Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2016, 06:28 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2016 Ventana LE??

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, although I have been reading this forum for a while and have gained a wealth of information. So thanks to everyone and I hope someday I will be able to make a difference on this forum for someone as well!

My wife and I are seeking to buy our first RV. We are selling our home and my wife is going into travel nursing, so we will be full timing it! Over the past 6 months or so I have been searching online high and low information about RVs and have narrowed it down to a Newmar. My wife and I took a trip to tour the plant in Indiana last week. It was great and we learned a lot!
Our house closing date is Feb. 29th (I am going to miss this log home!) It is very quickly coming time for us to purchase the RV. I have found super great deals at RVOne Supercenters on a 2015 Ventana LE 38'. They also have a 2016 40' that I am looking at. So here is my question...

Does anyone know if the 40' Ventana Le for 2016 has a tow of 10,000lbs? I think it has the 360hp ISB and it also has the 3000 Allison trans. Therefore it should be rated at 10,000lbs tow. I am planning to tow a 2014 Harley Ultra Limited (880lbs) and a 2012 Hyaundai sonata (3,200lbs) and the dolly that tows it all (800lbs). I have been looking at all the weight limits of both RVs and I think they both would work, although pushing the 2015 LE to its limit. Any information about these vehicles would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help!
Dave
lionofjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 06:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I own a 2016 Ventana LE 4002. All LE models have a 5000lb hitch.

Make sure you pay attention to loading as well. The new LE has very little room for load on the front axle. With a full tank of fuel, propane and two passengers, you become limited on cargo.

I'm not sounding an alarm, but simply giving you more data to make an educated decision.

I am a part-timer and having a light amount of cargo with three passengers puts me very close to the limit of the front axle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
Thanks unw1red! I don't know why they did that when the Ventana has the same set up as this in the past, and it was rated at 10,000lb tow. I wonder if I can upgrade the hitch. The weak point on the older Le was the 2500 trans, but if they are putting in a 3000 on the 40' with a 360hp motor then it should be good to go? They say they upgraded the frame as well??

I will also revisit the loading factors as well.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The hitch is identical to the 10,000lb on the higher models. It has been rated lower by Newmar to fall within specs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:

Make sure you pay attention to loading as well. The new LE has very little room for load on the front axle. With a full tank of fuel, propane and two passengers, you become limited on cargo.

I'm not sounding an alarm, but simply giving you more data to make an educated decision.

I am a part-timer and having a light amount of cargo with three passengers puts me very close to the limit of the front axle.
Correct me if this is wrong, but the 2015 VTDP does not have the front axle problem, right?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Correct me if this is wrong, but the 2015 VTDP does not have the front axle problem, right?
Try not to misconstrue my message. I am not comparing this to the 2016 DS and VT with tag axle. I cannot speak for the 2015 model as all my research and data pertains to my and a few friend's 2016 VTLE.

The GVWR, in my opinion, can never be reached without overloading the front axle by thousands of pounds. With only me (300lbs), a full propane and ~40 gallons of diesel (water weight was insignificant at the time of weighing), I have about 700lbs left on my front axle before I hit the 12,400lb rating.

When I add my wife, daughter and 60 more gallons of fuel, I am over the weight limit and still ~3,000lbs under GVWR. I have a slide tray in the middle basement compartment and nothing in the storage behind entrance door. I have shifted as much weight to the rear as possible (I may have 100lbs I can still rearrange) and still cannot have all my tanks full for boondocking.

I am thinking about reviewing with Newmar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #7

2015 Ventana

You may want to look at a remaining 2015 Ventana on a dealer's lot instead of the LE. The Ventana's have 10,000 lbs (GCWR minus GVWR). The under 40ft models have a 380HP engine while the 40 and 43 models have 400HP. You should be able to get a larger $$ discount on a 2015.
FLCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #8

Unw1red, when you posted your weights last year you recorded a front axle weight of about 11360 lbs with a full diesel tank and just you on board. The weights you mention above seem quite different. What has changed if anything in the meantime.
Nzbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Try not to misconstrue my message. I am not comparing this to the 2016 DS and VT with tag axle. I cannot speak for the 2015 model as all my research and data pertains to my and a few friend's 2016 VTLE.

The GVWR, in my opinion, can never be reached without overloading the front axle by thousands of pounds. With only me (300lbs), a full propane and ~40 gallons of diesel (water weight was insignificant at the time of weighing), I have about 700lbs left on my front axle before I hit the 12,400lb rating.

When I add my wife, daughter and 60 more gallons of fuel, I am over the weight limit and still ~3,000lbs under GVWR. I have a slide tray in the middle basement compartment and nothing in the storage behind entrance door. I have shifted as much weight to the rear as possible (I may have 100lbs I can still rearrange) and still cannot have all my tanks full for boondocking.

I am thinking about reviewing with Newmar.
I'm not trying to misconstrue anything. I only mentioned the difference between 2015 and 2016 models because the OP said he was considering both.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzbelle View Post
Unw1red, when you posted your weights last year you recorded a front axle weight of about 11360 lbs with a full diesel tank and just you on board. The weights you mention above seem quite different. What has changed if anything in the meantime.
The first weight I took was askew. I had the steer overlapping slightly onto the drive scale. My accurate weight sheet is posted below. This is with ~40 gallons of fuel, a full propane tank, ~35 gallons of fresh water, black and grey tanks empty, and myself onboard with my part-time load in the basement compartments. I also have a slide in the middle basement compartment.

For your reading enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1910.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	117050  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi lionofjuda,
Consider going to Newmar and taking a look at the brochures for the coaches you are considering. The answers to your questions are in the specifications pages. Try this link:
http://www.newmarcorp.com/resources/brochures/
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:28 AM   #12

Unw1red, in your LE 4002 do you have the optional 8kw generator and the residential refrigerator? I imagine they might add a few hundred pounds to the front axle weight.

We are thinking of getting a 2017 LE 4002 so I hope any weight issues are sorted out before then.
Nzbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We do have the residential fridge with the extra batteries. Standard generator.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK finally got the info from the Newmar rep. The Ventana Le is still rated at 5000lbs tow. The 2016 brochure had nothing about the tow weights. Thanks for everyones response!

Tags
vent