Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 03:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2016 Ventana w/passive steer tag - SNAP PADs???

Hey Ventana owner’s with TAG and HWH jack stands:

I ordered a set of SNAP PADS to go on my coach...they arrived today and when I went to install them... I notice the rear stands retract very close to the suspension arm going to the tag axle.

Has anyone installed SNAP PADs on this configuration? Will the pads stay on during retraction, or will they get scrubbed off when they hit the suspension arm for the tag axle?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mine's a Dutch Star and may be different, but I found they were fairy close, but there have been no issues. The SnapPads are hexagon shaped, so I made sure that one of the flat sides was facing where the suspension was close.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:16 PM   #3

We have an ‘03 Winnebago with a 325 HWH leveling system. Don’t mean to jump into a Newmar thread but we put Snap-Pads on ours this year. The rear jacks, when retracted, hit the HWH framing causing the pads to tilt outward. I called Snap-Pads directly and, after seeing the pics I sent, they had me trim the pads to help them seat better without compromising the pads integrity. IF this is your problem a call to Snap-Pads may help. Sorry to barge in but hope this helps.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No...appreciate that.

I have a couple of points that appear to be conflicted. I guess I can mod them...but not sure if the Integrity of the pad will suffer too much.

I'll make a cardboard template to see exactly what clearance I have to work with. I didn't want to put them on and then find out I have to get them off or ruin them.

Wish is were as easy as I thought it would be. Oh well...easy isn't something that equates to motorhome design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_165107.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	306614  
Old 10-31-2020, 08:06 PM   #5

Well that’s tight. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7644_Original.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	306618
Ours looked like this, if you can see it. Snap-Pad helped us, give them a try. They were very concerned and helpful.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmar View Post
Well that’s tight. Attachment 306618
Ours looked like this, if you can see it. Snap-Pad helped us, give them a try. They were very concerned and helpful.
I think I will have this issue also on my front jacks. While checking into Snap Pads there is a note about having 2" of clearance. I don't have this much.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I returned the ones I had ordered.

I was hoping to have a "snap on" solution from having to deploy and redeploy pads each time we park on a relatively flat site...but one that requires pads to help prevent marking asphalt, or leaving "rust stains", or so I was told...on Pavers.

Before I sent them back...

The front HWH pad is 8"... the Snap Pad is 9 3/4"

The rear HWH pad is 11 1/2...the Snap Pad is 13 3/4"

They are molded in an octagon...those measurements are at the narrowest point across two parallel sides.

I wish I had the clearance to install them, but I'm not dealing with the fallout of installing them improperly, and potential problems.

Sounded like a good idea at the time.

I should have queried someone that had the pads and made a template to use to check my clearance. Actually, had I looked when my pads were retracted...I don't think there would have been a question. My tag axle arm is really close, and there is another 1/4" steel angle that nearly touches the pad as well. Without snappads.

Thanks for the replys...I was dragging my feet on accepting the inevitable.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #8

Snap Pads

Charlie,

I wish I had read your post earlier. We have snap pads on our 2016 Ventana 4369 with HWH jacks. I had the same concerns as you, but after talking to the folks at Snap Pad, I trimmed off part of the pad that touched the suspension parts after rotating it to minimize how much was touching. It only rubbed on the passenger side rear. The rest had no clearance issues. We've had them on since last summer and have not had any problems. Let me know if you need any photos.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
Charlie,

I wish I had read your post earlier. We have snap pads on our 2016 Ventana 4369 with HWH jacks. I had the same concerns as you, but after talking to the folks at Snap Pad, I trimmed off part of the pad that touched the suspension parts after rotating it to minimize how much was touching. It only rubbed on the passenger side rear. The rest had no clearance issues. We've had them on since last summer and have not had any problems. Let me know if you need any photos.
Thank you...

I thought about trimming. I think there is a reasonably significant difference from chassis to chassis. Mine would require so much material to be removed...that the structural integrity of the snap pad would definitely become compromised.

Hope to run into you guys sometime... Maybe I can look at them first hand should our paths cross.

Tags
vent, ventana