Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 06:08 AM   #1

2017 DS - Additional Wiring from Passenger Side Televator Area to Front A/V Cabinet

Does anyone know how to run additional wiring from the front overhead A/V cabinet to the passenger side televator area? I assume this would not be an easy thing to do.

Thanks!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I think you're right. It would be quite a task. Tell us what you're trying to achieve and maybe we can come up with a solution?
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
Does anyone know how to run additional wiring from the front overhead A/V cabinet to the passenger side televator area? I assume this would not be an easy thing to do.

Thanks!
I recently had Newmar run an ethernet from the overhead A/V box to the dinette. To me, this would be impossible. To Newmar, no problem. What they did was removed the left side of the front window plastic cover where a lot of wires run up this column. This is your path down. Much of the path from front to rear is in the top center of your generator compartment. There is a bunch of foam sealant goop you'd have to remove but that's the channel to go aft. In my VTDP a lot of the audio cables deep behind the kitchen (on my passenger side) go to the opposite side of the coach so I'm not sure if most cabling passes up the driver's side or what.

Long story longer, if you have any intentions of visiting Newmar request an estimate for what you want and they can likely do it. But this is what I observed recently done in my cable additions. And I am really happy to offload some of my A/V box contents and networking gear to the dinette cabinets now.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I think you're right. It would be quite a task. Tell us what you're trying to achieve and maybe we can come up with a solution?
I need to run an Ethernet cable to accommodate communication between 2 pieces of equipment. I’m adding Savant AV equipment.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #5

Easy to do if done as a special during the build. Not so easy after the fact. Challenge is that since the televator if part of the front passenger slide that the wiring effectively goes from the AV cabinet, down into the basement, across the basement to the folding cable channel that you can see on the bottom of the slide, then up into the slide and televator.

This is based on a 4369. You didn't say what your model is but is likely a similar situation.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Easy to do if done as a special during the build. Not so easy after the fact. Challenge is that since the televator if part of the front passenger slide that the wiring effectively goes from the AV cabinet, down into the basement, across the basement to the folding cable channel that you can see on the bottom of the slide, then up into the slide and televator.

This is based on a 4369. You didn't say what your model is but is likely a similar situation.
I have a 4369. I can’t find that folding cable channel. Can you tell me how to locate it?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

It is on the bottom of the slide out, kind of a 1x2inch rectangular shape.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a scissor like contraption that extends/retracts with the slide.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
It is on the bottom of the slide out, kind of a 1x2inch rectangular shape.
I think you guys might be misunderstanding me. I’m not talking about the full wall DS slide. I’m trying to get cable into the PS slide (the kitchen one) - 4369 floorplans.

PM me your phone number and I will call you, if you don’t mind, at your convenience so that you can explain this to me further.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Look on wall under sink. Not at all an audiophile but there is a box with cat5 or 6 cable along with HDMI connections, just noticed it yesterday as trying to get IR blaster to work from one remote and looking for sub.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #11

Quote:
I need to run an Ethernet cable to accommodate communication between 2 pieces of equipment. I’m adding Savant AV equipment.

What are your intents with the Savant system. Is it just to have a fancy remote or are you doing a complete AV redo?
Avspaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avspaces View Post
What are your intents with the Savant system. Is it just to have a fancy remote or are you doing a complete AV redo?
I’ve already done the AV redo. I’m going to combine all of my remotes into their remote pro plus adding shade control and hopefully lighting control.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Look on wall under sink. Not at all an audiophile but there is a box with cat5 or 6 cable along with HDMI connections, just noticed it yesterday as trying to get IR blaster to work from one remote and looking for sub.
Thanks! I see it. Any idea where these cables come from?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:08 AM   #14

Quote:
I’ve already done the AV redo. I’m going to combine all of my remotes into their remote pro plus adding shade control and hopefully lighting control.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing with me what you did as part of your redo I am in the early planning stages now. Did you just replace the existing equipment with better quality components or did you rewire the coach for added functionality with a matrix switch or such.

I am planning a full AV redo of our KADB when we get home from our FPU and am planning on using an automation system to tie in all the AV as well as the KIB lighting/shades and Silverleaf.
Avspaces is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring