I have 16 of them to use and check against each other. I think they should be fairly accurate as they are sent back every year for maintenance. I can only report what I saw and I am personally satisfied with what I saw. I really what to weigh the whole coach sometime so I will check things out when I do that.
I have spent a lot of time on this forum reading and learning many things. I do not respond many times as I feel other are more qualified in many of these areas. But I have read every remark on this subject finding some well thought out and other not so much.
My profession is an upper level sales manger that works with a few hundred dealers and thousands of end user customers so I have heard many similar comments that this forum has made in person. I have learned to deal with these and do not let peoples emotions get to me before I can gather all the facts. I also took over my fathers small trucking business of a dozen local and regional delivery trucks that I manage on the side. As I said in a earlier post I do not consider myself an expert in this area but I work with people that I think are. I have talked to many of my trucking suppliers asking them questions that pertained to this weigh issue and again the answers I got from them satisfied me.

Sorry for being so long. I will repost the results if they are any different when I weigh again, this will probably not be till spring unless the weather is decent in February. January allows me no free time and the coach is tucked away enjoying its heated garage. Untill then I will be planning my next years excursions.

Dave
Old 12-29-2015, 07:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post

Since some folks think I have just an opinion, here is the weight report from Newmar that showed post production VT 4369 where the front axle was at 12,810 pounds. This is with a coach with just a few hundred pounds of fuel (difference between scale weight and dry weight). Since I have now decided to purchase SOB, I'll stop worrying about what I consider to be the poor engineering judgement and lackluster corporate response to this issue. I was hoping to spare folks from making a several hundered thousand dollar mistake thinking that the 9,000 lb advertised CCC was really true and you could go fill up the fuel tank, carry around four people and a full tank of water without exceeding the Manufacture's stated limits. Some folks don't what to deal in facts and want to live in their own world of belief, why call Newmar and get the actual production weight of the coach you just purchased when you can listen to the dealer or what other defenders say on the internet. For me, I want to see the facts and will believe the Newmar production weight report and know that the loading can only go up from there....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VT4369.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	115189  
Old 12-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #41

2016 Ventana 4369 weights

I have not gathered data from a lot of actual 4369 owners, but the ones I've heard from add about 2,100 lbs of "stuff" to their RV over and above the factory weight. This includes fuel fuel, full water, supplies, and 2 people. The distribution of this weight can vary depending on where it is located, but the few folks I've heard from are anywhere between 300 - 500 lbs. lighter than the 14,700 front axle weight rating.

I agree that it seems impossible to load the full 9,000 lbs and not be overweight on one or more of the axles, but also keep in mind the full 9,000 is not available. For example, the weight of the options on the weight report from the above poster is listed as 1,473 lbs. This will vary by each coach depending on what options are included, how many people are in the coach, etc.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
CCC should be treated the same way as MSRP. Read the number and discount by 30%.

Tags
vent, weight