Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Thanks for the updates. I've been wondering the same thing regarding the power on the 40' le's. Safe travels
Ugh!!! I thought the 360hp was big enough???

Could it have been something else holding it back? I normally only drive around 62, but I would want the power if I needed it to go faster when passing someone. My gasser gets up to 75 real quick when I need it.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
House batteries could be bad from abuse on the dealer lot. Allowed to go dead, repeatedly...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Love following this kind of thread.
Thank you for sharing the journey!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #18

I have a '17 LE with the 360 and don't find it underpowered except in first gear. It ain't speedy off the line but after it shifts into second it gets better.
We have been towing a Jeep Wrangler but have just bought a '14 Ford XLT 4x4. Hope it's going to tow as well as the Jeep does. If it doesn't then I'll go back to the Jeep.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
I have a '17 LE with the 360 and don't find it underpowered except in first gear. It ain't speedy off the line but after it shifts into second it gets better.
We have been towing a Jeep Wrangler but have just bought a '14 Ford XLT 4x4. Hope it's going to tow as well as the Jeep does. If it doesn't then I'll go back to the Jeep.
Today I continued my drive back to Florida. I drove 550 miles in 9 hours of total drive time with a 20 minute stop for fueling. I set the coach at 65 on cruise and it maintained it, except when I did go up inclines in South Carolina going from Greer to Columbia. I noticed it pulled down to low 50's. The coach was carrying full water, 1/2 tank of propane and about 3/4 tank of fuel, 3 passengers who probably weighed in at 550 pounds total. Personal items probably weighed no more than 75 pounds. The coach is continuing to not show signs of power burst and I defiintely think that it will not go much faster than low 70's on level ground - this without a tow vehicle and the items I listed on board for the trip. I am thinking about contacting Freightliner to go over that issue with them. However, the ride is very impressive and comfortable!

Everything on the coach, as far as I can tell, is working EXCEPT the kitchen slide that contains the sink. I will call Newmar about it tomorrow and see what they advise to do. I have read where these new controllers seem to go to sleep or have to be re-set - I hope that is the fix. The other slides are working easily and steady when going out and in.

Continue to find the coach is SO easy to drive. It was so relaxing - when I got in tonight I didn't feel like I had been driving at all. Four of us got into my Lincoln MKX to go to dinner and commented how much harder the car drove than the motorhome. Will have to get Newmar much credit for comfort drive. I have not adjusted it at all and have felt nothing. I am driving it as 2.5 setting per recommendation from my sales person.

Mileage is hard for me determine at this point. I am guessing around 9.5, but I will have to continue to monitor it. I will try to fill the coach up and then be able to tell you how many gallons I have put in the coach, how many miles driven and how many hours I have put on the generator since I owned it.

That's it for today. I continue to be impressed overall with the coach. I do have one critical change I will have to get made. The table top is out permanently, when the slides are in, we have only 6 inches between the table top and the chair and only 3 inches between it and the slide out extension. My wife needs at least 16 inches to pass by. I will be looking for ideas for a fix. My idea is to cut the top and then make it a fold down top. This would provide another 18 inches clearance at a minimum.

Until I get some answers on these things I will go silent.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #20

Gamaliel kid
The ISB engine is the same as is in the Dodge diesel pick up truck. So I wouldn't expect to have great excellaration. We have a 2017 Dutch star 4369 and it has an ISL 450 Cummings. I find this setup just adequate
And no more.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #21

Your table will slide in. It's, for lack of a better word, snug. Stand. At the end and push with you hands and legs. If it's all the way out it will go in.
Maybe my foot is heavier but I have no problem getting 70+. I have to set the cruise control to 60-65 so I'm not running too fast.
As soon as I install base plate and wiring for lights I'll be towing an F150 crew cab.
Have not checked the weight difference between the 150 and the Wrangler.
Last September we came over Vail pass with no problem. We. Weren't the fastest but we weren't the slowest either.
We love ours.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:25 AM   #22

Good luck with your new rig- I hope that after a few miles you gain some power.
I have been looking a a used dutch star- 3-8 years old or a new le- about the same price.
the dutch star with bigger motor but used or a LE new- with the 360.

not getting to 70 on flat ground would be a deal breaker for me. Thats the speed in most slow lanes today.

maybe it power restricted till it breaks in?

Please keep us updated.
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #23

Today I spoke to Freightliner who referred me to Cummins. Cummins advised that the fuel could have excessive water build up and suggested I drain the tank to check on water and replace the fuel filter. If that doesn't increase the power after driving and rechecking water in fuel then I will have Cummins check it out. Since the coach had been on the lot for 16 months in the Charlotte area, the chances of water condensation makes sense to me. I sure hope that is the problem. I will keep posting on this topic until I get an answer. Obviously, if the fuel has excessive water it will not burn with as much combustion and reduce the power greatly.

I then took the coach to Camping Connection in Kissimmee and I am having max air vent covers put over the fantastic fans. I am also considering adding a permanent macerator to the coach - I loved it on my 2006 Dutch Star.

I will keep the thread going until I hopefully find an answer to the power issue.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
It will be interesting to find out what's up with the power issue.
It should have a "water in fuel" indicator, no?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
The 360/800 in our 40' coach will allow us to drive as fast as we want although highway travel usually ends up about 62-65, we do slow down to sometimes 25 or 30 on very steep grades.

If your coach has electric toilets, they may have macerators built into them already. Also with the frige, keep an eye on your house voltage and don't allow it to go below 12 or so. Run the generator for a few hours if it does. When we boondock we have to run the genny 6 hours a day to keep the batteries up or the inverter shuts off.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #26

Bill, I called Newmar and they told me it does NOT slide in any further. I couldn't believe they would have designed something like this - but apparently they have. Some similar in this model fold down flush and have a leg to support it. I also had an independent shop look at it and their opinion is that you can not "force" it in either. Newmar is sending me a design fix for it, but I will not get it for a month or so and they tell me that they can't do it for me until August - not reasonable to me. I bought the coach by pictures, I guess this is a case of doing the classic mistake of making an assumption - and the assumption was wrong. We will take it out before we leave it in the way it is. I will be seeking an independent cabinet shop to look at it for us. I live in Davenport, Florida. If someone knows of a good place to take it in our area I would appreciate a name and phone number.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #27

Agaveguy, we don't have macerator toilets. I will probably add the macerator as it has so many advantages IMO. Longer reach from flex line, can pump uphill and much cleaner to use. I set the cruise to 65 and it maintained it on flat land. Didn't climb any really steep inclines I guess, but it did drop below 50 without a tow or any cargo load. I will add at least 1,000 pounds when traveling and will be towing a 2014 CRV. Cummins did say they thought it should do better, so we will go thru the fuel drain and filter replacement. I hope it does get better - I would also think that it would get better just from driving if it is water also. I have no trips planned as of the moment, but make one just to "burn" fuel lols!
Old 02-13-2017, 06:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
Bill, I called Newmar and they told me it does NOT slide in any further. I couldn't believe they would have designed something like this - but apparently they have. Some similar in this model fold down flush and have a leg to support it. I also had an independent shop look at it and their opinion is that you can not "force" it in either. Newmar is sending me a design fix for it, but I will not get it for a month or so and they tell me that they can't do it for me until August - not reasonable to me. I bought the coach by pictures, I guess this is a case of doing the classic mistake of making an assumption - and the assumption was wrong. We will take it out before we leave it in the way it is. I will be seeking an independent cabinet shop to look at it for us. I live in Davenport, Florida. If someone knows of a good place to take it in our area I would appreciate a name and phone number.

GK, mine does not go in completely. It pulls out to make room for the fold up chairs, which are under the bed. So there is always about half the table that is out.
Maybe mine is different. I'm not sure what its called, table/crendaza??
It's listed on the build sheet for 2017.

As for the power I'm hooking up to my new toad today, Ford F-150. I hope its going to pull it???
Good luck with your coach. I think you're going to love it.

Tags
vent, ventana